Author Topic: [Forum Game] World in Revolution 1861, Sign-up Thread  (Read 123826 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Found a Chinese propaganda map that shows the Sino/Russian border in 1860. The coloured regions are taken by Russia after the Peking Convention in 1860, and the border between the Korean Kingdom, Russia and China.

Yeah, China is definitely a bit bulky still. I think I will carve down it's western and northern borders a bit tomorrow.

Here is another good map from the times: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/1861_Johnson_Map_of_Asia_-_Geographicus_-_Asia-johnson-1861.jpg

I'll play The Argentine Republic. :)

Excellent. I'll put you down!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Here is another good map from the times: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/1861_Johnson_Map_of_Asia_-_Geographicus_-_Asia-johnson-1861.jpg

Heh... Pretty sweet map, but a little confusing for borders due to that red line.

Keep in mind that Korea is an independent country, and this map doesn't account for the treaty of Aigun, which gave Russia full access to the sea of Japan.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Heh... Pretty sweet map, but a little confusing for borders due to that red line.

Keep in mind that Korea is an independent country, and this map doesn't account for the treaty of Aigun, which gave Russia full access to the sea of Japan.

I will make sure I do that.

We currently have 8 countries playing. Anyone else? Would be nice to get some of other European nations chosen or perhaps the American ones. But anything is good!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
I changed my mind, started playing as Uruguay in the thread from which this got the inspiration, and even with loads of players Uruguay was an odd choice, by its dimensions.

There are several large countries that should have priority, like the USA, France, Prussia, Austria and Turkey at least. Thinking about taking either the French or the Ottoman Empires (both in crisis, but meh).

Edit: I recommend to think about removing Uruguay, and perhaps Paraguay too, and adding Spain, and perhaps Sweden or Netherlands.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:19:56 AM by JPierreD »
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Hmm... well I'd be willing to play Prussia if it is empty at the end of the sign up time.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Also, I'm going to put a tentative start date for Friday night. That's when I'll open an official thread for the game and everything.

Ok... I have exams for the next two weeks, so I might not be very active... but seeing as I am already goofing off here now, I'll probably be around.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Yeah, add the Dutch! They were a considerable power even then, and you can't add Belgium but exclude the people they got independence from :)

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I changed my mind, started playing as Uruguay in the thread from which this got the inspiration, and even with loads of players Uruguay was an odd choice, by its dimensions.

There are several large countries that should have priority, like the USA, France, Prussia, Austria and Turkey at least. Thinking about taking either the French or the Ottoman Empires (both in crisis, but meh).

Edit: I recommend to think about removing Uruguay, and perhaps Paraguay too, and adding Spain, and perhaps Sweden or Netherlands.

Hmm... well I'd be willing to play Prussia if it is empty at the end of the sign up time.

Yeah, add the Dutch! They were a considerable power even then, and you can't add Belgium but exclude the people they got independence from :)

I think you all are right; I had the same idea but since some of you all seemed excited to play some of those south american nations I didn't say anything.

Originally I think I was trying to get some geographical diversity across the map, however I think I will remove Paraguay and Uruguay for sure. Sypher, if you want to play a larger power than Argentina that would be good, but I also do not mind keeping Argentina either as the Brazilians do need a counter force in S. America. So, it is up to you!

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Maybe adding the Joseon Dynasty in Korea would spice things up in Asia?

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

To spice up Asia and Africa, it would be nice to have Spain and Netherlands. Get the Spanish East Indies, Batavia, Mallacas, and Borneo in the picture, as well as Cuba and a few of Spain's African colonies.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile

Nah, we already have Russia, the UK, China, and Japan.

I assume Perth will GM the non-player countries as less than 100% static; at least follow approximate real history. But with China, the UK, Russia, and Japan, we have the big players already in place. What we need is for somebody to play France, the Ottomans, Austria-Hungary, Italy, etc. 2 players in South America (plus European interventions) makes sense, 4 players in East Asia... we need more in Europe. Or we need some folks to grab the USA and CSA.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

To spice up Asia and Africa, it would be nice to have Spain and Netherlands. Get the Spanish East Indies, Batavia, Mallacas, and Borneo in the picture, as well as Cuba and a few of Spain's African colonies.

