Author Topic: Aurvandil's War Machine  (Read 83710 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Aurvandil's War Machine
« Reply #105: February 07, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »
Nobles draining gold for their families are the curse of many realms.

Kick them. If you allow that to happen, either you don't care for the realm or it is still a net benefit for the realm.

The "funneling" of gold out of a realm for personal profit or to aid your other character somewhere else is fully intentional. Its purpose is to create conflict. Absolutely nothing in the game says you have to take it, you know?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #106: February 07, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
There are rumours of realms that love peace because the majority of the nobles are sending gold to the family and thus the realm is poorly equipped to fight a war for example.

Conquer them.

Really, this is a game of war and conflict. There is a very simple, straightforward solution to all of these problems. You just have to get your lazy ass up and do something in-game instead of in the forum. The game isn't "won" (by any definition) on the forum.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: February 07, 2012, 03:25:04 PM »
Kick them. If you allow that to happen, either you don't care for the realm or it is still a net benefit for the realm.

The "funneling" of gold out of a realm for personal profit or to aid your other character somewhere else is fully intentional. Its purpose is to create conflict. Absolutely nothing in the game says you have to take it, you know?

Absolutely agree; the problem is how to prove it. You don't get to see players' transactions.

If secret police reports would reveal, say, the last 5 bank transactions, THAT would be useful, and cracking down on gold leeching would be much easier.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: February 07, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »
Absolutely agree; the problem is how to prove it. You don't get to see players' transactions.

If secret police reports would reveal, say, the last 5 bank transactions, THAT would be useful, and cracking down on gold leeching would be much easier.

Prove it? But that's what judges are for! They provide proofs when needed!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: February 07, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »

Their Lord and fellow knights know exactly how much gold they get each tax.

The Military Advisor can help you determine within a pretty reasonable estimate how much their unit costs per week.

The Secret Police can tell you how much gold on hand.

Do the math.

(No, I mean, literally: take the numbers there, do the math, and see whether they could be sending large sums home.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: February 07, 2012, 05:41:57 PM »
You can also monitor their family gold.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: February 07, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »

Make the donation to the family public and we will. The problem is that usually it is either not known or not certain IC.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: February 07, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »
Their Lord and fellow knights know exactly how much gold they get each tax.

The Military Advisor can help you determine within a pretty reasonable estimate how much their unit costs per week.

The Secret Police can tell you how much gold on hand.

Do the math.

(No, I mean, literally: take the numbers there, do the math, and see whether they could be sending large sums home.)

Quite a lot of work which almost nobody actually spends. If the gold funneling is supposed to create conflicts it is failing at it.

Players' fault? Perhaps, but if the feature fails to take into account how much OoC effort they'll tend to make I'd be more inclined to blame the feature.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: February 07, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
Players' fault?
People are gun shy about it. They've been told several times that if nobles want to send gold to their family, it's no one's business but their own. This new stance on "just ban them" is a bit of a reversal of former policy.  ???
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #114: February 07, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »

Proof? Are you playing a modern CSI game or a medi-evil fantasy game? Who needs proof? The IC ban page says nothing about proof. If you think they do, kick them.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #115: February 07, 2012, 08:26:15 PM »
People are gun shy about it. They've been told several times that if nobles want to send gold to their family, it's no one's business but their own. This new stance on "just ban them" is a bit of a reversal of former policy.  ???

Uh, no?

The feature is there, you can't stop them and I won't add any features that make it harder, impossible or provide monitoring.

But I don't think I ever said it's a right or anything.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: February 07, 2012, 09:10:25 PM »
Uh, no?

The feature is there, you can't stop them and I won't add any features that make it harder, impossible or provide monitoring.

But I don't think I ever said it's a right or anything.

In the past, you have said that you strongly disapproved of it, and I believe even said that you were thinking about making it an IR.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: February 08, 2012, 06:29:45 AM »
In the past, you have said that you strongly disapproved of it, and I believe even said that you were thinking about making it an IR.

That was my impression as well.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: February 08, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »
I find it somewhat odd that all these accusations are being made by no characters from Madina.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: February 08, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »
Jeez, you're not the brightest spark, are you? They'd distracted themselves and forgot all about your realm's possible cheating. Now you've reminded them.