Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Diplomacy: The Game of International Intrigue

Started by Perth, November 07, 2011, 11:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: Perth on February 28, 2012, 08:18:07 AM
I'm fine doing 2 or 3 day turns as well.

The great thing about it is even with 2 or 3 day turns, turns sometimes move faster when everyone is available, as once everyone "finalize" their orders the turn will go.

Let's go with 3 day turns. More fun if we know everyone can play to the fullest. And won't allow mistakes to ruin the game as easily.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Perth

3 days it will be!

Still need some more people to say they're playing, though!

Anyone? Vellos?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Penchant

Vellos doesnt have time. I already asked. Who were the people that played last time?
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
― G.K. Chesterton

BardicNerd

Penchant

Can someone post a set of rules/how to play? I never have played and would like to read the rules and know how to play before we start.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: Penchant on February 28, 2012, 11:00:09 PM
Can someone post a set of rules/how to play? I never have played and would like to read the rules and know how to play before we start.

Go to the link provided earlier in the thread to the website we use. It has a nice little set of rules and "how to play" for you to follow. Its not a ton but it is a good start. Mainly, its kind of like battlemaster, if you've ever been a ruler. Except more personal control of the military aspect.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Penchant

― G.K. Chesterton

BardicNerd

Well, I shouldn't give away all my secrets, but this will give you a decent intro to strategy and how to play: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Diplomacy

There are more in-depth and better guides, but I'll make you work to find them.  It's not terribly hard, and I can't just give away where to find the secrets . . . of course, simply knowing the strategy won't make you a great player, but it will certainly help.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: BardicNerd on February 29, 2012, 03:19:16 AM
Well, I shouldn't give away all my secrets, but this will give you a decent intro to strategy and how to play: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Diplomacy

There are more in-depth and better guides, but I'll make you work to find them.  It's not terribly hard, and I can't just give away where to find the secrets . . . of course, simply knowing the strategy won't make you a great player, but it will certainly help.

Best strategy: Have Perth defend your northern border. Apparently it works for both Coria and Italy.

Penchant

Lol nice. Have all of you been rulers before or currently are?

I have read some of that wiki but I don't think I will read much more until we start playing so I can read things specific to my country. (I read the rules, the strategies 1-3 and 7. Saw the alliances page and got scared away by the huge amount of info the page.)
P.S.How long do you think the game will last with 3 day turns?
― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: Penchant on February 29, 2012, 05:28:15 AM
Lol nice. Have all of you been rulers before or currently are?

I have read some of that wiki but I don't think I will read much more until we start playing so I can read things specific to my country. (I read the rules, the strategies 1-3 and 7. Saw the alliances page and got scared away by the huge amount of info the page.)
P.S.How long do you think the game will last with 3 day turns?

I doubt we've all been rulers. Perth and I have been (he still is) and our characters interacted, and still do.

The game can last anywhere from a month-3 months with 3 day turns, I'd expect. However, if everyone is active, the turns could go much faster than that, and we could see a fast game as well.

Perth

Quote from: Penchant on February 28, 2012, 11:00:09 PM

Quote from: BardicNerd on February 29, 2012, 03:19:16 AM

The actual rules to the game are not very complicated and actual fairly basic to learn and memorize.

It's HOW you play the game that takes a long time to perfect.  ;)

Quote from: Dante Silverfire on February 29, 2012, 04:16:06 AM
Best strategy: Have Perth defend your northern border. Apparently it works for both Coria and Italy.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this. Gawd, why I am so easily manipulated by you.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Gustav Kuriga

Just so everyone knows, I do not play for the official objectives of the game. Not to "Win" per-say. I play for my own objectives, so expect weird diplomacy from my end.