Author Topic: Noble Houses  (Read 4642 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Noble Houses
« Topic Start: January 06, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
How would that work in practice? I'm not talking of the gritty details of the code, but just the naming convention.

Would I sign "Joe von Genf, of the Genfereien Noble House", and then player Kepler would sign "Bill Kepler, of the Genfereien Noble House"?

Or would he sign "Bill von Genf", but be played by Kepler?

Or would he just sign "Bill Kepler", but have his noble house information shown elsewhere?

I think there would have to be three categories:

• Members of the main house—these would sign their name simply Bill von Genf, and maybe be just those played by the original creator of the von Genf house and those approved by him
  • Members of lesser branches of the von Genf family—these would sign their name Bill, of House von Genf
  • Members of branches of the family that have become prominent enough in their own right to have a separate name—these would sign their name Bill Kepler, with indication elsewhere of their membership in the greater House of von Genf.

(I was, at least in part, the originator of the system Indirik describes. And yes, I've been thinking about it for a long time. It would be just absurdly cool.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan