Author Topic: Veteran VS Rooky recruits  (Read 18558 times)

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
Veteran VS Rooky recruits
« Topic Start: December 06, 2011, 02:28:05 PM »
I was thinking about realms, wars and the troops. One thing struck me as odd, that is that realms that go to war all the time seem to have equal troops as realms that sit around doing nothing. So I came with a proposal. It´s still rough, but might be wearth to discuss.

1. Realms that are at war might develop over time a bonus to the training score of recruitment centres. Veterans would come back from the war and pass on their skills at the recruitment centres (or be recruited aggain). Realms that have only peace and don't see battles that often would see a drop of training over time.

Some realms might start wars to keep their recruits trained and have a better army ready for when it really counts. Also, as the weapons and armour of the recruits don't change those scores stay the same.

2. The bonus or penalty should reflect the troops. I was thinking of 10-20% of the traing the troops don't have. Let me explain this.

RC, training 20%. These are very weakly trained militia. They would benefit a lot from constant war as they could learn a few basic skills for survival. The opposite is also true, as they most likely are farmers or other low peasents during peace time they will forget even more basic skills. Their range of training would be from 2-38%. (100%-20%=80 80*0.20=18%)

RC, training 90. These are highly trained troops. Profesionals that gain a long training before they are ready for recruitment. Or they are from a regions with a long military tradition. (something like that) These troops won't learn much from a war. Also, in peace time these man keep training and stay sharp. They won't return to their other jobs, as being a soldier is their job. Their range from training would be from 88%-92% (100%-90%=10  10*0.20=2%)

Part 1 is the basic idea of my suggestion and part 2 is how it could possible work out. I am very curius about the ideas of other people on this matter? (and please, focus on this matter and let's not end up with a discussion about to much peace, as I know there are people out there that love to whine about thats subject :P)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Veteran VS Rooky recruits
« Reply #1: December 06, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »
1. Realms that are at war might develop over time a bonus to the training score of recruitment centres. Veterans would come back from the war and pass on their skills at the recruitment centres (or be recruited aggain). Realms that have only peace and don't see battles that often would see a drop of training over time.

There's a problem with this theory.

That problem is that by and large, troops don't come back from wars and retire.  They pretty much fight till they die. 

Yeah, some get set up as militia, and then the militia units slowly lose members until they auto-disband, but mostly, people keep their units until they get slaughtered.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 06, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »
(and please, focus on this matter and let's not end up with a discussion about to much peace, as I know there are people out there that love to whine about thats subject :P)

Sorry, but I have to squint very hard to see the difference.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 06, 2011, 03:10:21 PM »
They pretty much fight till they die.

I think that most of those "deaths" are actually man that desert in the heat of battle. These deserters return home and could be recruited again. Of course, this is just my vision of the matter. But I hardly see that a noble goes out and look at all corpses to see if all his man are reallyd ead on the battlefield. When they don't apear at the end of battle at the camp then they must de dead. Especially after a defeat.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 06, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »
I think that most of those "deaths" are actually man that desert in the heat of battle. These deserters return home and could be recruited again. Of course, this is just my vision of the matter. But I hardly see that a noble goes out and look at all corpses to see if all his man are reallyd ead on the battlefield. When they don't apear at the end of battle at the camp then they must de dead. Especially after a defeat.

Well, you certainly win points for originality.  I can't see a single thing in the actual game that could remotely suggest such an interpretation.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 06, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
Well, you certainly win points for originality.  I can't see a single thing in the actual game that could remotely suggest such an interpretation.

Well, a unit fighting to their death might be close to what we see in game, but is it realistic? It goes nicely with the knight in shining armor that most people tend to see, but in reality? I thought most battles in medieval times where not won by the number of kills but by the number of soldiers routing.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: December 06, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »
Well, a unit fighting to their death might be close to what we see in game, but is it realistic? It goes nicely with the knight in shining armor that most people tend to see, but in reality? I thought most battles in medieval times where not won by the number of kills but by the number of soldiers routing.

Which were then slaughtered.

I'm not aware of any actual numbers for medieval battles, but for the famous ancient greek Battle of Marathon, we do have a precise number of losses for one side: 192 athenian soldiers lost their lives. The persians lost over 6000 men.

I have toned down this aspect in BM, because otherwise one decisive battle would decide a war. But the fact is that the losers very often had losses far higher than the winners, exactly because routing pretty much equalled slaughter.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 06, 2011, 04:10:20 PM »
I thought most battles in medieval times where not won by the number of kills but by the number of soldiers routing.
Which is modeled in the game by units breaking and retreating. And even deserters are modeled, after a fashion, by men who just aren't there when you try and rally them.

As to the original idea, this would give a bonus to those realms that continually fight wars, and penalize those that don't. But I hardly see it as a motivator for realms to be at war. I just can't see someone sitting there  and saying to themselves: "Hey, the training levels in our RCs are dropping, we better go fight someone so that our RCs are top notch ... in case we ever need to ... fight someone?" A good invitation to game the system, I think.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 06, 2011, 05:01:16 PM »
I like the idea but now how it would be 'implemented' if that is the right word...
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

egamma

« Reply #9: December 07, 2011, 07:56:18 PM »
This idea is simply "turn half the TMP functionality back on".

After all, if my 20% training RC *can* be a 35% training RC, but isn't because my realm never fights, isn't that the same as a penalty? Soon enough people will complain about that.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 07, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
if your realm is at peace.. why would you want to pay extra to recruit highly trained men? you pay ill-trained men then train them up yourself  whilst upping cohesion!
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 07, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »
... which costs money. Maybe more than it would have cost to just hire recruit with higher training to begin with.

But you do have a point about cohesion.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 08, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
Which were then slaughtered.

I'm not aware of any actual numbers for medieval battles, but for the famous ancient greek Battle of Marathon, we do have a precise number of losses for one side: 192 athenian soldiers lost their lives. The persians lost over 6000 men.

I have toned down this aspect in BM, because otherwise one decisive battle would decide a war. But the fact is that the losers very often had losses far higher than the winners, exactly because routing pretty much equalled slaughter.

O.o I was under the impression BM was set in medieval times....but then again, I could be wrong. Your right on the part that most where killed, but a few deserted and escaped. One veteran can train 100 new recruits.

As to the original idea, this would give a bonus to those realms that continually fight wars, and penalize those that don't. But I hardly see it as a motivator for realms to be at war. I just can't see someone sitting there  and saying to themselves: "Hey, the training levels in our RCs are dropping, we better go fight someone so that our RCs are top notch ... in case we ever need to ... fight someone?" A good invitation to game the system, I think.

It is a game after all :P, but on the other hand. There are a lot of mechanics now that can be played in a role or be played as a game. If you want to model everything perfectly you will end up with a majro crisis on most continents due to the fact of the pure annihilation of the male population, due to the fact they all go to war and end up dying.

This idea is simply "turn half the TMP functionality back on".
And my question is, where in tmp was the part that it affected RC's? This suggestion is not tmp.

if your realm is at peace.. why would you want to pay extra to recruit highly trained men? you pay ill-trained men then train them up yourself  whilst upping cohesion!

Yes, it might even be a bonus for realms at peace who have the time to train. Yet when you suddenly come to war your RC's are weaker and your first refit will notice it. It won't be drastic, but the effect would be present.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 08, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »
It is a game after all :P, but on the other hand. There are a lot of mechanics now that can be played in a role or be played as a game. If you want to model everything perfectly you will end up with a majro crisis on most continents due to the fact of the pure annihilation of the male population, due to the fact they all go to war and end up dying.

That's fine, because 95% of all newborns are male anyways.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 08, 2011, 09:48:50 PM »

But then the men that are left all have high training, so their kids are even more awesome. That's called evolution!

Anyways I thought BM was pretty equal-opportunity compared to most medieval-type settings. Who's to say all those troops are male?
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.