Author Topic: 'Too Much Peace' Realm-exceptions, an edit to the current code.  (Read 6247 times)

Maxim

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Basically, I think there should be a qualifier for the Too Much Peace mechanic.

Small Realms, like Summerdale and Averoth, can be utterly crippled by the Too Much Peace code, which basically forces combat. What you are essentially doing is making little realms find a War to throw themselves into in order to survive. If there are no Monsters then there's nothing to stave off Peace, and indeed monsters barely seem to do the trick at all. Regardless of the fight on Dwilight monsters are crazily strong (yes I know the justification) adventurers if efficient enough can literally then starve a small realm of >anything< to fight. It becomes a forced situation where they have to find war, even if it goes against what is sensible, practical, or indeed even fun or fair.

Big realms on the other hand should not have as much excuse. There are usually other large nations for them to fight, even if the results are massively destructive or one side or another as with any war. Big realms can afford to pay the price of Too Much Peace for a while since they have more gold, more regions, and more troops as standard, so even with stat and CS reductions, and region damage, they can hold out longer, and have less excuse for not fighting when it comes to the logistical capability of the realm.

Therefore, It seems to make sense to make a "Region limit" or "CS limit", (I'd think a mix of the two but thats complex) that adjusts when Too Much Peace becomes an issue. Just as with a Graded Tax System, but here you have different levels of severity depending on the size of the realm, with larger realms suffering the usual Too Much Peace but smaller realms being given less damage or indeed excluded from it altogether (what I think is most sensible) if they are under, say, 5 regions or such.

Because its fine having a code that throws big realms into war with other big realms. That gets the game moving. It seems silly, especially when you have to act IC and make the decision from an IC perspective, to make Small Realms find wars to jump into. Invariably they will end up against much bigger foes.

Auto-Realm-Destruction. Total-Character-Discrediation
"Who are you .. and are you relevant?"