Author Topic: BM culture  (Read 44863 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: BM culture
« Reply #45: December 05, 2011, 11:52:42 PM »
That's the same issues I have with dueling, really. The only people actually good at it are the ex-adventurers and people who have a lot of gold and who, for long periods of time, did nothing but train at the academy.

Or who can, being the underdog and severely under trained, predict the type of advanced dueling strategy their opponent will use and beat them because of it. but yes.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: December 06, 2011, 12:18:23 AM »
Well, that's rather normal. If you go to unknown lands, why not at least pick a place where you know someone in? Especially if he's powerful there? Means you get an easier time to fit in, and someone to help you get some promotions. Also means you get some contacts with minimal effort, 'cause hey, we all gotta set priorities eventually. When I went to AT, that's sure what I did, 'cause I didn't know anything about politics there. (still don't, but that's another issue)

That is exactly the problem. Unless there is excess of positions, you are being put in front of others because of OoC knowledge.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: December 06, 2011, 12:22:06 AM »
That is exactly the problem. Unless there is excess of positions, you are being put in front of others because of OoC knowledge.

Show me a realm where there isn't an excess of positions in the current game today (besides like CE which is huge) and I'd be surprised. Most of the realms I've been in every election is one person running, maybe two, but very very maybe.

And I hear the same from other realms as well.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: December 06, 2011, 12:36:27 AM »

What are you talking about? What the hell is out-of-character about "Hey, Grand Duke Bob whose brother has had long cordial relations with mine, shall we go hunting together?", or, more bluntly, "Great Bob, surely you have heard from your brother of how reliable me and my family are!". We play families. In a medieval setting. There's absolutely nothing out of character about it.

And though it's not really the point, there is *is* an excess of positions. Pretty much everywhere I play.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: December 06, 2011, 01:11:34 AM »
As evidenced by the fact that to date, no one, and I do mean NO ONE has managed to become banned in every single realm on a continent via legitimate means...or even illegitimate.)

1. Is that even possible?
2. If so, Challenge Accepted! Was looking for an excuse to make a new toon...
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #50: December 06, 2011, 01:35:30 AM »
That's the same issues I have with dueling, really. The only people actually good at it are the ex-adventurers and people who have a lot of gold and who, for long periods of time, did nothing but train at the academy.

I can't remember a time where someone was being a dick & my char challenged them & and they turned out to be a great swordsman who won the duel.

Virtually every time they make excuses & refuse to duel - and very often continue being a dick.

You can talk about the fringe cases until the cows come home, but I'll bet you that if you built an atmosphere of treating chars who behave badly and then refuse to duel as outcasts, you would quickly "cure" 90% of the problem (which is not a huge one in the game in any case, IMHO)

Peer pressure & the ignore button ought to make this a non-issue

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: December 06, 2011, 01:49:25 AM »
Then again, you were being a dick and Ender challenged you and won...

And now we have that damn ghost lurking around. Talk about ridiculous...
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #52: December 06, 2011, 01:57:42 AM »
Then again, you were being a dick and Ender challenged you and won...

And now we have that damn ghost lurking around. Talk about ridiculous...

Uhm, not exactly.

Vort and Arnor had a duel over who would be the next Lord of Melmoor. Vort won, and is Lord.

Go back to sleep.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:07:12 AM by Jens Namtrah »

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: December 06, 2011, 02:04:08 AM »
I do think there's a disconnect between old/young players. I feel like I came into a game heavy into RP and light-hearted chatter, without this really slack hierarchy and revolving door positions here there and everywhere. You had to work a lot harder at progression and recognition. Even then, there was a lot more fun to be had whether you were going up in the world or not. There was greater emphasis not only on working together, but forming relationships with other players/characters. Newer players haven't experienced/don't see that same world. They don't have to care either, because their first position will probably come with some lordship election uncontested by any other character.

(Though the above could possibly be rose-tinted glasses? It was infuriating waiting for a chance at lordship, or rulership years and years ago. Rulers just didn't budge. They were as solid as rock. Positions were as hard to get then as they're easy to get now.)

I suppose I agree in a way that people have got nastier towards each other. But with chat and interaction harder to come by, who is teaching the new players what the accepted forms are and ought to be? Why aren't we older players playing the game like it used to be played and interacting in the same ways? Surely we ought to be leading by example, but a lot of us have withdrawn. Older players who once might have been a pretty interactive bunch tend to be silent now - I mean, my characters tend often to go through these long periods where they're essentially silent automatons whereas a few years ago, I made more of an effort.

It doesn't help, either, that we have so many older players who have been around long enough to know whether they like playing with this or that player. It definitely feels like a few of us are carrying grudges with our characters and that isn't helping any. Then there are all the issues of player nepotism which has been mentioned, or realms where a few old players dominate top positions yet have become fairly quiet inactive and inadvertently suck the life out of realms.

So yeah, not only did I start out playing what I feel to be a very different (I'd say more more fun) version of BM, but now I'm one of those old players with all the baggage that brings. I play out of habit more than anything these days. If I go for positions it's probably just so I get to see and indulge in more chatter than seen in typically deserted realm channels than for reasons of ambition or wish to make a mark. All that's very same-old, same-old now. A lot of the fun I do have is based in continuing to play with players I've played with for years, like all the ASI folk and what have you.

I have tried the last six months or so to be more interactive with my characters, to try and provoke more discussion and chatter. But newer players don't seem to have the knowledge or the tools to reciprocate and I too easily fall off the wagon back into silence again myself. So I'm not even a decent poster-child for that old, inclusive, light-hearted, chatty culture I wish we still had. I suppose it's pining for a bygone age and I should get involved in the politics and all the strategy side again, but as I say, don't have the passion and General/Marshal positions are things you had to get to prove yourself back in the day. Probably still now. The point is that you get them done and move on to greater things. Then never, ever go back :-P

And then they go out of their way to challenge any and everyone to deaths duel as a form of meta-execution/assassination. I love that this age-old debate keeps on raging >.<

Zakilevo

« Reply #54: December 06, 2011, 02:34:01 AM »
holy crap. Revan, you make really good points. I agree with old players being very quiet. It feels like I am sending a letter to zombies whenever I have to write a letter to them. I only see RPs in Sirion out of four characters I have. I thought FEI supposed to be an RP continent but I don't see any RP... Newer players might be leaving because they got tired of dealing with silence in the realms they are in too. We need something to make old players be more active and newer players to be involved into things.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: December 06, 2011, 02:39:01 AM »
holy crap. Revan, you make really good points. I agree with old players being very quiet. It feels like I am sending a letter to zombies whenever I have to write a letter to them. I only see RPs in Sirion out of four characters I have. I thought FEI supposed to be an RP continent but I don't see any RP... Newer players might be leaving because they got tired of dealing with silence in the realms they are in too. We need something to make old players be more active and newer players to be involved into things.

Its not the RP continent, that concept and experiment die long ago. Realms like Arcaea (though the amount has reduced lately) GA and Arcachon do tend to have a far bit of RP though.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: December 06, 2011, 03:12:34 AM »

The new aren't really any more talkative than the old, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #57: December 06, 2011, 03:20:22 AM »
Most of the time, they don't even know what most nobles of the realm they are in are talking about. The problem is, some people vote for nobles because they are elders of the realm. Especially newer ones I think. They might think leaving the government positions to older people is a better thing to do than taking it for themselves. I would rather have someone active and a bit inexperienced than someone much more experienced but a zombie. An inexperienced player can become experienced over time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: December 06, 2011, 03:21:41 AM »
The new aren't really any more talkative than the old, though.
Maybe because they don't have the old players setting the chatty example for them any more? We also don't have a lot of the copy/paste police work and civil work reports, etc. that we used to have.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: December 06, 2011, 03:22:21 AM »
Most of the time, they don't even know what most nobles of the realm they are in are talking about. The problem is, some people vote for nobles because they are elders of the realm. Especially newer ones I think. They might think leaving the government positions to older people is a better thing to do than taking it for themselves. I would rather have someone active and a bit inexperienced than someone much more experienced but a zombie. An inexperienced player can become experienced over time.

I would prefer that people stop throwing the word active around. It always makes my IR sense tingle.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.