Author Topic: How NOT to declare war  (Read 25781 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: How NOT to declare war
« Reply #45: April 19, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »
Back in MY days we were given an income of 1 gold a week! One!

Yeah! And then that got wealth taxed away too! :P
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: April 19, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
Back in MY days we were given an income of 1 gold a week! One! And my region had a population of 1 peasant even though it had two knights, I was taxing the work from his left arm, while my liege was taxing the work from the right arm! And sometimes you'd skip a week of income, and you'd just have to live through it, and you'd be expected to drive away 1000 CS monster units every. single. day! SO GET OFF MY LAWN!

(True story by the way. Man, Dwilight has gotten so easy.)

No kidding. All these new folks don't know how hard we worked, carving out civilization from the wilderness! Bunch a damn hippies if you ask me!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: April 19, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »
I didn't even get tax gold... I just looted wild regions for gold.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: April 19, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
and looted by thousands... those wild regions had a bunch of gold stored way back. i remember sending looting parties to get some gold with which we've built a /ton/ of things. it is little known that realms like astrum and probably morek were built by pillaging and thievery.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: April 19, 2012, 10:38:25 PM »
Not true. Astrum never engaged in any organized looting parties, unlike realms such as Caerwyn. And didn't Terran actually formalize rogue region looting with laws regulating the goverment's share?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: April 19, 2012, 10:40:10 PM »
it did. i personally looted mimer peninsula. i think that counts.

but yes, caerwyn was infamous for that. they had a neat system going on.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: April 19, 2012, 10:41:05 PM »
No wonder we pawned you off on Niselur.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: April 19, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
/After/ you built your walls with that gold. :P don't worry, all great empires were built on low methods and barbarism :)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: April 19, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »
And didn't Terran actually formalize rogue region looting with laws regulating the goverment's share?

Not exactly; it wasn't formal, but we did loot the rogue lands quite prodigiously.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: April 19, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
Must have been Caerwyn that had those laws. A looting army, and laws about where you could go , and how much you had to give the realm.

I don't remember much looting in Astrum. We intentionally did not loot Mimer, as we intended to take it. And Everguard and Viridian were west of us. So, while we may not have looted because of lack of opportunity, I will claim the moral high ground and say it was on principles. :D

Zahringer

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: April 21, 2012, 01:17:23 AM »
Info regarding the militia stealing: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,2294.0.html

Basically, still a few bugs in the system.  They are going to be disbanded.

Two days later, and the militia remain in the province. I fear that the disband button has also become bugged up. Has anyone reported the inoperable disband button yet?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: April 21, 2012, 01:23:10 AM »
Two days later, and the militia remain in the province. I fear that the disband button has also become bugged up. Has anyone reported the inoperable disband button yet?
Disbanding militia is not just click here to remove all militia thing, it costs gold and takes hours. The character has removed as much militia as he currently could, according to the devs, which was 30 men. Also he has gone to the capital to turn his bonds into gold.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: April 21, 2012, 04:38:07 AM »
No kidding. All these new folks don't know how hard we worked, carving out civilization from the wilderness! Bunch a damn hippies if you ask me!

More like we know how to let others do the work and we reap the benefits  ;)

it did. i personally looted mimer peninsula. i think that counts.

I remember all that! The ruler at the time, a female character I cant quite remember her name, said you couldnt go looting rural regions. Instead you disregarded her and the rest of Astrum and went out into the wild for the gold and your dream of creating a realm in Darfix. Too bad things went downhill so fast for the realm after you left. But these memories are for other places, how does Summerdale vs. LE fair? Any recent battles?
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: April 21, 2012, 05:06:44 AM »
More like we know how to let others do the work and we reap the benefits  ;)

I remember all that! The ruler at the time, a female character I cant quite remember her name, said you couldnt go looting rural regions. Instead you disregarded her and the rest of Astrum and went out into the wild for the gold and your dream of creating a realm in Darfix. Too bad things went downhill so fast for the realm after you left. But these memories are for other places, how does Summerdale vs. LE fair? Any recent battles?
Their armies are staring each other down. Summerdale is taking Torrents Breath, but it looks like LE isn't doing anything about it.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: April 21, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
I remember all that! The ruler at the time, a female character I cant quite remember her name, said you couldnt go looting rural regions. Instead you disregarded her and the rest of Astrum and went out into the wild for the gold and your dream of creating a realm in Darfix. Too bad things went downhill so fast for the realm after you left.
The ruler was Alexandria Dwarvenite, I don't think the player is in the game anymore. I don't really remember that looting was frowned upon by the rest of Astrum, as in that time Boreal was the General and had the authority to issue looting. He went as far as Mimiravair with his looting as far as I remember. At that time there was a deep rift with Morek, so any infighting in Astrum was avoided at that time, I think. I paused shortly after.
It was only after I unpaused that Boreal didn't find Astrum appealing anymore due to the many enemies he made. He always was a control freak and many people couldn't stand that. Darfix was never his initial goal when he helped found Astrum, but without any support left in Astrum he wanted to go somewhere else, and by Mathurin's advice he embarked to create Niselur. The gold for that endeavor was donated by the Warders of the Faith which at that time was composed of Dukes of SA, I don't remember looting for that gold. But yes, Niselur was doomed due to food issues and many monsters around. Dwilight was quite a harsh place back then.

But these memories are for other places, how does Summerdale vs. LE fair? Any recent battles?

We are doing well, I'd say. Have a lot of rp going on with newish players and are consistently winning the war. The tough part will be to take Mt. Black Nastrond again, so we'll see how that fares.