Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1045672 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #1785: January 07, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »
Aurvandil is quite strong, no doubt. But many other realms have had since these last two months (according the statistics) more military strength than them. In the particular case of Terran, with half the players Aurvandil has got (a lot of them with high level characters), it has been militarily superior in terms of CS. Terran has had more economic strength, and quite a similar food production and supply. So, it's all about planning and synchronizing carefully the campaigns, and the mentality towards war.
The CS numbers listed on the stats page are very misleading, if you don't know how to interpret them, or know the situation behind them. Most realms other than Aurvandil have a large amount of militia. Aurvandil is unique in that with a large number of nobles, they don't need the large militia base to protect their regions from monsters, etc.

The myth of Aurvandil's invulnerability has been fed for long time, and I don't doubt it's very strong. But I it can be defeated, and I think it is possible even without the help of the SA.
They are most definitely not invulnerable. I did not say that. They are *very* strong, though, beyond that which is normally possible from their apparent economy or character count. Their extreme focus on military power and a very strong sense of common purpose let's them do amazing things with their mobile force.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786: January 07, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »
You have it backward. Lower number of players tends to *increase* the geographic size of realms. Realms have to have a certain number of characters to survive. Otherwise the players get bored and leave. If you drop the number of characters, the players will tend to cluster together, causing those realms they choose to expand. If you increase the number of characters on an island, there is greater pressure for positions and power, so the realms will fragment as players scramble to create the power positions they want.

Perhaps but 85% of the nobles of Dwilight have no ambition at all. I'd say Bowie Ironsides was the most ambitious.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:39:51 PM by Glaumring »
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787: January 07, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
They are *very* strong, though, beyond that which is normally possible from their apparent economy or character count. Their extreme focus on military power and a very strong sense of common purpose let's them do amazing things with their mobile force.

Hey, remember when almost every realm in BM was like that...  ::)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788: January 07, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »
Oh yes. 6 or 7 years ago, Aurvandil would have been just another realm, with nothing remarkable about it at all. Except for the low noble count. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789: January 07, 2013, 10:01:17 PM »
Wish Dwilight was filled with more nobles and more skullduggery.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790: January 07, 2013, 11:05:07 PM »
Oh yes. 6 or 7 years ago, Aurvandil would have been just another realm, with nothing remarkable about it at all. Except for the low noble count. ;)

I thought the game was slower and quieter than I remember. Looks like I lost interest back in BM's prime and have found renewed vigor during a great lull. I'd curse my luck, but I have 7 years of backstory to keep me busy.

Perhaps but 85% of the nobles of Dwilight have no ambition at all. I'd say Bowie Ironsides was the most ambitious.

I wonder if you know about the new happenings...
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791: January 07, 2013, 11:18:58 PM »
Im out of the loop in the plots and plans department. I am currently focused on my faith and the council. Sometimes its best to lay low.  8)

Astinus

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792: January 07, 2013, 11:36:26 PM »
iirc I played when in EC the average nobles per realm was something around 120, with Perdan touching even 160 or something.

There were way more non game-mechanic related RP but overall the game felt way slower compared to BT where there were many more small realms

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793: January 07, 2013, 11:57:27 PM »
As for the northern realms founding some kind of Crusade colony.... get real. Like any one has the nobles available to do such a thing, even if a way could be found to do it within the boundaries of SMA. It's not like either Terran or D'Hara would willingly give up a city to create a new SA theocracy in the middle of the Veinsormoot's three-way snugglefest.

The Holy Snugglefest!

Also, yea, about Aurvandil's invincibility... It's basically a 1v1 right now, them vs. Terran. Barca was KOed early on, and D'Hara was KOed by the long winter, and then driven to fight on another front.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794: January 08, 2013, 12:33:05 AM »
Frankly it is in the best interest of the Astocracies and the Lurias to see Aurvandil expand.  Less nobles per realm, thins out the heard.  Harder to communicate and coordinate when you aren't in the same realm.  Spread out means less tax efficiency and they can't do their red line tax plan if they have to spread out.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795: January 08, 2013, 12:35:15 AM »
Also, yea, about Aurvandil's invincibility... It's basically a 1v1 right now, them vs. Terran. Barca was KOed early on, and D'Hara was KOed by the long winter, and then driven to fight on another front.

don't let the SA TLs in Larur/Paisland hear you say that or they might leave...

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796: January 08, 2013, 12:56:13 AM »
They have participated in no battles that Aurvandil were in so until that happens I don't really care if they run away. Their current lack of involvement is Terran's fault so I am not complaining, I am just saying they can get off their high horse aka quit acting like they have helped so much in this war. Their help in crushing the squatters accelerated the process but they weren't even vital for that either. 
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797: January 08, 2013, 01:10:25 AM »

They hold the line, at most.

As Penchant said, they haven't participated in any attack, and I don't expect them to. Aurvandil isn't going to be defeated by having more northerners come, it'll be defeated by the Luria-D'Hara war ending.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798: January 08, 2013, 01:16:38 AM »
They hold the line, at most.

As Penchant said, they haven't participated in any attack, and I don't expect them to. Aurvandil isn't going to be defeated by having more northerners come, it'll be defeated by the Luria-D'Hara war ending.
Well SA's troops they have down south could be quite useful and might end up being a vital part of the war so I am not saying they are not important, just that they have yet to help majorly with the war. And I do not war the Lurian-D'hara war to end quite yet.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799: January 08, 2013, 02:01:42 AM »
iirc I played when in EC the average nobles per realm was something around 120, with Perdan touching even 160 or something.

Good times. I started in Ubent, a small realm with no cities and still some 50-60 nobles if I recall correctly and also a communist dictatorship whose main produce was toilets. I remember it as a lot more silly rp and a lot less rp submersion. In the sense that nowadays people like to play their characters more as real medieval nobles who could have actually lived in those times and made such decisions. And it's just harder to bring humour into the roleplay if the character on it's own isn't already outrageous by itself.
Personally, I like the evolution though. That it's harder doesn't mean that it can't be done. And the constant evolution of the game means that there's always new things to look forward to.

There were way more non game-mechanic related RP but overall the game felt way slower compared to BT where there were many more small realms

Yeah, BT was always the most dynamic continent. Realms dying, new ones being created, others growing, alliances shifting or just everyone trying to survive, and to survive as strong as possible. BT is still by far the continent I love the most, and I think the new scrolls will make new conflict a lot more interesting as well. Both strategically as diplomatically. But on it's height (though it may have been a little over the peak) I ruled a pretty big realm, Old Grehk, of some 70-80 people and that was a lot of work already. I couldn't imagine what it must have been like on Atamara or EC... :P
Though the way I remember it, there was a lot more teamwork at the top as well. There was just usually a larger group that took a special interest in a particular realm. I know that I don't want to be involved in the government of the realms of all my characters. Somewhere I just want to have an infiltrator or a loyal soldier and don't give a crap about how the realm is run, unless it affects me personally. Like peace. :)