Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 447738 times)

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #225: December 15, 2011, 01:13:31 AM »
Wow, Overlord's really bringing the party. I took the day off so I could watch the dam break.

Alright, I had it off anyways, but still. Looks pretty ominous!
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #226: December 15, 2011, 01:46:44 AM »
It could be a lot worse... In the Fourth Invasion the daimons had over 100,000 CS sitting in a city at one point when Heen and Mesh were being devoured.

Zakilevo

« Reply #227: December 15, 2011, 01:58:45 AM »
I think the last one was just... overdoing things. Like we had no chance of winning. If we gather all our men then we can win? Doubt it. I mean you have to think about the travel time, gold availability and equipment damage. The game isn't designed for a long travel battle.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #228: December 15, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
I think the last one was just... overdoing things. Like we had no chance of winning. If we gather all our men then we can win? Doubt it.

There is a reason invasions are feared.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #229: December 15, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
Well, I'd like to go back to cluehunting:

So far we in Riombara have not seen anything that would relate to 'a burning ruin', 'a demon that must be unbound'. We have adventurers hunting in Avengmil (where Nightfall of the South was killed) for anything out of the ordinary. We did try entering the Blight (is still impossible though there are now 'tiny daimons' reported there (which I think weren't reported before).

Judging from the videos (links can be found on the first page of this thread) there might be an amulet (in two halves?) uncovering a book (tortured guessing but lacking any hard evidence I am grasping at straws).

Note that as I as player have lived through each of the invasions except one (the second I think) but have been largely clueless during those where clues were of importance (not for lack of trying...). I'd like to point out that anyone inserting a clue into a game of this complexity needs to be aware that what he thinks is blindingly obvious will very likely be overlooked or massively misinterpreted. So either raising the ammount of datapoints or their clarity (compared to past invasions) would give those of us trying to find out about this invasion a chance - as during the past two invasions I /think/ noone came even close to finding out a significant portion of the lore involved.

I (bth as character and player) would so very much /love/ to find out more about the mechanics involved    :)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #230: December 15, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »
I said I enjoyed it. I didn't say it contains any vital clues. :-)

Something learned from the last invasion was that the story can be complex, but the core message must be really simple. And it really is very simply this time. All you need to do is do a bit of talking, not only to the Daimons but also amongst each other.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #231: December 15, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »
Sounds like adventurer stuff. But probably only one or two adventurers will ever stumble upon a single lead at any one time (That's how things go in the world). And no one adventurer can be the sole "hero".

Hm, I'm right, right? In this game, the reason Invasions are going to work not as well as planned (or at least differently than the ideal way to resolve the plot) is because we have a bunch of egos who think they can be the big hero. This is due to a lot of popular media that shows a single heroic dude as the protagonist. Much less frequently do we see truly equal portrayals of groups of people from different lands and even different times each making a tiny contribution, so small that individually they are forgotten, but which make up a powerful sum. For an interesting example, take Eternal Darkness, minus the girl who is the "hero"... And then you have a history of different individuals who by chance are faced with extraordinary situations, and who make small steps towards the final defeat of the...evil things. Ok, so it's not perfect. Nothing is.

The point is that I believe we as BM players are incapable of really "sacrificing" for the "greater good". And why should we? Some other players, especially certain notorious families whose characters are almost always going to tend towards one direction, would just stick their thumbs on their noses and watch you all flail around while they think they're safe or...doing something better, or whatever the heck is going through their stupid waste of carbon called a brain.

My prediction: Pessimistic. We are far too invested in our "accomplishments" in a freaking game (Like, goddamn, some people take BM a wee bit too seriously). I predict that, much like the 4th Invasion, we will for the most part, fail horribly like little idiots. If not for all the breaks we were pretty much given in the 4th (Mr. Tom guy reduced the daimons' ability to increase their forces and even manually decreased a bunch of them, Mr. Tom gave us the Light and then the Archons) then we would probably have been left in a worse state.

What does that mean for the end of 5th? I think we'll all be left with either a !@#$hole of a continent, or the continent goes down, whichever seems more appropriate. Accompanying all this will be a crapload of morons complaining about bull!@#$ because during the time that they could in fact do even the slightest thing to alter their future, they chose to be dumbasses and do their own !@#$ (It might not always be their fault, but I'm more talking about those !@#$%^&s who figure out some stuff but don't share it. Ok, sure, maybe their characters are intent on destroying humanity for some weird reason, but I can still think their players are !@#$%^&s for that lol. And besides, normal players who figure out stuff aren't bound at all not to share, so it's completely their choice to harm the group. That puts them in douchbaggery village for me.)

