Author Topic: Using Roleplay Knowledge  (Read 5485 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Using Roleplay Knowledge
« Topic Start: February 27, 2012, 01:36:22 AM »
If someone does a roleplay to the realm, can use you knowledge from there to do make decisions or is that considered meta gaming? I was in the region it was taking place but they were inside when they spoke in the roleplay. I was going to do something based on the conversation but don't want to be accused of meta gaming and its not something huge that I want to do, merely inquire something in a letter, so its not like I am declaring war or anything. If you would like more details about the situation just ask.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Using Roleplay Knowledge
« Reply #1: February 27, 2012, 01:57:06 AM »
It's not against to rules to consider it IC knowledge.

It could be considered poor form to do so, however. You should at least RP a reason for why your character would know. But as I said, this is not mandatory, because it's not against the rules to consider that your characters know everything you could read IG or on the wiki.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 27, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »
I believe the official ruling is "we can't prove that you did not get the information elsewhere, so it's not against the rules." Roleplays should be considered public information to everyone who received it. If you don't want many people to find out, send it to a narrower message channel.

So, be prepared to be accused of eavesdropping, which might carrying IC consequences. You won't get hit with an OOC ban or anything like that.

I'd say producing a copy of a roleplay message would still be gauche though. Act on the information, but be prepared with a reason/excuse on how you got it.
------
qui audet vincit

Chaotrance13

« Reply #3: February 27, 2012, 02:10:29 AM »
I believe the official ruling is "we can't prove that you did not get the information elsewhere, so it's not against the rules." Roleplays should be considered public information to everyone who received it. If you don't want many people to find out, send it to a narrower message channel.

So, be prepared to be accused of eavesdropping, which might carrying IC consequences. You won't get hit with an OOC ban or anything like that.

I'd say producing a copy of a roleplay message would still be gauche though. Act on the information, but be prepared with a reason/excuse on how you got it.

Indeed. When I sent an RP message of Ravier writing out the duel challenge to another noble, I naturally put what he wrote in the letter. I just chose to RP it as I felt it was a significant event for him. But then someone took it and put it on the Westmoor newspaper on the wiki. When challenged about how they got a copy of the letter I sent to the noble I was going to duel, they informed me that the other guy had forwarded it on to him. So there are going to be ways that people get hold of info you use in an RP in an IC fashion.

That said, it's a personal point for me that I don't act on the roleplays of others unless I have a good reason to do so. There's a guy who's doing a lot of RP in Astrum at the moment as an example - I wouldn't use any of the things happening in his RP messages unless I was, say, in the same region as him.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 27, 2012, 03:37:37 AM »
I've personally encountered this a lot as I RP a decent amount. Truthfully, if you're RP'ing you have to expect that others may misuse the information.

However, since you sent the RP, other players will know the information. If people were punished for acting on it, they could be punished unfairly if a player is intentionally not trying to act on it, but still could be accused as such. So, in general yes you can use the information, but it is considered bad form unless you have some backing for it.

Just be aware if you write out someone's private thoughts, you better have reason as to why you think they did something or you could easily be accused of all sorts of stuff IC. OOC, you're safe from being banned for meta-gaming.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 27, 2012, 05:45:29 AM »
Well honestly what I want to act on is that some mentioned me annoying them during the roleplay and I want to find out what I did wrong so the character does not continue to dislike mine. Could I just say "I heard rumors you dislike me and I wish for no realm mate to be angered by me." or something of the like?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 27, 2012, 05:49:28 AM »
Well honestly what I want to act on is that some mentioned me annoying them during the roleplay and I want to find out what I did wrong so the character does not continue to dislike mine. Could I just say "I heard rumors you dislike me and I wish for no realm mate to be angered by me." or something of the like?

Yes, that seems fine.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 27, 2012, 07:03:03 AM »
for me.. the only thing that would be considered poor sport is if you use someone's rp of thoughts... the other stuff could be overheard/seen, etc
firefox

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 27, 2012, 07:06:44 AM »
I also consider poor sportsmanship when some characters slander others just in thoughts. The slander is public to the players, but not to the characters.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 27, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »
I also consider poor sportsmanship when some characters slander others just in thoughts. The slander is public to the players, but not to the characters.
I dislike this as well. I have seen some back-and-forth with this. It inevitably leads to hard feelings, and angry players.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #10: February 27, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »
I dislike this as well. I have seen some back-and-forth with this. It inevitably leads to hard feelings, and angry players.

"I went to a seer, who told me that you were plotting against me."

Zakilevo

« Reply #11: February 28, 2012, 12:26:31 AM »
Just ask someone before you slender their characters. If they don't mind it, you can slender them without provoking players behind the characters.

egamma

« Reply #12: February 28, 2012, 01:50:56 AM »
I set up Gaston specifically to be made fun of, and instead he was given a region. Bah!

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 28, 2012, 02:00:04 AM »
Well this is off topic from what I started this for but is it uncommom or bad form to name the recruitment center funded by you after your family? On a different character then the one with the roleplay thing going I just funded a recruitment center that it to be built as soon as the lord gets to his region so I was wondering about requesting to have it named after my family so people know that I funded it and make me sound more prestigious.
― G.K. Chesterton

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 28, 2012, 02:05:59 AM »
Well this is off topic from what I started this for but is it uncommom or bad form to name the recruitment center funded by you after your family? On a different character then the one with the roleplay thing going I just funded a recruitment center that it to be built as soon as the lord gets to his region so I was wondering about requesting to have it named after my family so people know that I funded it and make me sound more prestigious.

That sounds like just the sort of vain egotistical thing that we should actively encourage.