Author Topic: The Crusade against SA  (Read 173517 times)

Zakilevo

Re: The Crusade against SA
« Reply #135: March 26, 2011, 10:03:09 PM »
I expected more of southern realms would join the war. But apparently Madina is having her own internal problem and realms like D'Hara and others are just not interested. Summerdale and LE will probably join Morek and attack Averoth and Caerwyn will be facing Astrum and Corsanctum. It is still interesting but a bit disappointing at the same time.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #136: March 26, 2011, 10:36:23 PM »
I can't wait for the Baal/Allison confrontation.   

Caerwyn has been out-maneuvered politically.  Now all we have to do is follow through and crush them militarily.   

When this is all over and SA colonizes Golden Farrow,  we will be the unquestioned masters of Dwilight.

* Artemesia shakes his head.

Such impertinence is unsightly.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #137: March 26, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »
It takes a lot to destroy a realm, especially one the size of Caerwyn. I'd take a guess that this war won't be over for at least 6+ months. Golden Farrow is going to be very hard to TO as the city can support over 20k militia and it has level 5 walls.

Don't get too arrogant, Astrum, it has been the downfall of many realms.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #138: March 26, 2011, 11:06:12 PM »
Don't get too arrogant, Astrum, it has been the downfall of many realms.

That's not Astrum, that's Allison:codename arrogance. That's just how she is build  :D

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: March 27, 2011, 12:50:42 AM »
Caerwyn will be a very tough nut to crack, of that I have no doubt.   I try to be optimistic.  The next months will be bloody...
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #140: March 27, 2011, 01:45:43 AM »
Long nasty war indeed.  Should be fun to watch.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141: March 27, 2011, 01:52:35 AM »
This will not be a short war, that's for sure. I think astrum and caerwyn would be a good match. Astrum has an immensely better defensive setup though. But with attackers north and south, that's hard to defend. But then Astrum has allies that can actually send troops. A good match, I think.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: March 27, 2011, 07:01:29 AM »
Don't worry Astrum, when Asylons fifth column  of 2 Astroists awaken we will attack Caerwyn from behind and take some of the pressure off your push. I am joking by the way... I wish I wasn't.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #143: March 27, 2011, 07:13:03 AM »
5th Column     ;D     V is a good show.  I should find them and catch up.   I only watched the first season
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #144: March 27, 2011, 07:15:59 AM »
5th Column     ;D     V is a good show.  I should find them and catch up.   I only watched the first season

Sadly I don't get the new V out here and I haven't downloaded it  :(

I was referencing the 5th column of WWII when the Americans worried the Japanese Americans inside America would rise up.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: March 28, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
Something I noticed recently is that Astrum keeps the powerful positions in a small sect of nobles. Ysgarren who once was the Vasilif is now a Duke, their Judge is also Duke of Gelene after Rowan used to be. Brance, the new ruler, is Duke of that city on the island. Their General is Duke of Chrysantalys.. hmm maybe I can build on this and get something going  8)
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #146: March 28, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
One of the perks of a theocracy is that a ruler can appoint themselves as duke. This has happened a couple times, with both Rowan and Ysgarren. I *think* Alexandria had planned to appoint herself somewhere, too.

Other than that, all of our government positions are elected. You can't blame the people in power for continuing to get elected to their offices. It's the entire nobility of the realm that elect the council. If they want to keep electing the same group of people, then they will. For example, Brance got wounded in the same battle that killed Rowan, the former ruler. Two people announced they were running before Brance recovered. As soon as Brance recovered and announced his candidacy, one of the other candidates immediately withdrew. Brance won in a landslide, with less than 24 hours for the realm to set their votes to him. Is it Brance's fault that the realm wanted him to win?

As for Gelene, that was a bit of a "Hurry up and appoint NOW!" situation. After Duke/Vasilif Rowan was killed, a rogue SA priest drove the only knight of the region out of his estate and it started to go down hill fast. I needed a duke NOW to get the region back under control. It just so happened that Melania and I were the only ones around. Poof, instant duchess. Not that I think Melania is a bad choice. She's actually a good choice. I just didn't have time to do a realm-wide search, then wait for the candidate to travel to Gelene, while trying to fight a war. So I had a noble whop was suitable, close, and willing.

And, really, this kind of thing is not all that unusual. The people that tend to stick around and make themselves noticed are those that tend to get elected and appointed. And as I have mentioned before, those that are willing to step forward and take up the positions are those that will get them. Melania volunteered herself, so I accepted. I did have one other volunteer, but it wasn't until after I had already accepted Melania's offer.

IMO, I think this is really one of the keys to getting duchies, and positions in general: Knowing when to put your name forward. You have to actually put yourself in the spotlight and make your name known. It's all about name recognition. It is very rare for a quiet, unknown noble to get a lordship, let along a duchy or council position. If it comes open, volunteer. If an election comes up, run for office and make your speech. Take part in realm-wide debates. Become a marshal. Try to get on realm councils.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #147: March 28, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »
I'm not trying to belittle your choice of power. I'm just saying that some of your nobility may view it has overpowerful and could be manipulated that way.. why am I telling you this..  ??? whatever, it's all in good spirit.

I have yet to become a Duke after 2.5 years of playing this game but I'm sure there are plenty of others who have been playing longer and haven't had the chance yet, either. I'm close to Dukeship with two of my characters: Clarence Harte of Ibladesh (Priest, Marshal, and Marquess) and Hyperion (Judge, Marshal). It's more likely I will become Duke with Clarence before Hyperion as Dukeships in Ibladesh are based off of dedication to the Church and are appointed by the ruler versus Hyperion who would have to be voted in by the nobility. Of course, that wouldn't be too hard as he has been able to secure Judgeship at an early age and held it after a few opponents stepped up.

Anyways, I'm guessing that the Gaston-succession will wait until the war is over before hoping to expand to Darfix?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #148: March 28, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
I have yet to become a Duke after 2.5 years of playing this game but I'm sure there are plenty of others who have been playing longer and haven't had the chance yet, either.

It took me almost exactly two years to get my first duchy. They are hard to come by, no doubt. But that's also why they are so highly valued. Any old noble can eventually get elected as a ruler somewhere. But you've got to actual be someone to get a duchy. :) Or really lucky.

Anyways, I'm guessing that the Gaston-succession will wait until the war is over before hoping to expand to Darfix?

You'll have to wait and see.  :-X
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:05:02 PM by Indirik »

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #149: March 28, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »
It took me almost exactly two years to get my first duchy. They are hard to come by, no doubt. But that's also why they are so highly valued. Any old noble can eventually get elected as a ruler somewhere. But you've got to actual be someone to get a duchy. :) Or really lucky.

You'll have to wait and see.  :-X

That's not exactly true. All you have to do is such up to the Ice Queen in Pian en Luries and you could easily get a Dukeship. It worked for SOOOO many people its uncanny. Then again, it is perhaps one of the worst places to be Duke due to the Ruler of the realm. That at least seems to be over for now though.