Author Topic: Stronghold locations  (Read 12746 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: Stronghold locations
« Reply #30: April 27, 2012, 12:16:48 AM »
Yeah, because that might mean you needed some actual strategy!

And everyone knows the only kind of war that's any fun at all is the kind where you can just gather your whole army into a blob and charge it straight at the enemy without having to think about anything!

Sorry, but there's no strategy you can employ that would change the situation in my example due to the nature of the map. The terrain and other variables make bypassing the choke points, if not impossible, then highly impractical. Armies have been lost in the mountains that are the only practical way around the choke points. Small raiding parties have been tried and they've been largely ineffectual. Some of the best generals in the game have banged their heads against that wall and come up empty.

BM does not reflect real life in this in any way. There's no way to ambush anyone with a smaller force and win. You can't sneak a small force past an enemy if they have active scouts. There are lots of things you can do in real life that make choke points by-passable. BM has a limited game engine that does not allow for such tactics. No amount of "split your army into smaller groups" is going to change that fact.

So I'll continue to say choke points(and adding strongholds to them) will continue to be less fun in BM than they seem on paper.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.