Author Topic: BM needs a population boost  (Read 8917 times)

Zakilevo

Re: BM needs a population boost
« Reply #15: March 30, 2012, 11:22:40 PM »
I think a lot of it is aging players--not old players, just growing up.
I've had 2 children since I started playing, for example. People who were hyperactive teen players are now 27-30, and simply don't have time to play. And the look and setting of the game isn't very appealing.

That said, I love the game--but I find it hard to wow other people with it.

BM doesn't really have a 'WOW' factor. :( You have to play a couple months to truly enjoy the game - or even longer. Obviously can't impress others with the current visual designs.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 30, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »
BM doesn't really have a 'WOW' factor. :( You have to play a couple months to truly enjoy the game - or even longer. Obviously can't impress others with the current visual designs.

To be fair, that's true for most browser based, text heavy games.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 30, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »
That's why Brance has been so quiet lately. Second kid just born, first kid still young, work, keeping things going around the house... makes it hard not to just resign from some positions and let others take over. :(

Feels like everyone's going through the same thing, though.

I just graduated from university, got a job. Much less time and will than before.

And I wouldn't mind stepping down from high titles to let others run the show... as long as they'd do as I would have done back in the days. The incentives to step aside a bit to let someone else lead are small when the reason you want to do so is your lowered activity and it turns out that those who would replace you are, at most, as active as you are right now.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 31, 2012, 04:10:54 AM »

Yeah, the true beauty of Battlemaster is not apparent until you've really gotten into the game.

But the big thing is, once you have done that and experience why BM is so awesome, you're hooked for a very, very long time. I mean, I would venture to say most free, browser based games (hell, even huge multi-million dollar titles) don't have people playing the game, almost every single day for 3, 5, 8, even 10 years.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 31, 2012, 07:08:15 AM »
I've had 2 children since I started playing, for example. People who were hyperactive teen players are now 27-30, and simply don't have time to play.

In my case, a hopefully temporary problem, and I anticipate returning to the game...But likely nowhere near the time I put into it in college, where I literally (I kept track, because that's the kind of guy I am) spent more time on this game than I did in class (and that's discounting the time I spent on Battlemaster in class, heh).

And yeah, I know a lot of people have the same issue.  Big problem I kept running into is that I didn't have convenient assistants.  Once you get into the continental-politics level of playing, it's hard to keep up with everything, and even if you have people willing to be assistants, you'd have to send them everything, wait for them to log on and read and send stuff back...Wonder if various deputy ministers might help the burnout people get...
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

anoobowner

• Knight
  • Vorash Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 31, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »
I think one issue that BattleMaster might have with keeping new players/etc. is the way it looks visually.

I know this is mostly a text-based game, but the web design in many ways looks ancient and unappealing. For players who give the game a chance, I think it stops becoming a problem. For new players though, BattleMaster doesn't look nearly as fun as it really is.

A sleeker, designed look to the home page and the principle menus could help.

I can't think of the number of times I tried to show a like-minded friend the game and their first thought was 'clunky wall of text--pass'.

I don't think BM is that at all, but it looks like it to people who don't know better.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:04:51 PM by anoobowner »
VORASH FAMILY: Protheon--Riombara | Prospero--Morek | Pamela--Caergoth

"The thing with computer-generated imagery is that it's an incredibly powerful tool for making better visual effects. But I believe in an absolute difference between animation and photography." - Christopher Nolan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #21: March 31, 2012, 07:08:31 PM »
I think one issue that BattleMaster might have with keeping new players/etc. is the way it looks visually.

Totally. Get me a web-designer and I will be happy to work with him to improve it tons. The code is now mostly clean HTML with CSS, so it can be done. But it still needs someone doing it.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 31, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »
If you do find a web designer, don't forget about the mobile version of the site, too. I, and likely others, use the mobile version for probably 90% of my BM playing.

anoobowner

• Knight
  • Vorash Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 31, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »
Actually, I am student in an art school. Among the majors is graphic design, and a major component of that is web design.

Do you actually want me to put up an advertisement through the residence office life? I am sure somebody would be willing to do the work for free.

"The thing with computer-generated imagery is that it's an incredibly powerful tool for making better visual effects. But I believe in an absolute difference between animation and photography." - Christopher Nolan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: March 31, 2012, 08:12:05 PM »
For free, for goodies, a free ebook and a part of his or her portfolio - sure. Though I would want someone who doesn't do this for the first time. It shouldn't end up taking more time than doing it myself (and I can do it myself, if I put my mind to it, but I'm slow with stuff like finding a colour scheme, etc.).

anoobowner

• Knight
  • Vorash Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 31, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »
Though I would want someone who doesn't do this for the first time. It shouldn't end up taking more time than doing it myself.

I certainly agree, no freshman should be doing this. I am going to put up ads around campus to see if there are any experienced designers who want the work. Is there any specific information you want me to say about the qualifications of the designer and the work expectations you have for them, and do you want me to screen people who answer the ads before referring them to you? Or, do you want me to refer them to you directly?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #26: April 01, 2012, 01:11:23 AM »
You know the people, so whatever you think is best.

As far as qualifications go, having worked on facelifting an existing project would be a definite plus. And I'd prefer someone who works with CSS as much as possible instead of images. I'm trying to keep BM low on images.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 01, 2012, 07:56:41 AM »

Heh, I remember back when I started playing I was thirteen, where every new thing in BM would excite me. Exactly five years ago.. I still remember my first moves on BM. Still searching for that old excitement now I guess.  :'(
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 01, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »
Started playing BM at 11. Only one character is really doing anything these days.