Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1042809 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #2385: March 16, 2013, 03:46:03 AM »
Fact 3: The first phrase  of what you quoted me on explicitly states I think that Aurvandil can be defeated. The North just doesn't have the heart to make it happen. They'd rather hog the glory then send tens of thousands of gold to Terran, Barca, and D'Hara every week. But they can't hog the glory, because they are too far, so they just fail instead. Doesn't mean they need to fail, they just chose to.
Even assuming that the north *could* send tens of thousands of gold a week to Terran, it wouldn't work. There are limits to how much you can prop up a low-noble realm with gold. Continuing to pour more gold into it simply doesn't increase the power in a linear fashion.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386: March 16, 2013, 04:23:03 AM »
Even assuming that the north *could* send tens of thousands of gold a week to Terran, it wouldn't work. There are limits to how much you can prop up a low-noble realm with gold. Continuing to pour more gold into it simply doesn't increase the power in a linear fashion.
I think Machiavel was exaggerating, but maxing out every nobles unit's size with the best units available would be something all that gold could do. It could also be used to make recruitment centres, build up fortifications, place militia. Ten thousand gold could be used pretty quickly.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387: March 16, 2013, 04:29:39 AM »
I think Machiavel was exaggerating, but maxing out every nobles unit's size with the best units available would be something all that gold could do. It could also be used to make recruitment centres, build up fortifications, place militia. Ten thousand gold could be used pretty quickly.

Recruitment centres are abundant and fortifications are already in place. Militia does not win wars. Maximising unit size could help a bit, but not by much; most Terran warriors already have huge units. The added gold would yield, I'm estimating, perhaps an additional two to four thousand combat strength worth of mobile soldiers. Barely enough to make a dent, if that. My own character has one thousand gold on hand at all times, for no particular reason other than that there's nothing to spend it on.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388: March 16, 2013, 04:49:23 AM »
Recruitment centres are abundant and fortifications are already in place. Militia does not win wars. Maximising unit size could help a bit, but not by much; most Terran warriors already have huge units. The added gold would yield, I'm estimating, perhaps an additional two to four thousand combat strength worth of mobile soldiers. Barely enough to make a dent, if that. My own character has one thousand gold on hand at all times, for no particular reason other than that there's nothing to spend it on.
That may be true for Terrran, but it is not the same for D'hara and Barca. Also, since Aurvandil likes to attack cities, militia is good for winning those battles.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389: March 16, 2013, 05:01:32 AM »
Sanguis Astroism sounds like the antisocial kid in the classroom corner.
That's funny, how come SA has all the friends, and Aurvandil is stuck with Asylon  ::)

That is an insanely accurate and concise way of putting it.
A far better parallel would be that SA has convicted Mendicant of a crime, and as he is being dragged off to to the gallows, he is screaming that he doesn't accept it.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390: March 16, 2013, 05:47:57 AM »

You're right. We needed gold AND Nobles to come to Terran.

If Terran received an additional 10-20 Nobles from all corners of SA, plus some funding, it really would have changed some things.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391: March 16, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »

I was not exagerating. D'Hara has massively funded our allies in the past, and we are but a single realm. Morek and Astrum, alone, should be able to give at least thousands weekly, near the 10,000 mark at least. But with all of them? With Iashalur, Corsanctum, Farronite Republic, and Libero (which basically did nothing but could have easilly been bullied to do something), I think that 20,000 gold a week is very ambitious, but not impossible.

Terran has too few nobles? There was a time where Barca and D'Hara were also in the war. No need to dump it on Terran alone. They also could have incited nobles to pack up and go to Barca. But how many rulers encouraged their nobles to leave?

So considering this, if some people, be them the rulers of the astrocracies (doubtful) or the church elders (more likely) want to turn Mendicant into a rallying figure to oppose... Well, good luck. You could turn him into a devil figure you never actually act against, perhaps, but for some reason I doubt this is what's desired. If you wanted to use a war against him to get everyone working together, I just don't see that happening... You are too far yourselves, and those who aren't won't sacrifice their realms for people who don't really care to win the war anyways.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392: March 16, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
That's funny, how come SA has all the friends, and Aurvandil is stuck with Asylon  ::)

Isn't it obvious? 'Cause we're too cool for school, swag and all that (whatever the kids are saying these days).

A far better parallel would be that SA has convicted Mendicant of a crime, and as he is being dragged off to to the gallows, he is screaming that he doesn't accept it.

An even better parallel would be that Sanguis Astroism want to convict Mendicant and drag him off the to the gallows, but Mendicant doesn't accept it and stands in front of them simply declining, and Sanguis Astroism are powerless.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393: March 16, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »
That may be true for Terrran, but it is not the same for D'hara and Barca. Also, since Aurvandil likes to attack cities, militia is good for winning those battles.

Allomere is a proven wall breaker, no fortification has stood against us successfully.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394: March 16, 2013, 07:51:59 PM »
To the claims no one can raise an army to match Aurvandil, if you will note the statistics pages, exactly three realms on their own have more military strength than Aurvandil: Morek, Astrum and Luria Nova.

Aurvandil isn't unbeatable. The failures in the Moot's war against Aurvandil are a result of the Moot's politics. Terran has done a fine job, but Barca doesn't have clout, and D'hara's singular contribution to the war against Aurvandil directly resulted in them losing Paisly. They've done a fine job against Falkirk, but that doesn't really hinder Aurvandil any.

Had certain members of the moot appeased certain individuals throughout the faith, rather than just calling time and time again for a Crusade, they likely could have found themselves some significant aid.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395: March 16, 2013, 08:01:48 PM »
Aurvandil has almost no militia...  whereas those realms mentioned have lots of militia....
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396: March 16, 2013, 08:12:16 PM »
None of those realms mentioned have made any serious attempt to field large mobile forces, either. Astrum could, if they decided, field a 30k mobile force without too much difficulty, without weakening their militia. Morek could undoubtedly do more. A church force of nearly 100k cs is not impossible, with the right motivation and leadership. And lots of planning. (Busto could do it!)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397: March 16, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
To the claims no one can raise an army to match Aurvandil, if you will note the statistics pages, exactly three realms on their own have more military strength than Aurvandil: Morek, Astrum and Luria Nova.

Aurvandil isn't unbeatable. The failures in the Moot's war against Aurvandil are a result of the Moot's politics. Terran has done a fine job, but Barca doesn't have clout, and D'hara's singular contribution to the war against Aurvandil directly resulted in them losing Paisly. They've done a fine job against Falkirk, but that doesn't really hinder Aurvandil any.

Had certain members of the moot appeased certain individuals throughout the faith, rather than just calling time and time again for a Crusade, they likely could have found themselves some significant aid.

D'Hara fought before the long winter, then starvation pretty near killed our realm, and then the Lurias decided to backstab us in our moment of greatest weakness. Were it not for both the Long Winter and the Lurias, D'Hara could have done a lot more. But nobody in the north wanted to sanction LN, or made any significant effort to save us from the massive starvation.

There's really a ton of things the northern realms could have done, both directly and indirectly, to put even more pressure on Aurvandil. The list of things would be too long to enumerate. But they just didn't care enough for it. And now, it's too late.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398: March 16, 2013, 10:38:13 PM »
Oh, Chénier, are you starting a pity party again? Can I join?
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399: March 16, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
Oh, Chénier, are you starting a pity party again? Can I join?

D'Hara is rebuilding, I'm more concerned with Terran's fate right now. I was just saying, there were a lot of external factors that limited D'Hara's contributions against Aurvandil.

And hey, we get to rip Asylon apart now. No need for self-pity, this is great! :D