Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1042645 times)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #2430: March 17, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
I thought Luria considered D'Hara one of theirs...?

Or is that reasoning used only when it's convenient?

Just their lands.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431: March 17, 2013, 10:48:38 PM »
There are many reasons that various SA realms could want to attack Aurvandil. None of it has anything to do with them being "heathen".

1) Aurvandil is the last of the self-proclaimed "League of Free Nations" that declared war on Sanguis Astroism in general, and Astrum specifically, in an effort to destroy it. (That's an approximate description, but close enough.)  This was spear-headed by Averoth and Caerwyn, with moral support from Madina. All three of those are dead. It turns out that everyone forgot about Aurvandil's participation in this, probably because they mostly kept their mouth shut, and were not publicly vocal about it. It was forgotten about until various new nobles joined SA, and brought it back to the forefront.

2) Mendicant declared that he wanted to "destroy religion", and that he views gods as nothing more than a pale imitation of monarchs. Aurvandil follows "monarchism", which is not a worship of monarchs, but a view that all you need is a monarch, and that gods are worthless/useless/powerless/etc. This is a paraphrasing, and Mendicant says that he supposedly never meant that he wanted to destroy all religion. Nevertheless, he said it. It is easily interpretable as "I'm better than any mere gods." Just about every religion on the island took this as a direct threat to them, and referred to it as Aurvandil's war on religion.

3) Aurvandil is sheltering Orthodox Astroism, a heretical Astroist faith led by there heretical Allison Kabrinski. Aurvandil even helped her establish her heretical faith by giving her a lordship from which to found the religion.

4) Falkirk is a buffer realm between the Lurias and Aurvandil. Having Falkirk wiped out frees up the Luria, Fissoa, and D'Hara to join the war on Aurvandil. In a way, Falkirk is nothing more than a pawn to everyone concerned. (Except perhaps to Falkirk themselves. :P ) Aurvandil wants it to survive as a continued distraction and buffer against the Lurias. (Although Aurvandil will vehemently deny this, that is the very function it performs, intended or not.) Everyone else wants it dead so that the Lurias and Fissoa can get on with the true business of wiping out Aurvandil. That and damn near everyone involved finds them to be extremely rude.

5) Falkirk and Aurvandil are inhabited by a lot of nobles that were in Thulsoma and Averoth, both of whom defied and attacked Sanguis Astroism, and Astroist realms. They are vocal opponents of Sanguis Astroism in general.

I'm sure there are probably a few other reasons, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

I hope you can see that in order to figure out why things are happening, you need to look beyond the immediate present. You need to look back into the past and learn the history of the various realms involved. And then you need to look at the effects of each of these intermediate situations, and figure out what this will accomplishing the global picture. Dwilight is a huge island with lots of realms. They are all interwoven to a great extent. Now that almost all the rogue lands are taken, and the realms are all bordering each other, politics gets pretty hectic and tangled. Nothing is as simple as it seems.

This is an excellent summary.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432: March 17, 2013, 11:57:14 PM »
Just shows D'hara is, and continues to be completely ignorant of Lurian politics, even when (perhaps especially) it concerns them. Especially the long building rift between Luria Vesperi, and the rest of Luria. Luria declared war on D'hara initially, then pretty much ignored D'hara for a significant period of time. D'hara being incapable of staging any sort of invasion against Luria in the time period between the initial war declaration by Luria Nova/Solaria and the new outbreak of conflict when D'hara got involved with LV. In that time frame, Luria reorganized with Luria Nova absorbing Solaria. During all of this, Luria really could care less about D'hara. However, rising tensions were present due to Luria Vesperi's breaking of the articles of the Lurian Confederacy by refusing to aid in the initial war against D'hara. War broke out between LN and LV, and D'hara placed itself in it. Thus, the second war (only a single war declaration was made, but it was two distinct periods of conflict) is the D'haran War of Interference. Lurians don't appreciate auslanders meddling in our affairs.

I think if tensions decreased, there might be more intermingling and thus learning of each other's cultural ways, histories, and perspectives. During the last campaign against Falkirk, it was pretty cool to see Lurians and D'Harans fighting alongside and exchanging pleasantries. So it's possible.

Just their lands.

And this is why tensions haven't decreased ;)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433: March 18, 2013, 12:13:44 AM »
I thought Luria considered D'Hara one of theirs...?

Or is that reasoning used only when it's convenient?

This.

Just shows D'hara is, and continues to be completely ignorant of Lurian politics, even when (perhaps especially) it concerns them. Especially the long building rift between Luria Vesperi, and the rest of Luria. Luria declared war on D'hara initially, then pretty much ignored D'hara for a significant period of time. D'hara being incapable of staging any sort of invasion against Luria in the time period between the initial war declaration by Luria Nova/Solaria and the new outbreak of conflict when D'hara got involved with LV. In that time frame, Luria reorganized with Luria Nova absorbing Solaria. During all of this, Luria really could care less about D'hara. However, rising tensions were present due to Luria Vesperi's breaking of the articles of the Lurian Confederacy by refusing to aid in the initial war against D'hara. War broke out between LN and LV, and D'hara placed itself in it. Thus, the second war (only a single war declaration was made, but it was two distinct periods of conflict) is the D'haran War of Interference. Lurians don't appreciate auslanders meddling in our affairs.

Two periods doesn't mean two wars. And if battles were few, they were not inexistant. Small skirmishes occured all through the war, even when D'Hara was focused West to reclaim their lost lands. It wasn't unable to land in the Lurias, because it proved otherwise later on, it just chose not to. And when it did come back against LN, it had nothing to do with LV, it was just because we were done reclaiming the duchy of Paisly in the West. And I couldn't care less about Lurian politics. It was one war declaration, one war. That make up ridiculous fluffy stories to say otherwise is of no importance to me. I know of the restructuration, and I know that Lurians can easily get extremely self-absorbed and completely forget that the world continues existing even when they don't pay attention to it. And war did not "break out between LN and LV". LV declared war. That's a big nuance to make there.

Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434: March 18, 2013, 08:34:45 AM »
So as much as I like D'Hara taking over threads as much as the next guy, maybe we should start talking about SA again....
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435: March 18, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
So as much as I like D'Hara taking over threads as much as the next guy, maybe we should start talking about SA again....

Oh, this is about SA.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436: March 18, 2013, 11:49:09 AM »
Oh, this is about SA.

Indeed. And I would further add that SA did absolutely NOTHING in the D'Hara/Luria war. They "offered mediation" at some point, which really wasn't offering anything satisfying to either party whatsoever, and when the war did come to a conclusion due to LV's collapse, they refused to do the mediation and to back the peace they once said they'd back up.

The Lurian "perspective" on SA's involvement in the war is outright ridiculous.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437: March 18, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
Except that Luria would have invaded D'Hara after LV's collapse in stead of signing peace and launching the offensive on Falkirk. So yeah... that's a pretty big involvement.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438: March 18, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
Except that Luria would have invaded D'Hara after LV's collapse in stead of signing peace and launching the offensive on Falkirk. So yeah... that's a pretty big involvement.

We woulda kicked yo' sorry asses!  8)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439: March 18, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »
We woulda kicked yo' sorry asses!  8)

And you're entirely welcome to your opinion on that.

Not so much on the fact that SA absolutely, 100% had a huge involvement in the war between us.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440: March 18, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »

And if by "Landing in the Lurias" you mean landing in LV's lands, and then proceeding to follow along with LV's grand plan to attack a superior army in waves, then good job. Gold star for D'hara. Or do you mean the attempted attack on Girich where like, a couple nobles from the home guard foiled that?

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441: March 18, 2013, 04:40:59 PM »
Is there any thread that won't turn into a Luria-DH bitchfest? Jeez. It's like a broken record.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442: March 18, 2013, 06:08:10 PM »
Is there any thread that won't turn into a Luria-DH bitchfest? Jeez. It's like a broken record.

Seriously.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443: March 18, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »

Well, there's the ones that turn into a Terran-Glaumring bitchfest!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444: March 18, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
Well, there's the ones that turn into a Terran-Glaumring bitchfest!

I prefer the Luria D'hara discourse to the Terran/Glaumring, Aurvandil/Terran, Glaumring/SA, Glaumring/Glaumring....