Oh, right, and so there will be a bunch of complaining, blah blah, happy loads of pointless cowcrap, with the end result being nothing changes...unless the complaints get really widespread and vocal, in which case the weight of the Invasion gets reduced.

Ah, and finally: You are free to prove me wrong. I very much doubt it.

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #232: December 15, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »
I cast my hopes into the waters
Awaiting judgement from the sea
And someday the tide will rise
Up so high to swallow me

nice and hopefull :D.....

And I agree with Artemesia, working together....never going to happen. To much ego's among most BM players (but thats the fun part some will say :P). Just like politics, lots of talking never really getting stuff done proper. What BT needs is one big human dictator to get things done and prepared.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #233: December 15, 2011, 01:59:03 PM »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #234: December 15, 2011, 02:02:09 PM »
Sounds like adventurer stuff. But probably only one or two adventurers will ever stumble upon a single lead at any one time (That's how things go in the world). And no one adventurer can be the sole "hero".

Hm, I'm right, right? In this game, the reason Invasions are going to work not as well as planned (or at least differently than the ideal way to resolve the plot) is because we have a bunch of egos who think they can be the big hero.

Actually, no you are not right.

There is no specific class required or at an advantage, and I've taken into account that in general those with the largest egos are the ones who become rulers, etc.

This is due to a lot of popular media that shows a single heroic dude as the protagonist. Much less frequently do we see truly equal portrayals of groups of people from different lands and even different times each making a tiny contribution, so small that individually they are forgotten, but which make up a powerful sum.

That's true, but very recent. WW2 was an example of the different kind, the general propaganda message was not "you can be a hero", but "do your share".

What does that mean for the end of 5th? I think we'll all be left with either a !@#$hole of a continent, or the continent goes down, whichever seems more appropriate. Accompanying all this will be a crapload of morons complaining about bull!@#$ because during the time that they could in fact do even the slightest thing to alter their future, they chose to be dumbasses and do their own !@#$

As in all group efforts, communication is key. Things started out surprisingly well, but the secret-keeping has already begun. And I will ruthlessly explore every little bit of it. :-)

While I was largely absent from the 4th invasion in person, all lessons learnt there will be applied this time around. If mankind wants to survive, it will have to overcome itself. We'll see how that goes.

My prediction: Pain. Lots of pain. Evil always wins.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #235: December 15, 2011, 02:04:43 PM »
I disagree strongly about the last part. While there can never be a victory against evil, as it perpetuates with each generation, there can be a constant war. There may not be a clear win as in "good triumphs over evil" absolutely, which is the whole point. Blah, into heavy territory. No. None of that. Listen to the music video I posted lol. Read da lyrics yo.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #236: December 15, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »
How about we wait for the result of the poll and bicker afterwards?

I kind of miss people following every little hint in-game, or the music videos posted (I've posted more) and trying to divine meaning out of it. It has meaning, and I found it very entertaining to follow the clue-hunt. Much more fun than discussing mortality.

I'm under the impression that a lot of people will be voting without either have been on the continent back then, or without having been in a position to judge its impacts first-hand. Granted, not all of them read the forums anyways, but it's a rather serious decision that I wish people who do on a more informed basis than a "sure, it adds ambiance therefore it must definately be good!". From anicdotal evidence, I am enclined to believe that those who lived it are much more likely to be against mortality, while those who never had it happen in a significant matter close to them are more likely to be in favor.

I'd rather people make informed decisions, as I doubt we'll get another vote on this later on. And so I expose my opinions on it. Because really, there isn't any point left to talking about it *after* the referendum ends. It'll be a done deal by then, and talking about it won't serve any purpose anymore.

So yea, I'm talking about it now. On the bright side, I won't really bother the forum with mortality afterwards, regardless of whether it passes or not.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #237: December 15, 2011, 10:20:31 PM »
That trickster of an Overlord!

So I guess that leaves Enweil or Riombara where they'll strike afaik... we'll see soon enough.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #238: December 15, 2011, 10:23:07 PM »
That trickster of an Overlord!

So I guess that leaves Enweil or Riombara where they'll strike afaik... we'll see soon enough.

Eh? Good thing the Riombaran army is still at home...

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #239: December 15, 2011, 10:30:01 PM »
Apparently OG wasn't the last one to reply at all. One realm didn't reply and then just shut up about it, happy OG was taking the fall.
That realm is screwed now.