Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1045782 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #1560: November 06, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »
Sure there is.

It's the difference between a political election season and attack ads.

Fair enough.

I would put forth though that it is quite possible to carry out such actions without much of the open bickering involved. At least on the front end.

Bickering on the back end is just called interaction imo.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561: November 06, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
Sure there is.

It's the difference between a political election season and attack ads.

SO WE NEED A CRUSADE.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562: November 06, 2012, 07:17:57 PM »
SO WE NEED A CRUSADE.

Didn't you just have one?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563: November 06, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
Didn't you just have one?

Actually, no. But even if we did,

WE NEED ANOTHER ONE!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564: November 07, 2012, 01:36:24 AM »
Actually, no. But even if we did,

WE NEED ANOTHER ONE!

Should try to spread astroism to the other continents as well instead. Always seemed weird to me that It wasn't being done.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565: November 07, 2012, 01:46:41 AM »
Should try to spread astroism to the other continents as well instead. Always seemed weird to me that It wasn't being done.

Who can claim the legitimacy to launch such a project?

The elders would need to get together to launch the project abroad together. But then that starts to be difficult. They don't all have other characters in the same places, or available noble slots, or nobles in the right places willing to pick up that faith.

Anyone deciding to solo it would likely be seen as an usurper or impostor.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #1566: November 07, 2012, 01:53:15 AM »
Who can claim the legitimacy to launch such a project?

The elders would need to get together to launch the project abroad together. But then that starts to be difficult. They don't all have other characters in the same places, or available noble slots, or nobles in the right places willing to pick up that faith.

Anyone deciding to solo it would likely be seen as an usurper or impostor.

At the same time, there's nothing stopping someone from creating a new religion (yes, it's a new religion as far as the database is concerned) named "Sanguis Astroism" on one or even all of the other continents.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567: November 07, 2012, 02:16:33 AM »
At the same time, there's nothing stopping someone from creating a new religion (yes, it's a new religion as far as the database is concerned) named "Sanguis Astroism" on one or even all of the other continents.

Mechanic-wise, sure.

Then, go make it actually work. That's another question altogether.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568: November 07, 2012, 02:20:27 AM »
The problem is that with a religion "power-play" will inevitably descend into bickering, because there are very few ways in which power can be siezed and enemies removed, especially when both sides are supported by priests. SA is so big that any potential schismaics are too afraid to start their own orders and so what you get is a broad church containing various opposing factions that will always bicker.

Nevertheless I would say the current controversy is merely the usual byproduct of a democratic election. The real problem occurs in-between elections when we get the same old controversies repeated over and over again, with Elders unable to act for fear of causing a storm.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569: November 07, 2012, 02:26:59 AM »
The problem is that with a religion "power-play" will inevitably descend into bickering, because there are very few ways in which power can be siezed and enemies removed, especially when both sides are supported by priests. SA is so big that any potential schismaics are too afraid to start their own orders and so what you get is a broad church containing various opposing factions that will always bicker.

Nevertheless I would say the current controversy is merely the usual byproduct of a democratic election. The real problem occurs in-between elections when we get the same old controversies repeated over and over again, with Elders unable to act for fear of causing a storm.

Honestly though, this whole thing wouldn't be an issue if it was possible to remove priests from a religion. I realize this is a game mechanics inhibition but I believe this inhibition ruins the game more than the slight IR violation it involves.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570: November 07, 2012, 02:32:55 AM »
Honestly though, this whole thing wouldn't be an issue if it was possible to remove priests from a religion. I realize this is a game mechanics inhibition but I believe this inhibition ruins the game more than the slight IR violation it involves.

Which, considering that other game events have the same effect, doesn't sound that bad a "violation" at all.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571: November 07, 2012, 02:46:27 AM »
Which, considering that other game events have the same effect, doesn't sound that bad a "violation" at all.
Such as?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572: November 07, 2012, 02:51:58 AM »
Such as?

When a religion dies, all its remaining priests are kicked back to Warrior.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573: November 07, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »
Such as?

When a religion dies, all its remaining priests are kicked back to Warrior.

Using cold storage kicks you out of the religion, presumably kicking you back to warrior class as well.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574: November 07, 2012, 03:23:53 AM »
Solari started a religion on the Colonies based on a bit of theology I worked out for a sort of "anti-SA" religion that casts the Bloodstars as the three eyes of an evil god.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.