Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 448255 times)

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #1170: April 04, 2012, 10:15:37 PM »
Firbalt is being evacuated. About time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1171: April 04, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
And the funny thing is: The Netherworld forces aren't even "vastly overpowered", as some whiners have it. In fact, their main advantage is that their power is concentrated, but in sum total, they're about equal to the human realms right now.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172: April 04, 2012, 11:12:49 PM »
And the funny thing is: The Netherworld forces aren't even "vastly overpowered", as some whiners have it. In fact, their main advantage is that their power is concentrated, but in sum total, they're about equal to the human realms right now.

Which is not small deal at all, specially considering the morale advantage and the repeated charges. I'm not complaining, but they are certainly not as fighting humans, and we are not quite fighting with equal strengths. Not we should either.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173: April 04, 2012, 11:19:28 PM »
Don't large archer units usually split up their attacks among a bunch of smaller units? The ranged Horrors just focus fire and completely disintegrate one unit a round, which seems a little unsporting.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174: April 04, 2012, 11:28:57 PM »

I'm not sure that's true right now, not at all. There are five daimon forces out there. Conservatively, they are about 25k CS apiece. No one realm can muster that much strength, most less than half that total, and there's only nine realms in all.

I don't think they're overpowered; they are certainly beatable. However, I think they have a significant force advantage right now even if you combine all the humans together, and they have major tactical and strategic advantages. Unlimited morale, incredibly fast strategic movement through the blight (if not outright teleportation), the ability to charge up walls, get knocked down and charge again and again and again, the ability to run TOs in any region they want, the ability to permanently deny access to conquered regions via the blight, hidden mechanics that make coming up with counter-strategies a guessing game, the list goes on.

In short, we've really got our work cut out for us, but I do think it's possible. If these horrors aren't the bottom of the barrel though, I think we are definitely toast. It'll be an all hands effort just to survive the current wave of attacks, if we survive. If we manage to destroy an army of horrors and the commander just heads into the blight and shows up with a whole new army of them a day later then I do not see any way we could possibly win.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175: April 04, 2012, 11:29:39 PM »
Don't large archer units usually split up their attacks among a bunch of smaller units? The ranged Horrors just focus fire and completely disintegrate one unit a round, which seems a little unsporting.

No they don't. The ranged daimons appear to be behaving exactly like any other ranged unit in the game so far as I can see.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176: April 04, 2012, 11:41:18 PM »
No they don't. The ranged daimons appear to be behaving exactly like any other ranged unit in the game so far as I can see.

Well then they're jerks. :(
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177: April 04, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »
Well then they're jerks. :(

Well, you know, Daimons... Overlord just sent letters made of human-skin parchment and blood for ink to the rulers. Not the merriest bunch.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1178: April 04, 2012, 11:54:43 PM »
I'm not sure that's true right now, not at all. There are five daimon forces out there. Conservatively, they are about 25k CS apiece. No one realm can muster that much strength,

As a matter of fact, four realms can.

I don't think they're overpowered; they are certainly beatable. However, I think they have a significant force advantage right now even if you combine all the humans together, and they have major tactical and strategic advantages. Unlimited morale, incredibly fast strategic movement through the blight (if not outright teleportation), the ability to charge up walls, get knocked down and charge again and again and again, the ability to run TOs in any region they want, the ability to permanently deny access to conquered regions via the blight, hidden mechanics that make coming up with counter-strategies a guessing game, the list goes on.

In short, we've really got our work cut out for us, but I do think it's possible.

That's exactly what I'm aiming for. If you survive this invasion, you should all be able to pat yourselves on the back and say "now that was a challenge".

And if you don't, at least you go down fighting, instead of just being steamrolled over. I really almost didn't notice that I can actually reach six capitals within one day from the Blight. Don't even have enough minions to attack them all simultaneously. :-)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179: April 05, 2012, 12:00:41 AM »
That's the bad part on being the ruler and wounded.

I see my messages counter increasing, and just know it they're from other rulers sharing things

From the rulers probably. A few interesting pieces, mostly stuff that's of no real interest to those outside of where it's happening.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180: April 05, 2012, 12:33:17 AM »
As a matter of fact, four realms can.

If you factor in militia maybe, but they shouldn't count for a number of reasons. They're not usually all in one place, for one thing. Neither can they move around to respond to daimon incursions. The daimon armies are mobile and concentrated. I would be impressed by any realm that could put 25kCS in one region. Thalmarkin managed 17kCS in their capital for the first battle, and they have probably the biggest mobile army and one of the richer capitals. Do you really think they could have pushed that up by another 8k CS?

Militia cannot be concentrated in one place the way mobile forces can (unless they're all in one region to begin with). Even in the capitals they're almost worse than useless anyway given the daimon ability to charge the walls over and over again; logic dictates you start all your forces in the rear to make sure the melee doesn't happen where the daimons can be thrown off the walls. With militia I'm not sure if this possible to accomplish since they always start in the middle.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181: April 05, 2012, 01:40:03 AM »
In short, we've really got our work cut out for us, but I do think it's possible. If these horrors aren't the bottom of the barrel though, I think we are definitely toast. It'll be an all hands effort just to survive the current wave of attacks, if we survive. If we manage to destroy an army of horrors and the commander just heads into the blight and shows up with a whole new army of them a day later then I do not see any way we could possibly win.

Indeed, it isn't impossible to defeat these hoards. Hard. Very very hard. But not impossible.
Another wave however... or any sort of combining of the existing armies, even if it's only 2, would mean the end end of humanity. No realm could stand again that and live, even if they get reinforcements from other realms, who are not being plagued by the 3 or 4 remaining armies...

Either way, I'm really enjoying it. :)

If you factor in militia maybe, but they shouldn't count for a number of reasons. They're not usually all in one place, for one thing. Neither can they move around to respond to daimon incursions. The daimon armies are mobile and concentrated. I would be impressed by any realm that could put 25kCS in one region. Thalmarkin managed 17kCS in their capital for the first battle, and they have probably the biggest mobile army and one of the richer capitals. Do you really think they could have pushed that up by another 8k CS?

After an extensive recruitment and setting up militia phase - all in one turn :P - Thalmarkin actually had 25k CS in it's capital the first battle. And we could've added 8k CS if we hadn't been rallying one of our armies (or both, not sure) in Vore to go out on campaign to Fronen. :P
Or perhaps more, as I would've had more people to handle with, more people, more gold, more hours, perhaps even more recruits... Oh well. :)

Militia cannot be concentrated in one place the way mobile forces can (unless they're all in one region to begin with). Even in the capitals they're almost worse than useless anyway given the daimon ability to charge the walls over and over again; logic dictates you start all your forces in the rear to make sure the melee doesn't happen where the daimons can be thrown off the walls. With militia I'm not sure if this possible to accomplish since they always start in the middle.

Our walls have actually been great for us in Unger. The first round of the first battle, we did 20k hits and took 6k hits.

But well... that's just talk of glorious past... :P Now we're lucky if we can get scratch 12k together, and every two battles the wall falls a level. The first battle even completely destroyed my level 5 walls, Level 4 survived one skirmish and one battle, now I'm at level 3... this isn't looking so great... :P

Turner

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182: April 05, 2012, 01:42:17 AM »
Old Grehk managed to get our combined mobile CS (not counting militia) up to nearly 20K at one stage, it was about 18-19K I believe. Maybe if every single noble was made to serve as a Warrior some of us may be able to get our forces up near 25K, but it is highly unlikely as all realms have some who are Priests and Courtiers and not everyone will be a Warrior.

The Daimons certainly appear to be hitting humanity hard at the moment, but the war is not over yet and the North still has plenty of fight left in it yet.
Michael (BT) - Marcus (BT) - Antonious (EC) - Claudius (EC)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183: April 05, 2012, 01:46:53 AM »
Priests might not be nessacary but I doubt that converting all your courtiers to warriors is not the best idea as they can help the realm quite a bit with their abilities.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184: April 05, 2012, 01:50:29 AM »
Old Grehk managed to get our combined mobile CS (not counting militia) up to nearly 20K at one stage, it was about 18-19K I believe. Maybe if every single noble was made to serve as a Warrior some of us may be able to get our forces up near 25K, but it is highly unlikely as all realms have some who are Priests and Courtiers and not everyone will be a Warrior.

The Daimons certainly appear to be hitting humanity hard at the moment, but the war is not over yet and the North still has plenty of fight left in it yet.

We had 23-24k CS mobile before the battles against Overlord in Bisana (or Bil Havil? can't remember). We had been sustaining 20k steady for months though. Since the invasion began pretty much, with some dips due to battles and long campaigns sometimes. Of course that did include myself sitting at home with a 1.2k CS unit, our judge with a 1.4k one and the marchioness of Lastfell with 800, plus some other who changed often.
We were ready for them but got overrun anyway... :P

But yes, the battle is definitely not lost I think.