Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1042525 times)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #4020: July 19, 2014, 12:03:57 AM »
Oh well the sanbox is muddied. Build a new Astroism or something. Eventually another faith or kingdom or man will rise up from the ashes of this time in our history and rekindle the flames in Dwilight. Ding dong SA is dead... Long live the victors so that they will one day die also.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021: July 19, 2014, 12:23:01 AM »
Dwilight is now just like any other continent. Do you see a glorious and successful religion on another continent? I don't. And you won't see another again on Dwilight either.

SMA is now just an OOC letter policy, at best. I've seen even the most ridiculous names on characters who had been on the continent for a very long time. Oh and how about that character who is supposed to actually be two characters in one...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022: July 19, 2014, 12:48:34 AM »
Dwilight is now just like any other continent. Do you see a glorious and successful religion on another continent? I don't. And you won't see another again on Dwilight either.

SMA is now just an OOC letter policy, at best. I've seen even the most ridiculous names on characters who had been on the continent for a very long time. Oh and how about that character who is supposed to actually be two characters in one...

If you see something, say something. The Titans are many things, but psychic isn't among them, and they simply cannot act on things they don't know anything about.

As for the two-characters-in-one, she was told that she'd have to change her character or leave, and she left.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023: July 19, 2014, 01:05:05 AM »
If you see something, say something. The Titans are many things, but psychic isn't among them, and they simply cannot act on things they don't know anything about.

As for the two-characters-in-one, she was told that she'd have to change her character or leave, and she left.

The character with the silly name I'm thinking of, which I don't recall well, was a noble of another realm. I only heard of him months after he joined Dwilight. I think he even had gotten promotions within his realm, such as lordships or the like.

Perhaps the titans still would act on it, if reported. But that was kind of the point. It wasn't.

Unfortunately, I don't recall the name. I think he belonged to some northern realm, but I can't say if it was Asylon or Libero, or some other.

In any case, I would be shocked and surprised if anyone at all would come forward and claim that the game culture of Dwilight is the same as in its first years.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024: July 19, 2014, 01:13:52 AM »
In any case, I would be shocked and surprised if anyone at all would come forward and claim that the game culture of Dwilight is the same as in its first years.

Of course it's not. The culture of all the parts of the game changes and evolves constantly. Sometimes this is for the better, sometimes it is for the worse.

Dwilight's introduction with SMA definitely changed the culture in the rest of the game, too. Again, some of that was for the better, and some of it was for the worse.

But it will keep changing. Our job is just to try and gently guide it towards the "better" side.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025: July 19, 2014, 01:50:38 AM »
Chenier makes it sound as if SA is entitled or we are entitled to keep Dwilight with SA because for some reason SA is special or more special than any other religion / kingdom or playstyle. Just because SA was formed by some sort of council OOG before the founding of Dwilight by some collection of nobles over IRC and then had their hands held during the formative years of Dwilight when there wasn't any competition at all doesn't make it special... It makes it 'special' because of its specialness and nothing more and means nothing more to Dwilight than a passing phase in the history of the server, a mere mote , a blip and thing that happened and then faded away. Oh well, and its insulting to say that 'Dwilight' is like any other shard because SA is so special, its insulting to the other players who have worked hard to build their own cultures, religions and realms without any help from the server being fresh and new back in the day or having your entire continent wiped out by a calamity. Its an insult and SA entitled to nothing on Dwilight, the only thing you get is hard work and struggle to build what you have and you fight tooth and claw to survive in Dwilight or you fade away. The death of SA is the fault of every single member of that religion and no one elses fault.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026: July 19, 2014, 03:00:40 AM »
There's a reason I stopped replying to you, and thus it will be my last reply.

I never suggested that SA should be "saved". It's gone. It's over.

You also seem, for the sake of the argument, to claim my position is held out of ego. But you very well know that my character did not convert to SA until, relatively speaking, recently in its history. My dwi characters spent their careers, until that moment, to contain SA growth and influence. Maybe not to oppose it as you do, but to seek to contain it nonetheless. My character was one of the most, if not the most influential members of Verdis Elementum, which until, again relatively recently, was the only significant secondary religion. Spread over half a dozen realms or so, multiple dozen nobles, a lot of temples and really big ones, etc. Even your so precious bloodmoon cult never really gained influence in more than one realm at a time. And that was most of my doing. I'm not aware of any other VE member who proselytized as Machiavel did, until he left it. None of SA's success can be attributed to me. Indeed, if it weren't for me, it'd have no doubt grown a lot quicker in certain parts of the world.

And yes, special circumstances made it what it was. But why it got to be what it was changes nothing to what it became: the only truly meaningful religion in the game. Some other religions were fun. Some other religions managed to have an impact. But none of them every became as meaningful as SA did. And by extension, no continent ever really had religion as a meaningful driving force. It's always there for flavor more than anything. It's impacts are secondary to mundane politics.

It was nice to have a continent that had a religion whose importance could be likened to medieval Europe. We will never have that again. I'm sure you love that little club you built, but it'll never compare.

And really, I've been repeating how SA was killed from within. Why are you suggesting I'm saying otherwise?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027: July 19, 2014, 03:14:48 AM »
Your story of how SA was created is also completely bogus. The only thing that having to do with the creation of SA that happened happened before the island was created was that Morek was determined by Tom to be a theocracy, and by Jesse Fireisle to be devoted to the three red stars in the west. (If you'll recall, Jesse won the Dwilight banner contest for Morek, and his reward was a free character to be the ruler of Morek. He earned the right and honor to make that determination.) Nearly everything else was determined by the players that started in Morek, and all done IG. This was the prime attraction to SA for many of us. A brand new religion that were helped make, and made meaningful like no other religion ever was.

Was it privileged? In a way,yes. But everyone else on Dwilight had the same  chance. We were the only ones that took it. There were a couple others that tried, even in the north. The Seven and Torenism. We were just more successful.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028: July 19, 2014, 08:52:33 AM »
Cult of Bloodmoon never had a chance to be an influence because the devs wiped us out right when Asylon was becoming influential.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029: July 19, 2014, 03:28:33 PM »
Damn devs. Always stomping on Asylon's fun.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030: July 19, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »
Damn devs. Always stomping on Asylon's fun.

Well at least we don't quit Dwilight because your realm is getting beaten in a war.  :P

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031: July 19, 2014, 08:06:06 PM »
I don't think SA is over yet. It is only dead if people give up on it.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032: July 19, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
As far as we outside of the theocracies are concerned its alive and well and worth fighting against... Glad to know we are finally winning  8)

When the last Astroist lands are taken we shall grow the most potent bloodmoon fruit by the light of the stars.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033: July 20, 2014, 01:59:48 AM »
I'm sad to hear that SA is still dying. I knew entropy and sycophants were already putting SA on the downturn, but I had hoped that Helm and Kabrinski could usher in a grand ol' revival in the face of turmoil. Shame the schisms didn't really take, and no religious war erupted.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034: July 20, 2014, 03:58:57 AM »
Well at least we don't quit Dwilight because your realm is getting beaten in a war.  :P
Nice try, but your shot missed by a few miles.