Author Topic: [Forum Game] World in Revolution 1861, Sign-up Thread  (Read 123823 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Haven't you ever heard: Don't find a land war in Russia.

We'll see if you can really change history THAT much.

Hey man, launching  the 100 Days Reforms at a calmer time was dumb. Launching a revised and slightly more Confucian-friendly version of them at the height of the Taiping Rebellion as a form of national rejuvenation just might work.

And I won't fight a land war in Russia. I'll fight a land war near Russia. I'll fight a land war in Afghanistan. It's totally different, and way more likely to succeed. Right?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I'll take the Empire of Brasil.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Okay, so Perth, you'll be the GM then, or the person determining how actions turn out and what happens?

Also, can nations fight and destroy each other? Take land, etc? I'm assuming so, but wasn't exactly sure after reading through.

Finally, we send orders to you, (GM) but we can also communicate with the other nations and discuss plans, treaties, etc...right? I mean I'm sure this is encouraged but just checking.

1) Yes, I will be GMing. And I hope I can do it well enough not to cause all of you to wish my soul burn in the fires of hell!

2) Absolutely. In fact, I encourage it. (war, that is)

3) Yes, do please RP with everyone else. Argue over stuff. Make presumptuous claims to things. Tell someone you are going to wipe them off the map. You can do this in the form of gov't "proclomations," newspaper articles, etc. Anything you want, really.

This is highly similar to another forum game which they called, "Qpawn", its found here: http://qpawn.beardedfool.com/forum/index.php.

Their entire forum seems to be devoted to running the game.

How many players will you be able to handle?

Interesting; I look at it!

And I think I can probably handle up to all of the nations I have listed at most. Any more than that and I would probably need some help.

I am the Qing.

Where do we get stats for our country?

Noted.

I will have them up, at latest, when we start the game. But I MIGHT be able to get them up by tomorrow.

I'll take the Empire of Brasil.

Noted!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Also, question:

How detailed will you be in looking up ongoing historical issues at the point that the game starts?

the Qing Empire was at the height of the Taiping rebellion in 1861. Do I need to resolve that, or will you not be looking at that stuff?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
And if anybody dares claim anything in southeast Asia... I will !@#$ your !@#$ up. And whoever plays Russia: I will be contesting you in central Asia.

History will be re-written as China is reborn.

Stay outa India!

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Also, question:

How detailed will you be in looking up ongoing historical issues at the point that the game starts?

the Qing Empire was at the height of the Taiping rebellion in 1861. Do I need to resolve that, or will you not be looking at that stuff?

I'll put it this way: I'll be using a combination of Wikipedia, a couple google searches, and maybe one or two world and European history text books I have around to put together a picture your starting situation. (EDIT: That is, probably only around 10-15 minutes to get a feel for the atmosphere of the country at the time and any major events/situations that may be effecting it. But certainly nothing extremely detailed or examined.)  Given that the Taiping rebellion was by no means a small thing (as well as the fact that the game is called World in Revolution, I suppose) then I think you should expect to have to deal with it. Though, of course, you can deal with it basically however you want you want. Continue the campaign against them, or perhaps give the Heavenly Kingdom their sovereignty.  ;)

Also, in case this needs stating... any major events POST-1861 (after the game starts) will all be game determined stuff, for the most part. Unless perhaps it is an event dealing with a Non-Player Country, perhaps the announcement of that happening will come in an update. That is to say, the French Second Empire may not fall, or the Confederates may achieve separation successfully, or the opposite.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:21:03 AM by Perth »
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Also, question:

I am also interested in this question.

Japan was just at the very beginnings of the fall of the Tokugawa regime. Can I begin the destruction of the Tokugawa regime right from the beginning or do I need to wait some time before doing it? (The reformation into the Imperial system again occurred in 1868, instead of 1861, but the stage was already well set in 1861 for the people to want a change. So I don't know how much backlash, would actually be expected.)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Will individual people affect the game much? Events that revolve around a certain person dying or enacting certain actions?

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Stay outa India!

Happy to, if you'll just stay out of Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, and the Stans. Oh, and Tibet.

Regarding the maps posted: is there a color key anywhere? I'm having a hard time identifying exactly which countries are independent and which are colonial territories.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
And on another note, those maps are from 1836, not 1861. 1861 is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BlankMap-World-1861.png

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I am also interested in this question.

Japan was just at the very beginnings of the fall of the Tokugawa regime. Can I begin the destruction of the Tokugawa regime right from the beginning or do I need to wait some time before doing it? (The reformation into the Imperial system again occurred in 1868, instead of 1861, but the stage was already well set in 1861 for the people to want a change. So I don't know how much backlash, would actually be expected.)

If I were you, I would go for it. Just make sure to find some good RP reason's for it. Get the Meiji Restoration going. Hell, we all know we now need some Imperial Japanese to at least be annoying to Vellos' China.

Will individual people affect the game much? Events that revolve around a certain person dying or enacting certain actions?

Certainly. Historical figures will be one way many factors are taken into account. Military leaders are one example. Another would be political leaders (such as Lincoln or Napoleon II). If Napoleon II dies, then you're going to have to find a good reason for the French Empire to survive and devolve into some revolutionary chaos or power struggles. If Robert E. Lee takes his army to lay siege to D.C., you're going to have to have a good reason if he is to be defeated.

And on another note, those maps are from 1836, not 1861. 1861 is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BlankMap-World-1861.png

This is the one I was originally looking at using. Especially since it will be much easier to modify, I think.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I'll take Russia, then. France was interesting (for the Paris Commune) but I think I'll have more flexibility with Russia... Plus I can mess with the Narodnaya Volya  ;D

And would be conquerors, beware. Russia doesn't take kindly to visitors.  8)
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I'll take Russia, then. France was interesting (for the Paris Commune) but I think I'll have more flexibility with Russia... Plus I can mess with the Narodnaya Volya  ;D

Hmmm...

I'll trade you noninterference in central asia for a quiet frontier?

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

Gotcha!

Also, what does everyone think of this map?

EDIT: Map is now on the first map with the Nation list.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:49:04 AM by Perth »

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Map looks great.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton