Author Topic: Diplomacy: The Game of International Intrigue  (Read 98910 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Diplomacy: The Game of International Intrigue
« Topic Start: November 07, 2011, 11:50:08 PM »
Both myself and Vellos have a deep and never-ending love for a board game called Diplomacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_%28game%29

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/483/diplomacy

It is a strategy board game that is completely unique. The game hinges upon, you guessed it, Diplomacy. All moves are simultaneous, there are no dice or cards and thus no element of randomness in the combat mechanics and interpersonal skills and negotiating is a key part of the game. The rules and mechanics of the game are simple to understand and it has been equated with Chess in it's simplicity, but difficulty to master.

Now that I think about it, this game is probably very much suited to the likes of Battlemaster players, as we all know we all like to talk and plot a lot and that is pretty much what this game is all about. However, the one downfall of the game (though not really a downfall at all, for it makes the game so perfect) is that you need 7 players to play the real deal full game. Vellos and I are lucky to be able to pull together 7 players to play this amazing game a couple times a year. However, this requirement has lead to it being fairly popular online and through postal or e-mail play.

Vellos and I play on this site:

http://webdiplomacy.net

If anyone is interested, I can set up a private match for BM players and we can see if we can get a game going. It's really a ton of fun and can be very addicting (I built a 36" across custom board for the game this summer  8) ) so I thought maybe some of you would like to check it out.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomacy: The Game of International Intrigue
« Reply #1: November 08, 2011, 12:05:54 AM »
I'm definitely up for this, playing a private match online or whatever.

Plus, I know playing against the two of you will be quite intriguing indeed.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: November 08, 2011, 12:33:12 AM »
I'd love to, but I should not put so much time into gaming right now...

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 08, 2011, 01:47:52 AM »
I'd love to, but I should not put so much time into gaming right now...

Poo on responsibilities!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 08, 2011, 01:55:39 AM »
I've always been intrigued by this game, but I've never played it. Do you know anyplace I can get the board game? Do they still make this game, or do I have to buy it second hand?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 08, 2011, 01:59:35 AM »
It is a fun game. But it tends to get stale if you play a lot against the same people. The key is to keep adding new players to the mix.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 08, 2011, 02:11:26 AM »
I've always been intrigued by this game, but I've never played it. Do you know anyplace I can get the board game? Do they still make this game, or do I have to buy it second hand?

A lot of board game specialty shops carry it and if not can certainly order in to the store for you if you ask. I see the most recent version around with decent frequency; I've even seen it at a board game kiosk in the mall.

I would suspect your could probably find the latest version for a pretty decent price on Amazon or eBay. Though the older versions get pricey because they're seen as collector's items.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 08, 2011, 03:23:55 AM »
I find online versions to be more enjoyable, personally, as the game can take quite a while to finish.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 08, 2011, 03:47:19 AM »
I find online versions to be more enjoyable, personally, as the game can take quite a while to finish.

This is very true. 8-12 hour stints are not impossible for face-to-face games of Diplomacy!  :o
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 03:55:08 AM by Perth »

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 08, 2011, 04:14:54 AM »
Thanks for the information. I've searched around for Diplomacy, but most stores only offer Risk or Monopoly. I asked around and several people never heard of the game. Its probably around, but I just have to look harder! Might simply buy online.

Anyway, I signed up for the WebDiplomacy. If we get enough players, I'm up for a game.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 08, 2011, 05:26:54 AM »
Anyway, I signed up for the WebDiplomacy. If we get enough players, I'm up for a game.

Excellent.

We'll start a list to see if we can get 7.

- Perth
- Vellos (Not Confirmed, but I'm sure he'll want in)
- Silverfire
- Adriddae
-
-
-

We need three more, anyone else up for it?

egamma

« Reply #11: November 08, 2011, 05:55:23 AM »
http://gamesbyemail.com

You can play here too.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 08, 2011, 10:54:25 PM »
Hellz yes I'm in.

And I will screw you over once again Chase. Or should I say Czar Dmitry.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 08, 2011, 11:03:31 PM »
I am in, very very in.  One of my favorite games, though seeing some of the names here, I'm a bit intimidated!

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 08, 2011, 11:52:15 PM »
I just hope I'm not Austria or Germany.

I ALWAYS draw Austria or Germany. Always. It makes me sad.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner