Author Topic: autoban for switching sides in war  (Read 15029 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: autoban for switching sides in war
« Topic Start: October 05, 2011, 06:48:03 PM »
But if you're saying "changing to another realm should always get a ban", I'm OK with that.

The game cannot figure out what kinds of RP oaths people make with each other.

The game cannot know whether a secession is friendly.

The game cannot, in general, know what the players are thinking, and therefore must make certain assumptions.

That was exactly my point. The game cannot know the exact circumstances behind someone changing allegiance. And do we really want to start banning people because they *might* have done something?

The players, on the other hand, can both know what they are thinking and take actions to compensate for inflexible game assumptions.

One of those actions is lifting autobans.

Thus, I submit that autobanning in every case is significantly better than autobanning in no cases.
Why were they removed in the first place?

I would, however, prefer autobans only if the realm being joined is at neutral or lower relations—possibly peaceful relations too, not sure about that.
If it's the fact that you're possibly betraying your oath, then what do realm relations have to do with it? Is it somehow not possibly betraying your oath if you leave to go to an allied realm? Seems to me that so far as honor is concerned, you're betraying your oath regardless of the diplomatic status of the two realms involved.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.