Author Topic: Speculation on the goals of the invaders  (Read 11313 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Speculation on the goals of the invaders
« Topic Start: March 15, 2011, 04:31:20 AM »
Because I can't believe it took this long for us to start this thread.

Monsters: I think Epic's whole reason for going to BT was to have his name echo across the land, like some sort of legend among beasts. He might have wanted to make BT his glorious land, where his beats could roam free, and his warriors could be nutured and grown. He seems to me to resemble someone like Alexander the Great or Genghis Khan. His goals seemed to be most direct, and most..."heroic" and "noble", though unfortunately those being conquered happened to be humans. Their blight message suggests that there are many monsters swarming, possibly to swell Epic's ranks.

Daimons: With all the lies they spout it's hard to figure out what their goals were. Having had a peek at some of their elders' orders (These special messages to the NPC realms. I believe each faction had different ones.) I strongly suspect that they sought to destroy humans or at least get rid of their presence so that they could transform the land into one more suitable for them. Their blight message suggests as much, that they have transformed the landscape to resemble their alien netherworld.

Undead: Somehow these dudes' goals are hard to imagine. I think they might have something to do with remembrance. But what is to be remembered? I've not a real clue, but I can imagine stuff. The dead that comprise the Many may have indeed once been among the living men who fought alongside the One, who might be the same One referenced by the Light. Whatever had been the cost, whatever darkness shredded the souls of the living, the dead bodies may have retained some memories. And perhaps the dead who roamed in the 4th Inv sought some form of absolution, for those of the living who have a future to pay proper respect to the sacrifices of their ancestors, and to do as they had done. In my opinion, the Undead were the most complex of the factions to consider during the Invasion.

Light: Er...fight the darkness?

That brings up the next point. The Light referred to the three other NPC factions as the Darkness, implying that they are each aspects of the same overarching power. So here goes my wild mass guessing machine!

There is this power known as the Darkness by the Light. Who knows what it really is. That's not important, let's focus on the three NPC factions. The daimons might be the soldiers, or perhaps their elders are even the leaders of this alternate world filled with darkness. The Netherworld is never really explained, though Seer once described her mind as connecting with the void. The monsters were called the dogs of darkness by the Light, and I think that if we equate the Darkness with, say, Hell/Underworld/something similar for simplicity, then the monsters would have been descended or derived from the guard dogs of the Darkness or something. So that would make the daimons in fact somewhat close to the modern popular interpretation of western demons, or the denizens of this underworld. The undead that appeared in the 4th Inv may be the escaped damned souls that inhabited the empty bodies of corpses.

Ok, wild mass guessing off. Your thoughts?