Author Topic: The Balaria Thread  (Read 69153 times)

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Balaria Thread
« Reply #75: August 14, 2012, 07:33:34 AM »
Just read all of the Guardian Spirits today. I was disappointed it only lasted me a day of reading though. :P
For some reason, I had gotten a vibe that the goddess Lorien was really more malicious than what she was made out to be.

The only criticism I would say, is that the ending seemed a bit rushed. Kinda was expecting more action from Derien after his show in Ramyn.

I'm very anxious to read your next long term story. However,  I'd really like to see more of the characters from the Guardian Spirit.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: August 14, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
Just read all of the Guardian Spirits today. I was disappointed it only lasted me a day of reading though. :P

On the other hand I'm glad to hear it was interesting enough you read it in a single day :)

For some reason, I had gotten a vibe that the goddess Lorien was really more malicious than what she was made out to be.

She's not as black and white as her followers make her out to be, but she's not entirely evil either. It's something I wanted to give hints at, not really reveal right out since there are further stories coming.

The only criticism I would say, is that the ending seemed a bit rushed. Kinda was expecting more action from Derien after his show in Ramyn.

At the time I wrote it I was relatively happy with the ending, but as time has gone by I'd agree with you. The ending does need a bit of beefing up. It's something I plan to do once I have the third story done. I'll go through all three pieces and edit them with the experience gained from writing them and with the feedback I've gotten.

I'm very anxious to read your next long term story. However,  I'd really like to see more of the characters from the Guardian Spirit.

Nala will be the main character in the story I'm writing after Voyage of Elwar Soran.

And there are several stories in my mind where she appears(several are hinted at in VoES, some including Cheid). Cheid will play a role in the story how Eleria became the empress of Ramyn. But these are stories I might get to next year at the earliest since it seems to take 3-4 months to finish a longer story.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: August 16, 2012, 03:25:22 AM »
Aieeeeee! Was reading part 3 of Alwar's Voyage when it abruptly ended! Curse you Lilwolf!  ;D

Looking forward to more!

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: August 16, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »
Aieeeeee! Was reading part 3 of Alwar's Voyage when it abruptly ended! Curse you Lilwolf!  ;D

Looking forward to more!

This Sunday will see a new chapter out and the Sunday after that will see the final chapter out.

In the meantime, I finally completed one of the short stories that had been laying around just waiting. It's about the Northern Barbarians on Balaria and their Midsummer Festival. Maybe you'll like it as well :) Link: Midsummer Festival

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: August 19, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »
Let’s start with the traditional new Sunday chapter. That is, chapter 18 of our story. It’s the second to last one and sheds some light to the events that took place in the previous chapter. It takes the story even further away from the traditional roots of the genre, but I hope it works :)

As usual, new chapter has been added to the part three PDF: The Voyage of Elwar Soran – Part Three

Also, a bit of an heads up that my website might be unreachable for a day or two in the nearby days or weeks. I’m changing my hosting company as the current one has become unbearably expensive compared to what you get with your money. So, if some day the website doesn’t load, don’t be alarmed. Just try again the next day :)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: August 26, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
Well, the day has finally come. It’s done. All 354 pages, 131,300+ words of it. The last chapter is here and so ends the epic voyage of our heroes. Not much to say about the last chapter other than I hope it is an worthy ending to the story. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Without any further blabbering, here are the links:

The Voyage of Elwar Soran – Part Three

The Voyage of Elwar Soran – The Entire Novel

It will probably be a while until the next story starts seeing chapter releases. I have about 20 pages of it written already, but I’m not sure I like any of it. Will have to write more to see :)

Meanwhile, after you’ve completed reading VoES, here’s a little something to give you a glimpse of things to come(I reserve the right to make changes as necessary): Link to image.

Fury

« Reply #81: August 26, 2012, 09:55:46 PM »
Two thumbs up, LilWolf  :D
Loved the philosophical ending and the description of the moment of return, well I felt it man  ;)
I just know the next story is going to be about the Fireborn.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: August 28, 2012, 07:34:11 AM »
Fantasy into sci-fi ftw!

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: August 28, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
I just know the next story is going to be about the Fireborn.

Sorry, but no. Though there's plenty of material for stories about them later on :)

Fantasy into sci-fi ftw!

I only hope I can manage to continue it from that little start :)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: September 16, 2012, 02:49:51 PM »
Good news everyone!

After much consideration and rewriting and tuning, here is the first chapter of the new long term story: Horizon. As with Voyage of Elwar Soran, we jump ahead in time and get a glimpse of what the world has become. This also marks the return of Nala as the main character. I hope I managed to make the first chapter an appealing one, though I have to admit this one starts more slowly than my previous stories and because of its setting it might take a little getting used to.

Please note that you will get a lot more out of the story if you’ve read the two previous ones. So while you can read this as a stand-alone story, I would suggest against it.

And without further rambling, here’s the link to it: Horizon

I hope it peaks your interests. Whether this is the point at which I start releasing a chapter every week, I’m not yet fully certain, but I hope that is the case. We’ll have to see how the writing goes.

Fury

« Reply #85: September 17, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »
Server down?

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: September 17, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »
Server down?

Works fine for me. The move to a new host happened a few weeks ago so that shouldn't be an issue either.

But here's an alternate link: Horizon
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:15:18 PM by LilWolf »

Fury

« Reply #87: September 19, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »
Any summary like on the back of a book?  :)
Have no idea what to expect from elves in space.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: September 19, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
Any summary like on the back of a book?  :)
Have no idea what to expect from elves in space.

The second chapter should shed a lot of light on things, but I suppose it might go something like this:

The world has changed and most of all for the elves. The air has become toxic, forcing them to wear masks in order to venture outside. Their forests have been diminished to a pale shadow of what they once were. In an daring attempt to ensure the survival of their race, the Elven High Council has put their hopes in a plan that would see their kind survive. Will Horizon live up to the hopes the elves have put in to it?

Not sure if that helps any :)

Fury

« Reply #89: September 19, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »
Hmmm, ship in space picks up something from another ship in space. Story title is Horizon. Event Horizon?  :o