Author Topic: Jousting tournoment  (Read 15501 times)

egamma

Re: Jousting tournoment
« Reply #30: November 15, 2011, 05:48:31 PM »
Some would say Jousting is just using sticks :P

F=M*A*A

True--but you're adding the charge of the horses, which could easily end up in a 60mph (100kph) collision. Nowadays we have seatbelts and airbags to handle that type of acceleration (and deceleration).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: November 15, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »
F=M*A*A

True--but you're adding the charge of the horses, which could easily end up in a 60mph (100kph) collision. Nowadays we have seatbelts and airbags to handle that type of acceleration (and deceleration).

I doubt horses, with all that armor would go that fast.

Not sure if they wore armor in jousting contests, though.

Still, it is an important collision indeed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: November 16, 2011, 02:27:23 AM »
I doubt horses, with all that armor would go that fast.

Not sure if they wore armor in jousting contests, though.

Still, it is an important collision indeed.

Relative velocity, since both are approaching at speed.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: November 16, 2011, 07:28:35 PM »
Relative velocity, since both are approaching at speed.

Do horses in full armor go at 50km/h?

I honestly don't know. I wasn't under the impression that they do. And I was assuming they wore armor. Both assumptions may be false.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: November 16, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
Do horses in full armor go at 50km/h?

I honestly don't know. I wasn't under the impression that they do. And I was assuming they wore armor. Both assumptions may be false.

Why would they? They just wore some protection to the head.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: November 16, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
I did a small bit of reading on this subject, and I find it interesting that "jousting duels" were not strictly jousting. They generally included three separate feats of arms. The wikipedia article on jousting quotes one story written in 1390 which describes the duel as "...to tilt three courses with the lance, to give three blows with the battle axe, and three strokes with the dagger..."

Horses in jousting wore head armor called a "champron" or "chamfron".

And, quite interestingly, in one form of jousting the participants tried to knock feathered crests off of each others helmets!  :o
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: November 17, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »
I did a small bit of reading on this subject, and I find it interesting that "jousting duels" were not strictly jousting. They generally included three separate feats of arms. The wikipedia article on jousting quotes one story written in 1390 which describes the duel as "...to tilt three courses with the lance, to give three blows with the battle axe, and three strokes with the dagger..."

Horses in jousting wore head armor called a "champron" or "chamfron".

And, quite interestingly, in one form of jousting the participants tried to knock feathered crests off of each others helmets!  :o

Aiming for the head...? That's pretty badass. Something I'd imagine from a Jackass movie, though, to think of it.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: November 17, 2011, 01:21:54 AM »
Aiming for the head...? That's pretty badass. Something I'd imagine from a Jackass movie, though, to think of it.

Since the body was generally covered by the shield, which was curved to deflect the lance and minimize the impact, aiming for the head was a difficult yet successful strategy. There is tale of a English knight that won a jousting tournament, and when they went to award him for it, they found him kneeling at the blacksmiths anvil having his helmet removed, which had been spun and stuck 180 degrees around.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: November 17, 2011, 01:24:35 AM »
Since the body was generally covered by the shield, which was curved to deflect the lance and minimize the impact, aiming for the head was a difficult yet successful strategy. There is tale of a English knight that won a jousting tournament, and when they went to award him for it, they found him kneeling at the blacksmiths anvil having his helmet removed, which had been spun and stuck 180 degrees around.

Indeed, something one would expect from Jackass.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: November 17, 2011, 01:43:56 AM »
Indeed, something one would expect from Jackass.

Welcome to the Warrior caste, otherwise known as manly men whom must prove their manliness by whacking each other with what ever comes to hand. There are some well documented sociological studies that suggest a link between behavior like that shown on Jackass (which while extreme similar behavior is very common) and a lack of regimented initiation rights like those seen in tribal situations, and ritual outlets of aggression. So the guys from Jackass are really just acting out cause nobody will let them joust :)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: November 17, 2011, 03:29:00 AM »
Welcome to the Warrior caste, otherwise known as manly men whom must prove their manliness by whacking each other with what ever comes to hand. There are some well documented sociological studies that suggest a link between behavior like that shown on Jackass (which while extreme similar behavior is very common) and a lack of regimented initiation rights like those seen in tribal situations, and ritual outlets of aggression. So the guys from Jackass are really just acting out cause nobody will let them joust :)

Time to bring back jousting then! :D
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: November 17, 2011, 06:20:01 AM »
According to that last site's video, the unarmored horses go at 30mph I think I heard.

That is what it says, up to 30 mph. Mind you they don't look to be specially bred warhorses either.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: November 17, 2011, 06:26:54 AM »
That is what it says, up to 30 mph. Mind you they don't look to be specially bred warhorses either.

True. Some of them don't seem to be wearing much armor either, though.

Does anyone have a source saying how horses were equipped for these things? 'Cause putting armor on them to protect them from the sticks and splinters would make a lot of sense, especially since speed wasn't as useful as it might be on the battlefield and since lower speeds are less likely to result in serious injury.