Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1042459 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #1995: February 11, 2013, 03:24:02 PM »
I've lately found that when Mathurin does deign to write a letter, they're masterful in provoking comment, thought, or action. Usually in ways that are contradictory. He's been walking the line between a figurehead who retains much of his authority because of his detachment from daily affairs, and a driver of events, quite well. That hasn't always been the case.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996: February 11, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
He is very good about that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997: February 11, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »
Honestly, Mathurin plays the religion leader/founder better than any player I've seen it that role. I've been genuinely impressed/annoyed by it.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998: February 11, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »
Honestly, Mathurin plays the religion leader/founder better than any player I've seen it that role. I've been genuinely impressed/annoyed by it.

IT helps to have a large religion that is able to go on without him.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999: February 11, 2013, 11:08:57 PM »
IT helps to have a large religion that is able to go on without him.
I think he is actually talking about his great skill in the way he talks in his letters. The size of your religion shouldn't matter about that.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000: February 11, 2013, 11:14:25 PM »
I think he is actually talking about his great skill in the way he talks in his letters. The size of your religion shouldn't matter about that.

I'm not questioning his skill. I'm just saying that the form of a religion limits how "great" the leader or founder can be.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001: February 11, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
I'm not questioning his skill. I'm just saying that the form of a religion limits how "great" the leader or founder can be.
I disagree. Its the leader which makes that all happen which is why so there are so few successful religions. Takes a lot of work to form your religion to where you can be in Mathurins position of leader that need not lead most the time.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002: February 11, 2013, 11:26:48 PM »
I disagree. Its the leader which makes that all happen which is why so there are so few successful religions. Takes a lot of work to form your religion to where you can be in Mathurins position of leader that need not lead most the time.

If you claim that Mathurin is what allowed SA to become big, then I would challenge that claim. A bad leader could have made it fail, but one would not have needed to be exceptionally skilled to make it grow big. Circumstances created SA, not Mathurin.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003: February 11, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »
If you claim that Mathurin is what allowed SA to become big, then I would challenge that claim. A bad leader could have made it fail, but one would not have needed to be exceptionally skilled to make it grow big. Circumstances created SA, not Mathurin.
I am not claiming Mathurin made SA big, but I am claiming that he formed the system of the church in a way that he doesn't need to do everything or even much at all.
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004: February 11, 2013, 11:45:42 PM »
It did take both circumstances and leadership. Without the semi-mythical leadership of Mathurin, the religion could easily have fractured. Mathurin doesn't say much, so when he does say something, people pay attention. And it's obvious that he is paying attention, and not just ignoring everything. He comments in ways that get people thinking, and moving in the appropriate direction, without obvious pushes and orders. It is a very deft touch, and highly effective.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005: February 12, 2013, 04:44:56 AM »
Yes, +1 to Mathurin's skill. Mmm, crusade!

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006: February 12, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »
Mathurin doesn't say much, so when he does say something, people pay attention. And it's obvious that he is paying attention, and not just ignoring everything. He comments in ways that get people thinking, and moving in the appropriate direction, without obvious pushes and orders. It is a very deft touch, and highly effective.

That's pretty much it. I initially assumed the player was just refusing to let go, but barely paying attention to the game. Happy to have been proven wrong.

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007: February 13, 2013, 04:57:41 AM »
He really does take such a minimalist approach that he leaves all the real decisions in everyone else's hands, most of the time. Like this OA thing. Sure they're evil, okay, but that doesn't mean it warrants a Crusade. Lots of things are evil. So nothing actually changes, unless the elders and everyone else make changes happen.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008: February 27, 2013, 06:46:43 PM »
Theocrats are having a heyday with Swordfell's crisis...

Beware theocrats, the Bogeyman is going to get you!

Letter from Bowie Ironsides
Message sent to everyone in your realm (16 recipients)

Lord Creed,

We have earned a new title to wear, we are the 'Bogeymen of Astromancy!'

Apparently, in Astromancer communities, whenever there is illness or crop failure, or when items go missing without explanation, or when relationships fail or if people do not earn what they believe entitled to it is all because of us! They curse us as agents of their superstitious ire!

Amusing, albeit concerning.

Bowie Ironsides
Noble
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009: February 27, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
Well I was happy to send Farronite army your way but after creeds letter to swordfell to many complained and Gustav turned the force back. I would have stayed longer but orders had been given...
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)