Author Topic: If this is a joke...  (Read 30501 times)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: If this is a joke...
« Reply #45: April 01, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
I, for one, welcome our new Daimonic Overlords. All hail the Netherworld! ;D

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: April 01, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
It is in the nature of all but the most shallow of jokes that some people enjoy them and some don't. Especially in this day and age, you probably can't make a joke without offending someone. People have not only lost the ability to laugh about themselves, more importantly they've lost the ability to laugh about others without feeling guilty.

!@#$ political correctness.

What does this have to do with political correctness? I'm annoyed because it screws with our roleplay.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #47: April 01, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »
I would actually really like this to stay. It's going to cause interesting situations for a lot of people - like on EC, do Fontan and Westmoor put things aside to deal with the Daimons? Or will they continue fighting while the daimons ravage both their lands?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: April 01, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »
What does this have to do with political correctness? I'm annoyed because it screws with our roleplay.

If your roleplay is so fragile that an unexpected event screws with it, then it must not have been a very flexible roleplay.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: April 01, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
I think the best way to play it off would be to make the invasion itself real but the mass numbers of CS like in that screencap a hoax the daimons perpetrated to try and appear as if they had unlimited forces in an attempt to get everyone to surrender immediately.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: April 01, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
If your roleplay is so fragile that an unexpected event screws with it, then it must not have been a very flexible roleplay.

Fragile? God I hate when people just throw around rhetoric on internet forums for no reason.

It's this simple. The prank was in character. We responded to it in character. When it all goes "poof" we'll have to have an in character explanation for why that happened and in SMA worlds that's going to be a very thin and crummy explanation.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: April 01, 2012, 05:55:23 PM »
I'm really enjoying this  :D  My AT character is living it up (Magna Serpaesism dissolves -> netherworld invades Atamara!!! -> omfs#hgv@* THE SQUID IS LOOSE This is of course CE's fault...)

This is actually beautiful.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: April 01, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
Fragile? God I hate when people just throw around rhetoric on internet forums for no reason.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Usually when people say "it screws with our roleplay", they mean that they have had some kind of roleplay thread going on, and the event in question disrupts it in some manner. (And yes, this has happened several times, from different people.)

It's this simple. The prank was in character. We responded to it in character. When it all goes "poof" we'll have to have an in character explanation for why that happened and in SMA worlds that's going to be a very thin and crummy explanation.

a) How do you know it's going to go "poof"?
b) If it does go "poof", how do you know it's not going to provide you an IC explanation?
c) If it does not, and you came up with IC explanations for its appearance, can you not also come up with IC explanations for its disappearance?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: April 01, 2012, 06:08:06 PM »

a) How do you know it's going to go "poof"?
b) If it does go "poof", how do you know it's not going to provide you an IC explanation?
c) If it does not, and you came up with IC explanations for its appearance, can you not also come up with IC explanations for its disappearance?

a) Because Tom as much as acknowledged that it's a joke a few posts back. It's a pretty strong implication.
b) I'd be interested to know what explanation they can provide that wont be a crummy one. In some game worlds they could simply say "It turns out the daimon invasion was nothing more then the result of hallucinogenic mushrooms being accidentally mixed into the realm's wine supply". But in SMA worlds that's just stupid. The only good explanation would be if the invasion was in some way real, like if Daimons really did open portals to the other continents and that at some point they may actually try to invade them but at this time they didn't really have the resources and were just doing it for show to try and get a quick surrender.
c) basically the same problem as b

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: April 01, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »
a) Because Tom as much as acknowledged that it's a joke a few posts back. It's a pretty strong implication.
b) I'd be interested to know what explanation they can provide that wont be a crummy one. In some game worlds they could simply say "It turns out the daimon invasion was nothing more then the result of hallucinogenic mushrooms being accidentally mixed into the realm's wine supply". But in SMA worlds that's just stupid. The only good explanation would be if the invasion was in some way real, like if Daimons really did open portals to the other continents and that at some point they may actually try to invade them but at this time they didn't really have the resources and were just doing it for show to try and get a quick surrender.
c) basically the same problem as b

Because you (or Tom) couldn't possibly say that the Daimons managed to open swirling hell-portals in all the other dimensions, but then some brave and unnamed soul managed to sacrifice himself in some unspecified manner to close them?
Timothy Collett

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: April 01, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »
Because you (or Tom) couldn't possibly say that the Daimons managed to open swirling hell-portals in all the other dimensions, but then some brave and unnamed soul managed to sacrifice himself in some unspecified manner to close them?

That could work too, but that would mean the invasion was somewhat real in character. That daimons invading other continents (all BM game worlds are in the same dimension) is a genuine possibility.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: April 01, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »
... just because it's a joke ooc doesn't make it a joke ic.
firefox

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: April 01, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
I remember when as a joke there was introduced this wacky new character class.

The Courtier.

Sometimes jokes can turn into VERY SRS BZNS.

From an IC perspective my character doesn't know about April Fool's Day, so I'm just going with it. Daimon invasion? Aha, just as according to the Prophecy! Repent, sinners, for the end is at hand! ;)
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: April 01, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »
That could work too, but that would mean the invasion was somewhat real in character. That daimons invading other continents (all BM game worlds are in the same dimension) is a genuine possibility.

I think you've not been paying very close attention to the BT invasion, if you aren't already expecting that.
Timothy Collett

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: April 01, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »
I think you've not been paying very close attention to the BT invasion, if you aren't already expecting that.

I actually have been paying attention. When I started this post I mentioned that the daimons threatened to invade the other continents months ago.

They also claimed they wouldn't do so until they'd destroyed Beluterra, which suggests they're not ready to launch all out assaults on the other continents yet.