Author Topic: The Zuma  (Read 215511 times)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Zuma
« Reply #480: February 23, 2013, 04:55:44 AM »
Yet this?

There's no salient, rational response you can have to something like that. Also, I never claimed to be some sort of paragon of discoursive integrity. But yeah that comment was absurdly funny and dumb and pompous.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #481: February 23, 2013, 05:32:17 AM »
There's no salient, rational response you can have to something like that. Also, I never claimed to be some sort of paragon of discoursive integrity. But yeah that comment was absurdly funny and dumb and pompous.
So you were replying to the Kwanstein with his own words or you thought that Vellos's response was "inadequate for a man of thought"? That is where I am confused. Also we are hugely off-topic.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #482: February 23, 2013, 05:48:48 AM »
So you were replying to the Kwanstein with his own words or you thought that Vellos's response was "inadequate for a man of thought"? That is where I am confused. Also we are hugely off-topic.

I was quoting it because it was the worst post ever made
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #483: February 23, 2013, 06:37:08 AM »
What, exactly, is wrong with the reasoning of my post? Or do you mean to say that it's 'wrong' in some sort of abstract, philosophical sense, such as that it's an unprecedented breach of internet social protocols and therefore immoral.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #484: February 23, 2013, 07:12:55 AM »
What, exactly, is wrong with the reasoning of my post? Or do you mean to say that it's 'wrong' in some sort of abstract, philosophical sense, such as that it's an unprecedented breach of internet social protocols and therefore immoral.

It's not abstract or philosophical, it's hilariously masturbatory. I don't know how you can expect people to take it seriously when you talk like that. You're obviously not a thinking man if you don't even know how to build up credibility. Aristotlean artistic proofs, much? Or maybe your time's too caught up, as an educated gentleman, being an internet sophist to learn about how to actually persuade people. Or at least not come off as a jerkass over two sentences.

Also it's a not a breach of "internet social protocols" (lol), it's a breach of... basic human interaction?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:18:15 AM by Norrel »

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #485: February 23, 2013, 07:38:50 AM »

I was just chuckling at the pomposity of identifying yourself as a "thinking man," implicitly pegging the rest of us as not being such. Which is a little insulting.

And.... yeah you kind of just ignored my whole post. You can't just write it off. I mean, you can– but it was good advice.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #486: February 23, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
It's not abstract or philosophical, it's hilariously masturbatory. I don't know how you can expect people to take it seriously when you talk like that. You're obviously not a thinking man if you don't even know how to build up credibility. Aristotlean artistic proofs, much? Or maybe your time's too caught up, as an educated gentleman, being an internet sophist to learn about how to actually persuade people. Or at least not come off as a jerkass over two sentences.

Also it's a not a breach of "internet social protocols" (lol), it's a breach of... basic human interaction?

You expect to read Aristotlean level rhetoric on an internet forum? Now who's being pompous...

I was just chuckling at the pomposity of identifying yourself as a "thinking man," implicitly pegging the rest of us as not being such. Which is a little insulting.

And.... yeah you kind of just ignored my whole post. You can't just write it off. I mean, you can– but it was good advice.

But most people are not thinking men, if they were then the distinction would mean nothing.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #487: February 23, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
But most people are not thinking men, if they were then the distinction would mean nothing.

Didja ever think, Kwanstein, that maybe, just maybe, the distinction does mean nothing...?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488: February 23, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »
I think that's enough back and forth OT debate for this thread. If you want to continue this debate, or perhaps discuss the correct spelling of Aristotelian, take it to a new thread or to PMs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:44:09 PM by Indirik »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #489: February 23, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »
I think that's enough back and forth OT debate for this thread. If you want to continue this debate, or perhaps discuss the correct spelling of Aristotelian, take it to a new thread or to PMs.

+1, correct spelling comment made me actually laugh.

So, Zuma. 

Are they still paying top dollar for food?  I remember the D'Harans were none to pleased at being out bid back in the day when I had a few thousand bushels to sell. . .

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #490: February 23, 2013, 08:00:02 PM »
How about Zuma's war on Morek? I wonder if that might change.  :-X
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #491: February 23, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
Sadly, the Zuma no longer buy food at top dollar.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #492: February 23, 2013, 10:21:54 PM »
Impossible, we're persecuted everywhere we go.

"We"?

You're not even in Aurvandil.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #493: February 24, 2013, 01:08:49 AM »
Speaking of the Zuma– will be interesting to see if they make any reaction to Aurvandil's invasion of Barca.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #494: February 24, 2013, 01:54:41 AM »
Speaking of the Zuma– will be interesting to see if they make any reaction to Aurvandil's invasion of Barca.

Why would they? I don't know much about their relationships, so I'm curious.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.