Author Topic: The Zuma  (Read 215462 times)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Zuma
« Reply #660: April 01, 2013, 11:28:58 PM »
You mean you couldn't have figured out that the ruler of the Zuma might know something about what the Zuma were doing?

I mean I didn't even know the Zuma were doing anything at all until they attacked Chesney. I found out about it the day they arrived. Nobody in Saffalore even knew the Zuma were doing anything except near Phantaria. If we'd had any indication at all, we would've gotten in touch with Haktoo, but she never got in touch with us. Everybody woke up one day and they were in Chesney with the only 'demand' being 'we'll destroy this city while you (Octavian) still live,' according to Octavian.

I don't expect a personal invitation but I would have expected somebody involved to have some kind of notice.

Scarlett, I'm sorry, but I really don't think the Zuma are the ones doing it wrong here.

I'm quite sure I'm doing it wrong. I worry about large groups of players with influence. I don't think to check in with the GM. But hey, you want more players like Allison, more power to you. My one interaction with her consisted of her admitting publicly that she didn't consider important 'the use of titles' in communication with other nobles. SMA indeed! Could be there's a reason that so few actual players go along with her.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #661: April 02, 2013, 02:42:18 AM »
I realize I could have sent her a groveling letter after Chesney was attacked, but I don't have any interest in playing that game because every time you deal with the Zuma, as Perth pointed out, it's either grovel or lose, to say nothing of the fact that I enjoy RP that is low-fantasy and medieval as it says on the front page. The Zuma aren't medieval and they aren't even especially interesting. They don't fit into a medieval theme and even though I've had some interesting exchanges with them in the past, they have never added any value to my experience even when they've been on my side. There is very little characterization because they're nonhuman and that's hard to do, and even dealing with them at all requires a very 21st century approach to alien beings. Medieval nobles could barely get along with people from the same culture, much less a foreign culture, much less a foreign species led by demons. It's a bad idea that is poorly executed to boot.

This is another of my main problems. I just recently had a successful communication with Haktoo, but even then it was awkward because I didn't know how to interact with her(it?). She has no title that I can see, and yet I knew she demands respect so I was unsure of how to address her and not bring her anger. Add on top of this that my character is Kale Perth, Phantaria embodied, the former Magistrate of War of the Republic of Terran, a Duke, a 50 year old medieval noble who spent his life carving out civilization out of the Maroccidens, and then in later life leading armies of the Véinsørmoot and coordinating forces of the 'Moot and the Astrocracies across the continent of Dwilight. I simply am confused at how he is supposed to interact with a Daemon overlord. Perhaps its a failure on my RP part, but I AM trying to learn, but it is certainly awkward and confusing.

The de facto policy of Terran in the later years was always "Just leave them alone." We thought if we didn't bother them they would leave us alone. That by not interacting with the Zuma we provided them no chance to get offended or angry at us. We would even sell them food when we had to spare (which wasn't often). But that doesn't work either. You literally have to please them more than the other guy or you lose. Grovel or bribe or suffer. But, maybe that is intended, idk.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #662: April 02, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »
I think they should burn down eveything within 750 miles of their capital.

As long as they clearly announce the policy, go for it! That would be neat.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #663: April 02, 2013, 02:56:32 AM »
One of my encounters with Haktoo when I was king a while back was a complete !@#$show. I have since learned how to communicate with the Zuma.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664: April 02, 2013, 03:35:35 AM »
Wait... the Zuma attacked the city of which Octavian was duke? The same Octavian that was (allegedly) trying to maneuver the Zuma into attacking Asylon and/or Iashalur? Well hell, no wonder they want to burn down his city. If Octavian is claiming he doesn't know why the Zuma are there, it's probably just him not wanting to admit what happened.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #665: April 02, 2013, 03:53:23 AM »
The same Octavian that was (allegedly) trying to maneuver the Zuma into attacking Asylon and/or Iashalur?

I'd be surprised if Octavian was up to something like that. He was always pretty low key. It was Kas who tried messing around with the Zuma.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #666: April 02, 2013, 04:22:38 AM »
Lesson #1 : Don't blatanly use the Zuma...
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #667: April 02, 2013, 04:38:40 AM »
This was supposed to somehow be tied to the Zuma that were up in Itaufield, allegedly headed to Iashalur, though they never made it that far. I think they stopped in Itaufield.

Yeah, you may want to ask Octavian again.

Daimall

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #668: April 02, 2013, 05:51:56 AM »
No wonder why we in Iashalur were getting reports of Zuma moving to north to attack us for some reason. We were all wondering if it would actually be true or not.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #669: April 02, 2013, 07:26:17 AM »
This was supposed to somehow be tied to the Zuma that were up in Itaufield, allegedly headed to Iashalur, though they never made it that far. I think they stopped in Itaufield.

Yeah, you may want to ask Octavian again.

If Octavian really did this it'll be a huge shock.

He's a pretty mellow dude.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #670: April 02, 2013, 07:33:58 AM »
If Octavian really did this it'll be a huge shock.

He's a pretty mellow dude.

Yeah I wouldn't expect that of him at all. Kas or Kwa on the other hand...

Maybe Octavian was framed?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #671: April 02, 2013, 07:38:20 AM »
Yeah I wouldn't expect that of him at all. Kas or Kwa on the other hand...

Maybe Octavian was framed?

Alternatively, I do believe he said some inflamatory anti-Zuma things. That's been my suspicion since I saw the attacks: probably Kas forwarded some messages.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #672: April 02, 2013, 08:20:55 AM »
Alternatively, I do believe he said some inflamatory anti-Zuma things. That's been my suspicion since I saw the attacks: probably Kas forwarded some messages.

Yeah, that was my guess earlier in the thread. When the Zuma go on war parth, chances are someone showed them a message of someone else saying something unsavory about the Zuma (real or forged).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #673: April 02, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
That happened once, and it turns into "usually"? Quit perpetuating falsehoods.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #674: April 02, 2013, 02:17:24 PM »
I didn't even know who this Kas was...  How long ago was he in Terran?
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)