Author Topic: Aetheris Pyrism  (Read 37682 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Aetheris Pyrism
« Reply #75: May 02, 2012, 09:52:56 PM »
The Devourer isn't that bad. Hemaism has a god named the Destroyer, and Sint has an army named the Arm of the Destroyer.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Madigan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: May 03, 2012, 05:13:52 PM »
The Devourer isn't that bad. Hemaism has a god named the Destroyer, and Sint has an army named the Arm of the Destroyer.

This is a slippery slope: first the Devourer is ok, then the Annihilator, then the Destroyer and so on. Where does it end, I ask you!

Serious inquiry though - does anyone know what happened to the Tyrist synod? I thought we were supposed to have one somewhere down the line.
Silverfire: So who married Alice?
Woelfy: She's married to Hendrick Madigan
Silverfire: How much would it cost for someone to assasinate Hendrick Madigan for me

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: May 03, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »
Serious inquiry though - does anyone know what happened to the Tyrist synod? I thought we were supposed to have one somewhere down the line.

The ball is in the Tyrists' court. If they don't step up and share their beliefs for the Church to approve or disapprove them there is not much we can do. So for now their Gods are not part of our official pantheon, nor are their beliefs part of ours.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: May 03, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »
The Devourer would kick the Destroyer's ass any day!

Madigan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: May 03, 2012, 09:20:46 PM »
The Devourer would kick the Destroyer's ass any day!

Aetheris Pyrism suddenly becomes the religion of picking fights. "My God would beat up yours" is the new "My dad is stronger than your dad".

The ball is in the Tyrists' court. If they don't step up and share their beliefs for the Church to approve or disapprove them there is not much we can do. So for now their Gods are not part of our official pantheon, nor are their beliefs part of ours.

Well, I hope they hurry and respond. I could use more religion chatter and things seem to be very quiet unless someone is seeing a God or I'm chopping off a finger.
Silverfire: So who married Alice?
Woelfy: She's married to Hendrick Madigan
Silverfire: How much would it cost for someone to assasinate Hendrick Madigan for me

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: May 03, 2012, 11:30:05 PM »
Well, I hope they hurry and respond. I could use more religion chatter and things seem to be very quiet unless someone is seeing a God or I'm chopping off a finger.

Well, I have been RPing a good share in Solaria, but I usually do that kind of thing in private, directly with the involved ones, and post it later to the wiki, either to the Aetheris Pyrism/Roleplays or to my character's page. Something tells me in the near future we'll have a good increase in RPing, anyway...
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: June 08, 2012, 04:57:48 PM »
This thread just makes me want to incorporate my old Arkhan'a religion into BM even more. :P Based off of Greek, Norse, Sumerian and Egyptian mythology with a few interesting twists, the religion itself is rife with rivalry. Every follower respects each of the pantheon's deities, yet like in many ancient polytheistic nations, individual nations, regions, and city-states tend to favor one god or goddess over another.

Hell, my entire proposed 3-part Fantasy novel series was effectively the war of the gods utterly f*cking the world to the point where mortal kind had to choose sides, which others went so far as to aspire to destroy the gods themselves. (With the help of certain ambitious and devious gods willing to trick mortals into becoming their champions, effectively recruiting living weapons with which to fell their own kind in their covetous desires. ;) )

I find SA to be too ''united" in its approach. That's why I prefer pre-Monotheistic religions where the dynamics were THERE. You had a proper spiritual reason and various major schools of thought that were complete anathema to one another, rather than the post-Christian 'we all believe in the same book, story, and god, yet find excuses to fight over minute details some delirious old men wrote in a desert cave a few hundred years ago', heh.

If SA is the equivalent of medieval Catholicism, I want to create an old-school panen/polytheistic system to rival that of the old heathens. It'll be one hell of a fun RP!
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: June 08, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »
This thread just makes me want to incorporate my old Arkhan'a religion into BM even more. :P Based off of Greek, Norse, Sumerian and Egyptian mythology with a few interesting twists, the religion itself is rife with rivalry. Every follower respects each of the pantheon's deities, yet like in many ancient polytheistic nations, individual nations, regions, and city-states tend to favor one god or goddess over another.

Hell, my entire proposed 3-part Fantasy novel series was effectively the war of the gods utterly f*cking the world to the point where mortal kind had to choose sides, which others went so far as to aspire to destroy the gods themselves. (With the help of certain ambitious and devious gods willing to trick mortals into becoming their champions, effectively recruiting living weapons with which to fell their own kind in their covetous desires. ;) )

I find SA to be too ''united" in its approach. That's why I prefer pre-Monotheistic religions where the dynamics were THERE. You had a proper spiritual reason and various major schools of thought that were complete anathema to one another, rather than the post-Christian 'we all believe in the same book, story, and god, yet find excuses to fight over minute details some delirious old men wrote in a desert cave a few hundred years ago', heh.

If SA is the equivalent of medieval Catholicism, I want to create an old-school panen/polytheistic system to rival that of the old heathens. It'll be one hell of a fun RP!

Go for it, this sounds like fun. I have always rather enjoyed the religion game in those rare instances in BM where it is vibrant. If you manage to get this off the ground somewhere, let me know...

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: June 08, 2012, 05:19:49 PM »
No problem!

Let me dust off my old notes next week. I'd start throwing ideas around this weekend but I have 2 concerts to go to so I'm going to be exhausted and drunk for most of the foreseeable future.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: June 08, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »
Hmm.. have you been in SA yet? We only look united from the outside. :)

Unfortunately, with the way that religion in BattleMaster works, it is really hard, if not impossible, to have individual sects. the game treats everyone in a religion the exact same. There is no way to have individual message groups, parallel rank structures, assign followers to sects, etc.

This is also one of the few things that disappoints me about the way religion has evolved in BattleMaster. So far as I know, there are really few, or no, cases where you have a common theology that split into multiple related religions. I understand that one side of the Sartnina/Adgharhinist split acknowledges the other as worshiping the same god. But I never really got any sense of that in-game, other than a brief nod to it in some basic background explanation. It never really seemed to have any effect in-game. I would really like to see something where we end up with multiple religions all worshiping the same god, or each worshiping a different god of the same pantheon.

I suppose this is because it is so hard to schism, you're starting from ground zero every time. And most likely because just about everyone who starts a religion has their own new, original idea they want to try. It would be nice to see people take the existing theologies and go with them. The religious scene then may not look so fractured and piecemeal.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: June 08, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
The Duke of Greyhold is joining the church once he gets off his bum and makes it to a temple. Hooray polytheists!

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: June 08, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »
Hmm, I'd have no problem fragmenting my pantheon into multiple churches, though due to in-game mechanics that's more of a handicap than a gameplay strategy. If a re-write was ever made allowing branches/chapters within a religion or group of religions (Sort of like diplomacy for religion I guess), then that'd be one thing. The current system rewards clumping of power... Perhaps if new mechanics were added, giving individual benefits for BOTH a build-up of numbers/followers/powers AND a more nomadic/loose/isolated religion system, since realistically each has their ups and downs, then it would make the religious systems much more interesting.

In the end, it mostly boils down to having the time, patience, and skill to make a religion and run it without getting bored or frustrated. Hence why I'm going to become a Priest when I get a chance, have a little fun on the side. ;)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: June 08, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »
This is also one of the few things that disappoints me about the way religion has evolved in BattleMaster.

I think a lot of people feel this way.

Hence why now is the perfect time to give the religion system a makeover; we've already been getting some major makeovers to some big facets of the game recently.

New Estates, New Trade System, New Takeovers.... New Religion!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: June 08, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »
I think a lot of people feel this way.

Hence why now is the perfect time to give the religion system a makeover; we've already been getting some major makeovers to some big facets of the game recently.

New Estates, New Trade System, New Takeovers.... New Religion!
+1
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: June 08, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »
Religious schisms have been on the TODO list for a few years now, and there is at least an informal plan to accomplish this by creating sects within a religion, which can then essentially secede from the parent religion and form their own.

Not going to happen immediately, though.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan