Author Topic: Balance of features and functionality  (Read 10225 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Balance of features and functionality
« Topic Start: March 15, 2011, 02:44:37 AM »
With some of the feature requests, most recently involving religion, infiltrators, and secret societies, it seems as though most of these come from experienced players who already know or mastered the basics, like getting an oath, setting estates, recruiting a unit, setting deployment stuff, getting paraphernalia, the different classes, etc.

But, how many make their suggestions with new players in mind? I am not saying that no one does this, but it is easy to forget how tough the learning curve can be in BM, myself included. It took me a full year before I actually figured out how to do much more than go to regions with my unit at certain settings, and this was in 2007 when we still had the old battle system, the old class system, no seasons, bankers could manage food movement, and in general, life was simpler. Now, if I were to imagine myself knowing nothing about BM, I would probably feel lost amidst all the info that needs to be absorbed to have success at any facet of this game.

While this is not necessarily a bad thing, when we make new suggestions, we could be mindful of what the goals of the proposed changes are. How would they add to the game, to all players? Would the added complexity or lowered complexity benefit or detract from the enjoyment of new and veteran players? This is all just speaking generally, but it is something that I think should be addressed and kept in mind. Many of us here have been playing for several years and we know what we want to see. Equally important as veteran players are potential new players who will become the future base of this game. As such, some things we might want to be simple enough so that newer players can enjoy it without needing to spend hours reading guides or asking mentors, but also deep enough to maintain interest.