Spain will come for sure. Their many colonial possessions at the time will help provide interaction across the globe.

Netherlands I am considering as well, but there has to be someone who wants to play them to bother adding them. Anyone?

So far I have:

JPierreD: French/Ottomans
Sypher: Argentina/Prussia

Also, any countries not chosen by the time we start (USA, CSA, Austrians, etc.) I will remove their coloring from the map. Not that they will not exist during the game, obviously; just that I will only have Player Nations colored in on the map as to better keep track of things.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Nah, we already have Russia, the UK, China, and Japan.

I assume Perth will GM the non-player countries as less than 100% static; at least follow approximate real history. But with China, the UK, Russia, and Japan, we have the big players already in place. What we need is for somebody to play France, the Ottomans, Austria-Hungary, Italy, etc. 2 players in South America (plus European interventions) makes sense, 4 players in East Asia... we need more in Europe. Or we need some folks to grab the USA and CSA.

Agreed.

And yes, for the non-player nations they WILL do stuff and I may insert small RP's from them from time to time. But mostly they'll do stuff in the reports and I will try to guide those nations fairly historically unless of course player actions intervene with them or cause them to act or react.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
The map has been updated to:

- Remove Paraguay and Uruguay.
- Add the Spanish Empire and the Netherlands.
- Size down the rather bulky Chinese northern borders.
- Add some Russian territory from the Chinese borders.

So, JPierreD, what nation would you like?

ALSO: I am working on getting country stats created; hopefully will have them up later tonight for everyone's review to ensure they are reasonable.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Okay, here are the rough ideas for starting National Stats. I based them primarily off what the people I got this game from used as starting Stats as well as some Wiki and Google searching. PLEASE give me some feedback on what should be changed, what is not really correct, etc.

Player: Adriddae
Nation: United Kingdom
Bank: 600
Income: 450
Trade Balance: 50
Stability: 8
Population: 29,100,000
Industry: Level 15
Infrastructure: Level 7 / 0 Colonial
Army: 200,000 Regulars / 0 Conscripts
Navy: 35 Large Ships / 125 Small Ships

Player: Sacha
Nation: Kingdum of Belgium
Bank: 200
Income: 100
Trade Balance: 15
Population: 4,530,000
Industry: Level 7
Infrastructure: Level 5 / 0 C
Army: 50,000 R / 0 C
Navy: 2 L / 10 S

Player: Lefanis
Nation: Russian Empire
Bank: 200
Income: 100
Trade Balance: 10
Stability: 7
Population: 74,100,000
Industry: Level 2
Infrastructure: Level 4
Army   : 950,000 R / 0 C
Navy: 5 L / 25 S

Player: Vellos
Nation: Qing Empire
Bank: 250
Income: 20
Trade Balance: 45
Stability: 4
Population: 420,000,000
Industry: Level 0
Infrastructure: Level 3
Army: 2,500,000 R / 350,000 C
Navy: 0 L / 50 S

Player: Dante Silverfire
Nation: Tokugawa Shogunate
Bank: 100
Income: 25
Trade Balance: 35
Stability: 6
Population: 30,000,000
Industry: Level 0
Infrastructure: Level 2
Army   : 800,000 R / 0 C
Navy: 1 L / 25 Small

Player: Indirik
Nation: Empire of Brazil
Bank: 50
Income: 20
Trade Balance: 5
Population: 8,000,000
Industry: Level 4
Infrastructure: Level 1
Army: 30,000 R / 0 C
Navy: 5 L / 15 S

Player: Sypher
Nation: Argentine Republic
Bank: 30
Income: 10
Trade Balance: 0
Population: 1,300,000
Industry: Level 1
Infrastructure: Level 1
Army: 12,000 R / 0 C
Navy: 1 L / 6 S
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:33:18 AM by Perth »