Author Topic: Dwilight Travel Times  (Read 16625 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Travel Times
« Reply #15: March 11, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »
So if the D'Haran traders aren't complaining about travel times, then anyone who is complaining is a war monger looking for an easier long distance war?

Just because people who complain about something aren't within your small sphere of awareness doesn't make their opinions invalid.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 12, 2012, 01:34:01 AM »
Navies would be interesting, but it would add a completly new aspect to this game that would likely be too much.
Being able to pay for faster ships would be nice though. 

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 12, 2012, 02:07:51 AM »
I too like the idea of paying for a faster ship.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 12, 2012, 03:31:54 AM »
You already pay for the fastest ships available. But if you really want to travel faster then become a priest and there is a random chance the Gods may make you travel /any/ distance in 16 hours.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 12, 2012, 04:03:47 AM »
Becoming a priest to get faster travel time shouldnt be done considering thats not a roleplay reason. If our character is perhaps dedicated to helping his realm by being a courtier, its not making sense to just say he hopes to be blessed by the gods in travel and will be a priest instead.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 12, 2012, 08:17:16 AM »
I don't think he was being serious.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 12, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »
I was certainly not. :P
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 12, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »
^rofl :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 12, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »
So if the D'Haran traders aren't complaining about travel times, then anyone who is complaining is a war monger looking for an easier long distance war?

Just because people who complain about something aren't within your small sphere of awareness doesn't make their opinions invalid.

Did the Caerwynians complain that travel was too long? Did the Springdalians? Did the Lurians? Did the Madinians?

Because the only serious echoes I get is from the SA bloc, which leaves me really no other reaction than "suck it up or seek war next door as everyone else does".

I've heard some others lament about how the length was making it hard for them (Fissoans), but not actually request that it be changed.

What's so bad about dwilight travel times, anyways? Travel through the sea routes? The rogue lands? How long are the travels between civilized regions? My experience says that's just the same as everywhere else. And the mass of civilized lands on Dwi is already larger than some other continents. If the SA bloc is starting to get bored, then all it has to do is turn on itself, there already each have a ton of neighbors they could turn against. And some of their governments have dubious respect of faith teachings, as well, with non-believers in government or ex(?)-heretics in rulership.

If the SA bloc could manage crusades against Thulsoma and Caerwyn, then they can all manage wars with any current existing SA realm. Asking for travel changes now that you completely eliminated all nearby non-SA realm (your own damn fault) is just another way of asking for easy mode, of asking for the game to be tailored for your own individual whims so that you don't have to bother even trying to make things interesting for yourselves as every other realms in the game does.

You've all gotten together to gank and completely eliminate all nearby opposition, completely eliminating all possibilities of recurring conflict with these actors. Now don't come to whine that your next targets are just too far away. The absence of non-SA realms closer to home is of your own doing, and the absence of war between SA realms is also of your own doing.

Asking for reduced travel times is just a hidden request for special privileges, now that it would advantage yourselves more than anyone else.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 12, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
What's so bad about dwilight travel times, anyways?
Don't ask me. Go ask the people who are complaining. The people who say stuff like "I don't play on Dwilight, the travel times suck." As I said earlier in this thread: "I don't think they need changed. It is supposed to be hard to travel long distances, especially on crappy roads."

But seriously, you need to get out of this mindset that everything that everyone says is some veiled personal assault on you and everything in BattleMaster that you hold dear. You are way too paranoid.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #25: March 12, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
I do think that the sea-route travel times could maybe use some adjusting. Fissoa-Madina, with no unit, is 16.8 miles per hour. Could it maybe be bumped to 20mph?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 12, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
I do think that the sea-route travel times could maybe use some adjusting. Fissoa-Madina, with no unit, is 16.8 miles per hour. Could it maybe be bumped to 20mph?

That's already fast for a boat. Caravels (already late middle ages boats) didn't go much faster than 10 mi/hr (ref: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_fast_in_knots_did_a_caravel_ship_go).

20 mi/hr is something you get with a small motorboat. Barring storm conditions, I doubt you can get that with a large sail-powered boat. Small catamaran-types boats probably achieve that in good condition, but they are used for sport, not transportation.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 12, 2012, 11:08:05 PM »
Did the Caerwynians complain that travel was too long? Did the Springdalians? Did the Lurians? Did the Madinians?

Because the only serious echoes I get is from the SA bloc, which leaves me really no other reaction than "suck it up or seek war next door as everyone else does".

I've heard some others lament about how the length was making it hard for them (Fissoans), but not actually request that it be changed.

What's so bad about dwilight travel times, anyways? Travel through the sea routes? The rogue lands? How long are the travels between civilized regions? My experience says that's just the same as everywhere else. And the mass of civilized lands on Dwi is already larger than some other continents. If the SA bloc is starting to get bored, then all it has to do is turn on itself, there already each have a ton of neighbors they could turn against. And some of their governments have dubious respect of faith teachings, as well, with non-believers in government or ex(?)-heretics in rulership.

If the SA bloc could manage crusades against Thulsoma and Caerwyn, then they can all manage wars with any current existing SA realm. Asking for travel changes now that you completely eliminated all nearby non-SA realm (your own damn fault) is just another way of asking for easy mode, of asking for the game to be tailored for your own individual whims so that you don't have to bother even trying to make things interesting for yourselves as every other realms in the game does.

You've all gotten together to gank and completely eliminate all nearby opposition, completely eliminating all possibilities of recurring conflict with these actors. Now don't come to whine that your next targets are just too far away. The absence of non-SA realms closer to home is of your own doing, and the absence of war between SA realms is also of your own doing.

Asking for reduced travel times is just a hidden request for special privileges, now that it would advantage yourselves more than anyone else.

Actually, within Solaria we have complained about travel times a lot. It was just in character grumbling about co-ordination and travel times but still. After all half the reason we keep fighting each other is its just too much hassle to march anywhere to fight non-lurians.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 12, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »
Actually, within Solaria we have complained about travel times a lot. It was just in character grumbling about co-ordination and travel times but still. After all half the reason we keep fighting each other is its just too much hassle to march anywhere to fight non-lurians.

The lands Solaria has weren't taken for all that long, were they?

Besides, the Lurias are a pretty good example that one does not need to travel very far to spice things up. The Lurias are already closer to Morek, D'Hara, and Fissoa than many SA realms were during the crusades. Distance might dissuade, but it doesn't prevent. But it doesn't matter all that much because the Lurias can make things happen internally without having to ask for favors to extend their monolithic gameplay.

But seriously, you need to get out of this mindset that everything that everyone says is some veiled personal assault on you and everything in BattleMaster that you hold dear. You are way too paranoid.

I liked D'Hara, when I joined it, because of its isolation potential. Take the recent delay arrival option and add to that reduced travel times, and we are suddenly a whole lot more accessible to bored warmongers that lack the originality or will to do anything more exciting than just try to find the next unbeliever to bash. That some want to do that is fine, I wouldn't be on Dwi at all if I thought otherwise, but that some of these people feel entitled to have this made easier for them, that gets to me. It is, in my eyes, nothing short of a request for unfair preferential treatment, masked by a generic request of generalizable changes.

If anything, I think the travel times should be increased, especially when outside of your own realm, with perhaps the ability to directly invest in better roads.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 13, 2012, 12:34:13 AM »
But it doesn't matter all that much because the Lurias can make things happen internally without having to ask for favors to extend their monolithic gameplay.

What do you mean by that?

I liked D'Hara, when I joined it, because of its isolation potential. Take the recent delay arrival option and add to that reduced travel times, and we are suddenly a whole lot more accessible to bored warmongers that lack the originality or will to do anything more exciting than just try to find the next unbeliever to bash.

Really? I always considered D'Hara to be the least isolated realm in the continent. It is probably the one who borders more realms, and it is in the middle of everything, connecting everyone.