Author Topic: Friendly rebellion - A case for the Titans?  (Read 29601 times)

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly rebellion - A case for the Titans?
« Reply #75: October 16, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
You cannot ever change the name of your realm. Ever. Not even if you win the rebellion.

There probably should be a way. Somehow.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: October 16, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »

There is  :P

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: October 17, 2011, 03:10:43 AM »

Secede, name new realm, go to war, destroy old realm. So long as its not a OOC plan and everyone just gives into the new realm, you are golden.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: October 17, 2011, 03:29:57 AM »
Secede, name new realm, go to war, destroy old realm. So long as its not a OOC plan and everyone just gives into the new realm, you are golden.

You forgot "Beg to Tom".
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: October 17, 2011, 04:38:16 AM »

That would be a very blatant evasion of game mechanics.  Tom does not want realm names changed as a rule.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

egamma

« Reply #80: October 17, 2011, 05:16:02 AM »
That would be a very blatant evasion of game mechanics.  Tom does not want realm names changed as a rule.

See-France, Spain, Portugal. Realm names do not change.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: October 17, 2011, 06:08:14 AM »
See-France, Spain, Portugal. Realm names do not change.

Except sometimes they do, for example Burma is now Myanmar.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: October 17, 2011, 06:53:15 AM »

Modern ones do, now and then.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: October 17, 2011, 07:04:19 AM »

According to Wikipedia, both names have actually been in use for centuries, with one as the literary name and the other as the spoken name.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Shenron

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: October 17, 2011, 07:15:04 AM »
According to Wikipedia, both names have actually been in use for centuries, with one as the literary name and the other as the spoken name.

They still changed their official name. Same story in Thailand (used to be called Siam.)

Realms should be able to change their name with like a 90% vote from the realm or something like that imho. Obviously there should be other impediments to changing a name also.

My main beef is that sometimes there are very good rp reasons to change a name.
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: October 17, 2011, 08:05:23 AM »
A very long time ago, Tom said realms don't change name because that's a very modern thing to do.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: October 17, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »
A very long time ago, Tom said realms don't change name because that's a very modern thing to do.

Meh. I suppose I don't really care. It would just be kind of cool if we could change our name under very special circumstances.

Yeah maybe it wouldn't be medieval but I can definitely see it fitting right in to the BM brand of medieval if you know what I mean.
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: October 17, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
Meh. I suppose I don't really care. It would just be kind of cool if we could change our name under very special circumstances.

Yeah maybe it wouldn't be medieval but I can definitely see it fitting right in to the BM brand of medieval if you know what I mean.

"Very special circumstances" is exactly what many people in BM are after.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: October 17, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
That's what you get in games like BattleMaster: Everyone wants to be special. Very few people are content to be the normal, run of the mill noble who just does exactly what's expected of him. Everyone wants to be the exception, or the special circumstance. So if you create something that can only happen rarely, and under special circumstances, then you're going to have 386 people all trying to be that exception, and have a perfectly reasonable (to them) explanation as to why they should be allowed to do it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #89: October 18, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
That's what you get in games like BattleMaster: Everyone wants to be special. Very few people are content to be the normal, run of the mill noble who just does exactly what's expected of him. Everyone wants to be the exception, or the special circumstance. So if you create something that can only happen rarely, and under special circumstances, then you're going to have 386 people all trying to be that exception, and have a perfectly reasonable (to them) explanation as to why they should be allowed to do it.

"But Llama meat is our realm's favorite dish, and we held a referendum and voted to change our name to Llama Meat!"