Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1045678 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #1890: January 31, 2013, 02:20:39 AM »
Only when convenient eh Chenier?  ::)

Of course. It's all about weighting the options to one's personal benefits. I'd rather be my own boss, influencing in a regional power bloc, but if forced to choose between a lower-ranking member of a more powerful institution and power block, or total annihilation and loss of influence and power, the choice seems rather easy. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891: January 31, 2013, 04:03:11 AM »
I just want to share my sudden, profound appreciation for the prophecies: specifically Bengt Algotsson's interpretation of the second one. I'm incredibly impressed, wanting to ride the SA train all the way to the end of the line. Get ready for a new theocracy! :P
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892: January 31, 2013, 05:00:33 AM »
Woohoo!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893: January 31, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »
I pretty much agree, but I haven't found the resolve to do the leap myself... thus far. And I doubt I will, unless Aurvandil pushes us too far.

Dude.

Join us.

One of us... one of us...
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894: January 31, 2013, 09:08:50 AM »
Finally really breaking into Paisly, and with a very experienced priest to boot, would, methinks, be of great value to SA.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895: January 31, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »
Finally really breaking into Paisly, and with a very experienced priest to boot, would, methinks, be of great value to SA.

I don't want to be a mere puppet... if I join, I would need some assurances to be rather high up. Switching faiths will also result in a loss of oratory skill I believe, which would be a pain (I'd hate to be a less effective ambassador). I'd also need to, you know, actually read up on SA, which I never got my head around to doing.

And Machiavel has so much history with VE... he's the one who brought it to D'Hara, Barca, and a wee bit to the South-East. He used to be a very active proselytizer. He was the only priest south of Caerwyn for very, very long, and he turned D'Hara, at one point, into a nearly 100% elementalist state. It wouldn't feel right to turn back on that. And I can't hide I've used Verdis Elementum against Aurvandil of a few occasions, though I did use restrain to prevent backlash against the followers who do live there.

It's a scary leap. If I jump, I can make D'Hara a strongly SA realm. Which obviously comes with its load of advantages. Though it would change the realm forever.

And dammit, I don't have time to read up all of SA's pages! Not now, at least. Gotta say that's probably one of the biggest factors. It's likely to happen, though, one day. With Aurvandil betraying us, and the Lurias joining it more and more, the reasonable thing to do sounds like joining it more ourselves as well.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896: January 31, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »
Switching faiths will also result in a loss of oratory skill I believe, which would be a pain (I'd hate to be a less effective ambassador).

I have no idea where you got such a ridiculous idea. Skills have nothing whatsoever to do with guild, religion, or realm membership. They are stuff you know how to do.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897: January 31, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »
I have no idea where you got such a ridiculous idea. Skills have nothing whatsoever to do with guild, religion, or realm membership. They are stuff you know how to do.

He'd have to drop his priest class to leave VE. I think that's what he's referring to– not precisely the religion, but the class.

The priest class description says there are penalties if you drop it; I always assumed that referred to oratory skills.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898: January 31, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »
He'd have to drop his priest class to leave VE. I think that's what he's referring to– not precisely the religion, but the class.

The priest class description says there are penalties if you drop it; I always assumed that referred to oratory skills.

No...that's not the case either.

And I believe that the penalties mentioned were intended to be purely player/RP based, from some things I recall Tom saying a few years ago.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899: January 31, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »

And I believe that the penalties mentioned were intended to be purely player/RP based, from some things I recall Tom saying a few years ago.

Yeah, I'm not sure what that text actually refers to. It should probably be removed.

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900: January 31, 2013, 06:19:59 PM »
And dammit, I don't have time to read up all of SA's pages! Not now, at least. Gotta say that's probably one of the biggest factors.

Just do what I do, and don't bother reading anything.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901: January 31, 2013, 10:52:16 PM »

Not my approach.

Well, I was thinking that because that's what someone had said in another thread. Happy to learn it is not true.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902: January 31, 2013, 11:50:50 PM »
It must work, you are the one with the power to declare a crusade.
Not my approach.
The charter and maybe the prophecies are all you really need.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903: February 04, 2013, 12:46:04 AM »
Farronite senators have passed into law allowing non SA priests to preach but only if the local senator allows. And as I predicted king Turin is all hot and bothered.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904: February 04, 2013, 01:57:12 AM »
He isn't the only one. Maybe the leadership of the Republic should've thought about their previous commitments on the matter before voting to overturn them.