Author Topic: Too Much Peace replaced by... Too Much War?  (Read 5484 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Too Much Peace replaced by... Too Much War?
« Topic Start: March 03, 2012, 06:24:34 AM »
The locals question the war against Fwuvoghor.

Is this BT-specific for the invasion? 'Cause if not, then from a gameplay prespective, I really don't see why we have this. Most realms seem to have trouble getting wars, it doesn't feel to me like they should be punished for such endeavors.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Too Much Peace replaced by... Too Much War?
« Reply #1: March 03, 2012, 08:00:33 AM »
would be based on sympathy stat won't it... ?
firefox

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 03, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »
Yeah it seems to be based on sympathy and causes messages when there is a mismatch between sympathy towards a realm and your diplomacy. So on Dwilight, Solaria gets messages like this one:
The local population strongly objects to the war on Pian en Luries.

In Fronen we get messages like these:
The locals do not understand how you can be allied with Melhed.
There are loud protests against your alliance with Thalmarkin.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 03, 2012, 10:16:41 AM »
Silly peasants :)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 03, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
Yea, I get that it's based on sympathy, which is why I go as an ambassador to fix this. And I get how unwanted alliances can be good in a way (though I don't quite like the idea of peasants determining our diplomacy), but them disliking a war?

That's just completely counter-productive to our efforts to increase the number of wars. Such messages, regardless of how marginal the impacts may be, have a psychological effect on the players which really dissuades war.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 03, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »
does that region like riombara btw? could be an issue if it hates rio but likes the new realm seceded from it?
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 03, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »
Fwuvoghor seceded?

LOL! My departure was useful then, I suppose.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 03, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
For a few Nobles it was, yes :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 03, 2012, 05:25:22 PM »
does that region like riombara btw? could be an issue if it hates rio but likes the new realm seceded from it?

No,just Fwuvoghor. I haven't noticed any protests about war against Rio, as I did make sure to lower sympathy a while ago.

I'm not quite sure where they got this sympathy from.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 03, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
perhaps instead of using parent realm's sympathy it goes to neutral or something default like (which should probably not be high..)? unless there's a lot of alluran followers and for some reason.. realm formed by prophet is liked by all followers?
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 03, 2012, 10:58:18 PM »
perhaps instead of using parent realm's sympathy it goes to neutral or something default like (which should probably not be high..)? unless there's a lot of alluran followers and for some reason.. realm formed by prophet is liked by all followers?

I don't know what it uses, but it doesn't appear to be consistent for all regions.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 04, 2012, 04:50:20 AM »
It would make sense for colonies to have sympathies in line with the parent realm, but I think all new realms get new neutral sympathies at the moment.

Though, it would be bad ass if the religion were to influence it.  I would assume you would need yo implement state religions for that, though.  As cool as that sounds to me though, I THINK that's an already proposed and rejected idea.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 04, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »
It would make sense for colonies to have sympathies in line with the parent realm, but I think all new realms get new neutral sympathies at the moment.

Though, it would be bad ass if the religion were to influence it.  I would assume you would need yo implement state religions for that, though.  As cool as that sounds to me though, I THINK that's an already proposed and rejected idea.

I agree it would be cool, but I cannot imagine how hellish it would be to code.

As for how the current system works, I have no idea. It neither seems to default the same in every region nor use the parent realm's. Random, maybe?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 04, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »
It wouldn't be that hard. Tim and I actually worked something out once that would adjust sympathies of regions to other realms, based on the predominant religion present each region, and the official views toward that religion. This was back when Westmoor and Ibladesh were federated, while the predominant religion in each realm considered the other religion to be evil. So, if Westmoor's regions followed CoH, and Ibladesh's followed CoI, then Westmoor's peasants should have an overall negative attitude toward Ibladesh, and resist being allied/federated to them. Given the information that is already available to the game, it's not hard to do. Tim whipped up a script to show it all in table form. From there it's just a matter of determining the magnitude of the effect desire.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 04, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »
It would be great because it would make priests/religion more powerful if they are involved in diplomacy.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton