Poll

What do you think of the use of spying, spy characters, and other such things?

Spying is always bad.
Spying is only bad if it is done via OOC channels. (i.e. getting a friend to join the game so he can spy for you, or passing messages via OOG methods, etc.)
Spying is only bad if people specifically create a character to spy on a realm, or move a second character to that realm to spy on them.
Spying is fine, if existing characters have good IC reasons for it.
All is fair in love and war!

Author Topic: Spying: Good or bad for the game?  (Read 17984 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Spying: Good or bad for the game?
« Reply #30: April 12, 2011, 12:50:21 AM »
My opinion

In characters situations that cause someone to get angry against the realm they serve under and thus become a spy (aka - no prior OOC collaboration done and its someone you dont know OOC whatsoever) is fine

Spying and trying to RP it ingame as validation is using IC reasons as an excuse for planned OOC spying.  Obviously top circumstances are rare.

I currently have 2 created by their own realm who messaged me out of the blue.

I actually had a good friend IRL of mine in DoA and he decided to get his character deported once it got entangled in war with Caligus to prevent OOC knowledge of the place.

Simply those who want the OOC spying to be ok if it is reasoned IC is the main problem.  Its impossible to track first of all and its something that will likely always be in battlemaster and a problem because it is a small community and pretty much everyone knows each other so in its own place is it very hard to have IC situations where spies are not OOC created.

There are other IC ways to establish spies. For example IG I run a spy network. I constantly recruit nobles into that spy network IG. On occasion I have too many spies in one realm, and none in another. Are you saying its OOC to ask one of my agents to move to another realm and try establish himself high enough in the hierarchy to get info worth selling?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.