Author Topic: Dwilight calendar  (Read 5901 times)

Dhalgren

• Knight
    • View Profile
Dwilight calendar
« Topic Start: April 18, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »
How do I find out about the in-game year?
I noticed some people use 7 YD or similar.
Ven - RIP
Orb - Beluaterra

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Dhalgren

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight calendar
« Reply #2: April 18, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »
That was easy, thanks :)
Ven - RIP
Orb - Beluaterra

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 18, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »
No problem. The calendar was designed several years ago as an IC way of tracking things instead of real life years. You will find that Dwilight has quite an interesting history. I am not sure how many people actually update it anymore, but I hope someone does.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 18, 2012, 12:59:24 PM »
Note that this only applies to Dwilight. Dwilight was opened later than the other islands and has a serious atmosphere, as well as seasons, which means the years have more meaning there than anywhere else.

In my experience other islands tend to use either the real world calendar, or the same with the years put 1000 years back (e.g. April 18th, 1011). It's just a convention though.

The game mechanics do not actually define years.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 18, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
To the extent that there is an IG year, it is 2012.

Anything else is purely a player convention, and is neither official nor universal.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dhalgren

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 18, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
It does add a lot to the serious medieval atmosphere. I would feel somehow weird to sign a poem or an essay with the date 2012, Spring 18YD is much better.
Ven - RIP
Orb - Beluaterra

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 18, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »
It does add a lot to the serious medieval atmosphere. I would feel somehow weird to sign a poem or an essay with the date 2012, Spring 18YD is much better.

The YD system is actually one of the better ones I have seen in-game, and I have no objection to it. It's also pretty widely used in Dwilight. I just wanted to warn that none of the systems described on the Wiki are an official in-game year—which why none of them will be displayed anywhere in-game.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 18, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
The YD system is actually one of the better ones I have seen in-game, and I have no objection to it. It's also pretty widely used in Dwilight. I just wanted to warn that none of the systems described on the Wiki are an official in-game year—which why none of them will be displayed anywhere in-game.

So they're.... exactly like real calendars: cultural constructs sustained by collective utility.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dhalgren

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 18, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »
ok got it. So that's why submissions on the wiki are made with the ooc date, but then some have the IC date in the actual article
Ven - RIP
Orb - Beluaterra

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 18, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
FWIW - The wiki often uses semantics in several places to perform various automated functions. The most notable use of dates is for the unique item timelines. These timelines will not work with anything other than standard, real-world dates. Dates such as "1012" or "12 YD" will be ignored by the semantic wiki. Since we have put a lot of work into the semantics, I would hate to see the semantic properties get corrupted by the use of these non-standard dates.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 18, 2012, 10:10:31 PM »
Oh the YD system is nothing compared to the Asylonian Moon calendar system.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Dhalgren

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 18, 2012, 10:29:04 PM »
that sounds incredible, Ven needs to write an essay about it. Where do I find out more?
Ven - RIP
Orb - Beluaterra

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 18, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »
You have to write until Glaumring invents it, first.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 19, 2012, 12:06:21 AM »
You have to write until Glaumring invents it, first.

:P

What of the D'Haran turtle calandar? We measure the seasons by the reproductive cycle of sea turtles!  8)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron