Author Topic: Is it ever acceptable to plan things OOC?  (Read 13672 times)

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Is it ever acceptable to plan things OOC?
« Reply #30: October 28, 2011, 10:27:12 AM »
You didn't pay the slightest attention to my points about people immediately beginning to plot against it IC, did you?  Nor the fact that they succeeded in changing it?  Nor the fact that the reason it started is because everyone in the realm agreed things were dead dull?

i did notice what you mentioned, but could not imagine it. why in the first place, why would you need to put that all things ooc when you have clear plan what to do ic, than you can implement it in whatever way you want - through realm laws, guilds and councils - and to deal with all possible opposition in it? what would ever be the reason to put that things ooc if not to meta-game.

you likely did not want that people recognize you as arrogant ruler, so you explained your action in advance, to clear what are you doing, to prevent most of opposition.

i already had situation when realm i was ruling was stuck into apathy, and my ruler-char begin with actions which turned ca. one third of nobility into opposition, which never existed before, but i never sent a single word of ooc explanation that my new initiative came from boredom, taking all consequences which could occur.

now indirik can say that i am imposing the others how to play, but it is not me, but game rules which are created and upheld for long, for better game quality. ooc is intended for players to talk about their absence or ask questions, discuss issues which cannot be brought to game world by other means.

ooc has nothing to do with internal policy plans, that would be the same when in the middle of theater play, actors would take off their costumes and begin explaining to visitors that "they are not so bad guys as their characters, and have to do some nasty things because of scenario demands". that is simply game-killer, and those who use it become monopolistic game-owners excluding everyone who want to play game according to game rules.

as a individual game player who simply wants to play game as it is intended according to game rules described, i feel completely overpowered by ooc clans on one side and different kind of meta-gaming on the other, and i have no chance to oppose such prevailing powers materialized through madly monolithic character  slot-hives.

if you play chess you are forbidden to leave your table to discuss your game with others, which also applies to each and every game which has any sort of competition included.