Author Topic: Protest Options?  (Read 5339 times)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Protest Options?
« Topic Start: September 19, 2011, 05:28:43 AM »
New local lord appointed   (25 minutes ago)
Gregor Relak, Duke of Westmoor has appointed Arica as the new Countess of Hagley.
[protest options]

This is more an idle question, but I've noticed it for awhile.  Why is there a protest button when you cannot protest anyone but the members of the Royal Council?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Protest Options?
« Reply #1: September 19, 2011, 05:38:32 AM »
New local lord appointed   (25 minutes ago)
Gregor Relak, Duke of Westmoor has appointed Arica as the new Countess of Hagley.
[protest options]

This is more an idle question, but I've noticed it for awhile.  Why is there a protest button when you cannot protest anyone but the members of the Royal Council?

To voice your disagreement with the appointment :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 19, 2011, 06:02:01 AM »
Yes, but you can't protest the person who made the appointment.

"I completely disagree with the Duke appointing Sir Blatheralot as the lord of Blatherington, so to show my disgust, I protest against the Banker!"

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #3: September 19, 2011, 06:07:08 AM »
^  What Velax said.  Which is my point.  Only the Judge, General, Banker and Ruler can be protested.  Yet when Dukes do things (Army sponsors too, I think.  I'd have to double check), they get the "Protest Options" button...  Yet you cannot actually protest -them-.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 19, 2011, 06:11:56 AM »
Yes, but you can't protest the person who made the appointment.

"I completely disagree with the Duke appointing Sir Blatheralot as the lord of Blatherington, so to show my disgust, I protest against the Banker!"

I would think it is a hold over from Ruler appointments, before Dukes were around.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 19, 2011, 07:42:47 AM »
I would think it is a hold over from Ruler appointments, before Dukes were around.

Indeed. Should be removed, imo.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 19, 2011, 11:50:22 AM »
It would be nice protesting Dukes and Lords...
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 19, 2011, 07:55:16 PM »
It would be nice protesting Dukes and Lords...

And completely unmedieval.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #8: September 19, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »
And completely unmedieval.

As oppposed to protesting kings? bankers?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 19, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
As oppposed to protesting kings? bankers?

Unruly kings did have rebellions on their hands.

But the high nobility arguing about who becomes the next baron of Farfaraway land...? Never heard of such a thing.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #10: September 19, 2011, 09:25:39 PM »
Ah, but there were uprisings/rebellions/long standing arguments when a claim supported by groups of nobles weren't recognized.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 19, 2011, 09:46:26 PM »
If I remember correctly, the last time this came up, Tom mentioned that it would be unthinkable to publicly protest your liege lord. So no one would stand up in public and proclaim that their duke was wrong. If you felt that this was the case, you would mention it privately, and discretely, if at all. Thus, there would be no "protest your duke" option added to the game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 19, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »
odd that. by extension dukes shouldn't be allowed to (publicly) protest the king then?
firefox

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 20, 2011, 02:31:51 PM »
odd that. by extension dukes shouldn't be allowed to (publicly) protest the king then?

Good point :)

Also, wouldn't a "Support" action be nice? Publicly support an action of a council member, even if it is impopular? (such as Judge rulings)

Chaotrance13

« Reply #14: September 20, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
Good point :)

Also, wouldn't a "Support" action be nice? Publicly support an action of a council member, even if it is impopular? (such as Judge rulings)

But then that may cause some degree of complication. If you remember, protests can at the moment be vocal (so your name is attached) or more covert. Would the Support action have the same idea behind it? If so, then overtly supporting an action that is unpopular can cause trouble for the character in question. But then, I suppose they know what they would be getting into, so it might well be a moot point (intrigue, yay!).

The second point though is how "Support" and "Protest" would react, if at all. An example - it takes 5 protest "votes" to remove the Judge from office. Those protests are made, but someone also hits the "Support" action and means that without an extra protest, the Judge cannot be removed. On the one hand, I can see this being abused to some degree. On the other, if the protests are so overwhelming that it would drown out any support, then there is no issue.

In short, it would be a nice idea. But I'm firstly waiting for a certain someone to come along with his trademark "Requested, discussed, and rejected" line, and proceed to make people feel stupid for even suggesting the idea in the first place. The second would that as I mentioned right at the start, it could be complicated. But a whole lot of fun if it devolves into some kind of rebellion or civil war, I suppose.. ;D