Author Topic: Ability to change screen color?  (Read 6143 times)

emperor_wu

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Ability to change screen color?
« Topic Start: March 05, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »
I enjoy this game a lot!

However, I find that I can't play it for more than about 10 minutes at a time because it makes my eyes crazy.  The white text on black background causes me to see horizontal lines in everything I see for the next 15 minutes.

Is there a way to change the screen colors you see within the game (or even the forums, since they seem to have a similar color scheme)?  I don't want to change it for everyone, but I'd love it if there were a personal preference that would all me to choose -- for example -- black text on a white background for the default view of BM.

I like the idea of having a personal option choose distinct color themes, or to select your desired colors directly.

Many thanks for the fine game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Ability to change screen color?
« Reply #1: March 05, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »
We won't be adding any kind of theming within the forseable future.

However, with a little bit of skill and the right browser, you can easily override CSS settings for individual websites, and that would solve the problem for you. Someone more current on this than I am? Point this guy to the right direction, please.

egamma

« Reply #2: March 05, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »
your browsers accessibility options should override the color scheme. What browser are you using?

emperor_wu

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 05, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
Long answer:
My default browser these days is SRware Iron (it's a variant of Chrome that doesn't pass all my browsing data to Google but still supports all the Chrome extensions), but I also use Chrome, Firefox, Safari on my MBP, and for work I'll even dabble in IE to make use of some custom ActiveX controls.  On my G5 Mac I use TenFourfox, a variant of recent Firefox compiled for the PowerPC architecture Macs.  I also have Opera installed, but I tend not to use it much.

Short answer:
I'll use any browser for BM that will allow the easiest altering of the default color scheme.  Which one do you suggest?

emperor_wu

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 05, 2012, 06:58:17 PM »
It looks like FF might be a good candidate, following the instructions here:
http://coreygilmore.com/blog/2008/10/23/per-site-custom-css-in-firefox/

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #5: March 05, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
Strange, really, as white on a black background has long been considered better for your eyes (less strain) than black on white.

egamma

« Reply #6: March 05, 2012, 11:00:51 PM »
he may have a really-old passive-matrix LCD or something. or colorblindness, etc.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #7: March 05, 2012, 11:30:10 PM »
Colorblindness doesn't really have anything to do with black/white white/black.  I'm colorblind myself. :P

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 05, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »
Strange, really, as white on a black background has long been considered better for your eyes (less strain) than black on white.

Usability guidelines would disagree with you there

http://blog.tatham.oddie.com.au/2008/10/13/why-light-text-on-dark-background-is-a-bad-idea/

http://www.documentmedia.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications::Article&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=EAD344D280E740889336FB380D95BCA0&AudID=50CF2A8E10944CCE921423858B0C8816

That said, people with dyslexia may struggle with anything on a white background, which is why some of them wear those funky tinted glasses.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:42:09 PM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #9: March 06, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »
Colorblindness doesn't really have anything to do with black/white white/black.  I'm colorblind myself. :P

There are different types of colorblindness...

egamma

« Reply #10: March 06, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »
There are different types of colorblindness...

True, but white/black isn't one of them. Red-green is most common, but there are others.

Also, it's interesting to note that men and women have different ratios of rods and cones in their eyes, that give women the advantage of seeing more subtle differences in colors, and give men a small advantage in low-light conditions. Of course, each individual human has a range as well, so some men see colors better than some women, etc.

Hue test:
http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 06, 2012, 02:24:15 PM »
True, but white/black isn't one of them. Red-green is most common, but there are others.

Still, different types of colorblindness will lead to different side effects.

For example, people who are completely color-blind cannot use their cones at all and only use their rods, which give them black and white vision. However it also mean that they use their rods during the day and expose them to large amounts of light, which "burns" them (this is a metaphor, I don't know the actual mechanism). At night, the low level of light is not enough for the rods, while it is enough for those people who preserve their rods by using their cones during the day.

As a friend of mine used to say, "During the day I'm color-blind. At night, I'm just blind."
After all it's a roleplaying game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 06, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
Also, it's interesting to note that men and women have different ratios of rods and cones in their eyes, that give women the advantage of seeing more subtle differences in colors, and give men a small advantage in low-light conditions. Of course, each individual human has a range as well, so some men see colors better than some women, etc.

Oh, and did you know that some people (mostly women) can see 4 colors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy#Possibility_of_human_tetrachromats

This has been your useless fact of the day.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 06, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »
That was an interesting little test. I got a 14. :D
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 07, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »
That was an interesting little test. I got a 14. :D

Damn, got a 20.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).