Author Topic: Settlers of Catan  (Read 10057 times)

Creedo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Settlers of Catan
« Topic Start: November 07, 2011, 04:57:36 AM »
I recently started playing the board game Settlers of Catan this summer while working in a mining exploration camp in the northern Yukon, Canada. There wasn't much to do some days so we had a lot of time to play and a lot of different people to play with. After a while the game gets EXTREMELY strategy based(there still is a small amount of luck involved) as you learn the tendencies of your opponents.

The game is basically centered around the control of resources and using them effectively. The game is originally German and is a German style board game (more strategy, less luck) but is recently gaining a lot of popularity in North America.

I wanted to make a post on this to get the game out into the Catan universe because I think that if you've got a "BM mind" you will definitely find value in this game!

If anyone already plays this game and thinks its worth talking about, feel free to elaborate on my post. I wouldn't mind getting a strategy forum going for Catan because most of you brilliant BM ers are amazing strategists.

P.S. They recently released a version of the game for Xbox 360 Arcade and it's totally worth buying.

Zakilevo

Re: Settlers of Catan
« Reply #1: November 07, 2011, 05:55:15 AM »
Ahh my friend taught me how to play this. We played a lot of 1v1 games. But it becomes extremely complicated with more and more people. Longest Road, Strongest Knight... I couldn't even touch those two most of the times. I gotta say this game is amazing :D

Creedo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 07, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »
Ideally I like to play with three players on the regular board or five players on the 5-6 player expansion.  The game gets pretty wild when you have lots of players to trade with.

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 07, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »
lol, it must have been 10 years ago since I played my first game of catan. It's nice, but for my taste to much luck based for a good competative boardgame.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 07, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »
Ah, I used to play this with friends. We had the two expansion packs available at that time. Fun times. I really liked this boardgame.

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: November 07, 2011, 06:04:38 PM »
It is some what luck based. Like all dice based games are. Blasted 7... Gotta hate 7 when you play with six players.

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 07, 2011, 08:25:43 PM »
True, but I play a lot of boardgames with some friends and for us the game is to predictable. Nah, we prefer a good game of Twillight Imperium or a Game of Thrones. We still have to test Diplomacy, but I heared some good stories about that.

Also, Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ikusa (they kept renaming the game) is very good, for a dice game.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 07, 2011, 10:29:15 PM »
Settlers must be my second favorite game. Machiavelli being the first :)

The main thing I dislike is how the map can be really disadvantageous (or advantageous), and sets the stage for a large portion of the game. I do like how different strategies can lead to success, though :)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 07, 2011, 10:34:55 PM »
We still have to test Diplomacy, but I heared some good stories about that.

It is the greatest game in the world.

Perth and I have an online game ongoing with several of our mutual friends, which has been running now for several weeks. It is an amazing and addictive game.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Creedo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 07, 2011, 11:21:56 PM »

The main thing I dislike is how the map can be really disadvantageous (or advantageous), and sets the stage for a large portion of the game. I do like how different strategies can lead to success, though :)

I know what you mean. If the desert is in the center the game kind of sucks.  I guess it's like RL though; you have to make due with what your given. The Ying and the Yang and all that good !@#$.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 07, 2011, 11:33:44 PM »
It is the greatest game in the world.

Perth and I have an online game ongoing with several of our mutual friends, which has been running now for several weeks. It is an amazing and addictive game.

It truly is the greatest game in the world.

After this one ends, I'm already eager to get another one going. The beginning of the current game was a bit rough (in turns of people submitting orders).

Also, I think I'm going to start a new thread for Diplomacy and maybe we can get some BM players going on a match!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Zakilevo

« Reply #11: November 08, 2011, 02:47:46 AM »
I hate playing it over online. Things never worked out so great. I remember three sevens in a row in one game. That was BS.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 08, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »
I hate playing it over online. Things never worked out so great. I remember three sevens in a row in one game. That was BS.

Why? It is statistically possible
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Creedo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 08, 2011, 03:33:25 AM »
Why? It is statistically possible

Well, the game is played with dice so rolling 7s for every turn of the game is statistically possible. At the end of the online game they give you a breakdown of what numbers were rolled and compares it on a bar graph next to the average.

egamma

« Reply #14: November 08, 2011, 05:56:43 AM »
I would love to play this online, where do you play?