Author Topic: Legend: new D&D-variant tabletop game, designed for speed and ease of play  (Read 6894 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
4ed tried to make encounters simpler and quicker, giving a kind of MMORPG feel to it. How do your attempts compare to those? Same or different focuses?

I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with 4ed rules, so I can't speak very authoritatively on this.  However, I don't find that the rules or the classes feel very MMORPG-like, to the extent that I understand what they are like.  One focus here was more on making it easier to create the character you want, without sacrificing utility.  I recommend going to the thread and asking these sorts of questions there.

Is this based off a general d20 system, or the 4th ed rules, or the 3.5ed rules?

I'm just curious. :P

I wasn't involved in the early stages, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think more or less 3.5ed in spirit, but d20 in practice, due to the legal issues involved (d20 is Open).

After years of not playing, I've started playing Pathfinder D&D (a 3.5 spinoff) with my friends. While I did spend time making sure my characters were useful (my current one is a sorcerer), I never really felt that casters were that OP at higher levels, at least when it comes to combat. Many high-CR monsters have crazy saves and SR, and many high-level spells have no or almost no effect when the monster succeeds on the saves. True, many do threaten with OHKs, which can be a bitch for the DM to handle, but I find that enemies resist my spells quite often despite my specializations and feats to counter SR.

I only started hearing about Pathfinder when I became connected with the Legend folks, so I can't really speak to this, either.  However, several of them have brought up specific and general issues with balance in Pathfinder that I can neither recall nor scrounge up right now, that Legend fixes.

Again, I recommend asking on the Reddit thread, where people more knowledgeable than I can respond.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan