Author Topic: Let's go viral  (Read 3266 times)

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Let's go viral
« Topic Start: January 09, 2012, 09:49:15 AM »
We need links on the front page that lets users share the glorious goodness that is BattleMaster via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.

Even better would be to let us directly invite our friends on Facebook and Google+.

Because, let's face it, BM appeals to a rather small subset of human beings. Word of mouth is not enough. We need to spam all of our contacts in order to maybe grab a few new players.
------
qui audet vincit

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Let's go viral
« Reply #1: January 09, 2012, 09:59:02 AM »
We need links on the front page that lets users share the glorious goodness that is BattleMaster via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.

Even better would be to let us directly invite our friends on Facebook and Google+.

Because, let's face it, BM appeals to a rather small subset of human beings. Word of mouth is not enough. We need to spam all of our contacts in order to maybe grab a few new players.

Yeah great lets become a another Zynga and allow our players to piss off everyone they know in a effort to garner a few extra players.  You know what, Facebook already lets you send a message and link to any of your friends about battlemaster if you are so inclined, no need to provide the means to do so.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 09, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »
People are lazy. A giant button will lead to higher participation than telling people to "do it yourself".

Also, this would allow Tom more control over how his game is marketed.
------
qui audet vincit

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 09, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
People are lazy. A giant button will lead to higher participation than telling people to "do it yourself".

Also, this would allow Tom more control over how his game is marketed.

Do we really WANT to market the game as - Just as annoying as whatever-ville, just with less graphics?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 09, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
Do we really WANT to market the game as - Just as annoying as whatever-ville, just with less graphics?

He's not suggesting to get in-game benefits by spamming your friends, is he? I can understand some would like to share their ducal appointment with their friends on facebook, with a neat looking message. I wouldn't use it myself, though :P

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 09, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
He's not suggesting to get in-game benefits by spamming your friends, is he? I can understand some would like to share their ducal appointment with their friends on facebook, with a neat looking message. I wouldn't use it myself, though :P

I've deleted contacts on facebook for sending those neat looking achievement messages.  But to my understanding that wasn't what he was asking for, he was asking for one of those "invite friends to play" buttons. I could actually support achievement messages, so long as we implement the controls to set them up to only message selected contacts. I know my wife wouldn't love to receive my BM achievement messages.
Since they are personal contacts we should already know them well enough to know who might be interested in playing the game. If as a individual you can't be bother enough to send such people a message, well you are hardly going to spend the effort that is generally required to actually get the new player to stick around.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:20:43 PM by De-Legro »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: January 09, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »
We had those buttons for a short while. Didn't do much.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 09, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
We had those buttons for a short while. Didn't do much.

Not in War Islands either, I believe.
My point was more based on principle than pragmatic merit. Hell, I wouldn't want to receive those either :D

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 09, 2012, 06:07:34 PM »
I'm thinking giant poster which we can give to those guys who go around spreading messages of doom.

Sort of like this.

With a little "so go play BM" with a link below.  ;D
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell