Author Topic: Fatigue  (Read 7485 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Fatigue
« Reply #15: December 04, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »
Apparently every six out of ten Mongolian cavalry were light cavalries. Rest being either lancers or heavy cavalries. They avoided facing excessively armoured enemies like knights. They shot their horses to reduce knights' mobility then chased them down. Usually leaving a gap between their position so enemies can escape. Then chased them down to pick them off one by one.

Yes the military tactics of the Mongols is a great read. Note that their heavy cavalry was much lighter armored then the European equivalents. They also tended to have multiple horses for each trooper, increasing the speed they could move at by switching horses.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #16: December 04, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »
Yes, but the mobility on the battlefield was what I meant, whether or not you actually end up fighting on a given battlefield.  Given that we can't simulate many of the other benefits of cavalry, like flanking maneuvers and hunting down broken forces and the like, I think having them handle evasion differently seems to make sense.

We already simulate some of it (the charge of heavy cavalry was feared), and I have plans to simulate flanking maneuvers.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #17: December 04, 2011, 02:00:58 PM »
I don't think flanking maneuvers and light cavalry charges are very realistic for medieval warfare.

during that time, warhorses were very big, had their own armor, and were essentially giant battering rams. they ran straight and hard and ran over everything in front of them. tactics were not that sophisticated.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: December 04, 2011, 03:02:16 PM »
Large Hunting and Evasion bonus for Cavalry then?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #19: December 04, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
I don't think flanking maneuvers and light cavalry charges are very realistic for medieval warfare.

There was some amount of light cavalry, and even mounted archers, but not all that much.

If we do this, I agree that we should split cavalry into light and heavy. But then we could argue the same for infantry.

Zakilevo

« Reply #20: December 04, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
If we do split things, heavy infantry should only be move 1 column per turn. They can't run that fast for too long. No flanking from heavy cavalries too. As it was impossible for them to change directions while charging.

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: December 04, 2011, 06:58:21 PM »
I think a lot of people would be highly surprised at just how innovative they were in the medieval ages tactics/strategies/arms development wise, and indeed just how rapid some of them were when need demanded, as for instance the English tried out no less then three different tactical possibilities against the Scots between Bannockburn and 1337.

Likewise such things as flanking maneuvers, feigned retreats and much more such as holding units in reserve while others pursued a beaten enemy etc had been in widespread use well before then, and so let's hope were able incorporate some of those without making things over complicated.     
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: December 04, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »
I think a lot of people would be highly surprised at just how innovative they were in the medieval ages tactics/strategies/arms development wise, and indeed just how rapid some of them were when need demanded, as for instance the English tried out no less then three different tactical possibilities against the Scots between Bannockburn and 1337.

Likewise such things as flanking maneuvers, feigned retreats and much more such as holding units in reserve while others pursued a beaten enemy etc had been in widespread use well before then, and so let's hope were able incorporate some of those without making things over complicated.     

Finally someone that gets it. The medieval age wasn't characterised by a lack of tactical flexibility or thought, the real problem was that you didn't have large amounts of professional troops, thus tactics were dictated by what you could achieve with poorly trained men. Even the trained Men at Arms and Knights were more focused on training on a individual level then training as a unit. Within those parameters they were quite innovative and as we get to the end of the age and the beginnings of what we would see as modern style professional armies suddenly they had a lot more options to utilise.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #23: December 05, 2011, 12:56:46 AM »
Even food they ate helped them to be mobile. I think it is called Borts or something like that. You just needed to add water or horse milk to eat it. I believe it was dried beef?