Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 440857 times)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #315: January 01, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »
But our goal is to make an impenetrable land-bridge down south to Rio! >.>

Rio can work its way up North!

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #316: January 01, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »
But our goal is to make an impenetrable land-bridge down south to Rio! >.>

Rio can work its way up North!

Or... you know: fight daimons like everyone else?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 03:18:13 PM by Lorgan »

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #317: January 01, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
I was jesting, you realize?  Though such a "land bridge" would be interesting...  Wonder if that could work without mass revolts due to distance...

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #318: January 01, 2012, 09:45:56 PM »
I was jesting, you realize?  Though such a "land bridge" would be interesting...  Wonder if that could work without mass revolts due to distance...

Yes I realize. I wasn't though. OG is diligently planting the seeds of hatred in every realm on the continent right now. Oh well... my guess is you're betting on the sinking of BT and just want to accumulate as much family wealth as possible before it's over.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #319: January 01, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Family Wealth isn't important to myself or the leading players of OG that I personally know.  Hell, most of my characters are priests.  We don't exactly get huge influxes of cash like warriors tend to.

Zakilevo

« Reply #320: January 01, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »
I've been pouring my family gold into Enweil. Hack better to do whatever you can do to save BT while you can. So later I can say I tried my best but still wasn't enough.  ;)

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #321: January 02, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »
The seeds of hatred need to be planted?  I was pretty sure there were already full orchards of hatred before and nobles are vain and petty creatures.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #322: January 02, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »
The seeds of hatred need to be planted?  I was pretty sure there were already full orchards of hatred before and nobles are vain and petty creatures.

If there wasn't people were doing it wrong.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #323: January 03, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
After randomly poking around and reading about how the anon factory of the internet is capable of figuring out a whole ton of stuff, I wondered how come BM Invasions remain so veiled.

And I think I figured out a big part: We don't actually work towards a singular goal. A part of it is encouraged by the whole IC different goals stuff, which I suppose is "realistic", but those players whose characters do subversions shouldn't complain about how they don't know anything about the Invasions (Or maybe they do and they're just trolling y'all lol)

To remedy this, the 5th Invasion has given us a very good setup: We all know that the daimons are played by Tom. Therefore, we can run an internet factory of mass information production with a known goal: To show we are smarter than one guy.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #324: January 03, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
To remedy this, the 5th Invasion has given us a very good setup: We all know that the daimons are played by Tom. Therefore, we can run an internet factory of mass information production with a known goal: To show we are smarter than one guy.

Pfffhahahah!

Didn't you know that the IQ of a mob is the IQ of the stupidest member, divided by the number of people in it?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #325: January 03, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »
Anon factory effectiveness is actually inversely proportional to intelligence to each individual member, and directly proportional to size of sample, as well as the number of trials.

That means a whole bunch of idiots doing a bunch of random !@#$ a lot, then you'll get somewhere. It seems though that in general people in BM are individually too smart and that, ironically, means that the bigger community is a lot more idiotic as a result.

Zakilevo

« Reply #326: January 03, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
Well we have a bunch of experienced people. Even a person who was dumb probably became smart by now after years of playing. I think we have too many super quiet smart people and not enough of idiots.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #327: January 03, 2012, 09:52:48 PM »

So far, you are failing. :)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #328: January 03, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »
Being smart in terms of the human game (which is 99.9% of the entire game) does not make a difference in Invasion style stuff. And I do mean that you might, in fact, see people try to use the same strategies that would be useful against humans (like, oh, subterfuge, wordplay, and all that blah blah happy stuff) against the invader factions. And while Dwilight is not Invasion Island Beluaterra, a similar phenomenon exists there with people interacting with daimons.

Again, egos. It's the lols. We all think we know a lot, but really, we don't, and it's only in talking to other people who are in the same boat as we are that we find out just how little we actually know. But we're all afraid to do it. Or we revel in our supposed superiority of knowing something that we think we alone know when in fact...we still actually know nothing.

Oh yeah, and on my end: Dude, I play an adventurer. I don't know anything. People don't talk to me except to tell me where the next monster/undead group is or where some random sage is that doesn't matter anyway because I don't have a unique item on hand and by the time I reach the region he's gone already.

So there's my contribution, which is...Zero. But hey, I would say that my zero contribution is actually better than everyone else's so far (Except those guys who are updating the wiki page. Good job for those dudes.) because I am at least honest about what I know (Nothing) and what I don't know (Everything).

And yes, I know there will be people who will say "But my character's supposed to be an evil conniving !@#$%^&." Yeah, good for you. It's also ICly realistic to ostracize those characters, and I will state right now that if anyone does not immediately exclude such characters from interacting with everyone else in the 5th Invasion, then that is wrong (Unless their characters are also the same, in which case my statement only applies to people who are not playing Evil !@#$%^& Characters)

Strangely enough, for some reason we generally accept evil !@#$%^& characters a lot more than is realistic. Some even have positions of power. Now ask yourself: Seriously, would you really elect an ex-con to represent you? Because in game terms, that's pretty much what you're doing. But hey, if you're that much of a naive idiot, that's cool too. Just remember that those foreign princes aren't real princes. And if they are, they probably don't need your account number.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:27:58 PM by Artemesia »

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #329: January 03, 2012, 11:58:05 PM »
I'll play theory machine, though IC I admit my characters are not working towards the betterment of mankind.

My main contention is that this is actually a control movement for Overlord, and that he has political reasons which do not involve humans for needing a war with the humans as an expansionary war.

I'll also suppose that the war with the Undead was not "won" so much as stalemated, as a true victory is likely impossible.  In effect, removing the human realms has as much to do with denying the undead future soldiers as wanting slaves for his own purposes.