Author Topic: Judicial Punishments with Teeth  (Read 15295 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Judicial Punishments with Teeth
« Reply #15: March 21, 2011, 02:11:55 AM »
Allowing judges to directly affect H/P would be fair for game balance if it also affects the judge's H/P.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

egamma

« Reply #16: March 22, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »
Maybe we can finally have the judges power in accordance with that whole weak/strong/medium thing the ruler gets to decide. Strong judges can arrest people ;)

Great idea.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 23, 2011, 02:50:01 PM »
Maybe we can finally have the judges power in accordance with that whole weak/strong/medium thing the ruler gets to decide. Strong judges can arrest people ;)

I love the idea of that. Being arrested by the judge seems a lot more embarrassing then getting a fine slapped on you and I'd imagine someone would be more hesitant to commit a certain crime if it landed them in jail. Its not very exciting in there, after all.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 23, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »
Arresting Nobles from your own Realm could get very tricky, as you can then ban someone while he can't escape. That's a bit too much power. The Noble should be given the opportunity to avoid that.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 23, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »
That is true. I've seen it happen a couple times where someone ended up in their own realm's prison. The judge then bans from the regular ban page, not the dungeon page. That way the prisoner doesn't get tossed out when banned. Then you wait until the ban goes into effect. Once the ban is active, the judge can do anything they want to the now-rogue prisoner.

This would be *extremely* powerful, and allow the judge to effectively capture/execute anyone they wanted. Or capture and ban even nobles who had protection from their lords via good marks.

There's a lot of thought that would need to go into something like this.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #20: March 23, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »
Arresting Nobles from your own Realm could get very tricky, as you can then ban someone while he can't escape. That's a bit too much power. The Noble should be given the opportunity to avoid that.

This is already possible if you are playing a priest. Not only that, but from my experience an arrest now causes you to forfeit all your titles.

I would say that the Judge could *attempt* to arrest a noble, but they could resist and cause a major loss of H/P to the Judge. Chance of failure could be based on a number of factors: Unaligned vs Knight vs Lord vs Duke, size of unit, Noble vs Royal, etc.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 24, 2011, 03:49:17 AM »
This is already possible if you are playing a priest. Not only that, but from my experience an arrest now causes you to forfeit all your titles.

I would say that the Judge could *attempt* to arrest a noble, but they could resist and cause a major loss of H/P to the Judge. Chance of failure could be based on a number of factors: Unaligned vs Knight vs Lord vs Duke, size of unit, Noble vs Royal, etc.

Agreed.  I'm all for an attempt to arrest.  How to work that attempt would be interesting...Maybe make it so the Judge has to actually be in-region and click an "arrest" button, and the game runs some calcs to see if the Judge's unit wins against the other noble?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Zakilevo

« Reply #22: March 24, 2011, 05:16:15 AM »
Like I said before, Judge should use his units to arrest a noble or maybe order militia. They shouldn't be able to just arrest someone out of blue.

The noble under arrest should be able to choose either he is going to resist and fight or give up hope and let the judge capture him.

egamma

« Reply #23: March 24, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Like I said before, Judge should use his units to arrest a noble or maybe order militia. They shouldn't be able to just arrest someone out of blue.

The noble under arrest should be able to choose either he is going to resist and fight or give up hope and let the judge capture him.

The problem with giving the player a choice is that the player might not log in for 2 days--is he holed up in his estate with the Judge's unit surrounding the place?

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 24, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »
One way to go about it would be to give the judge two options to make an arrest. Option 1 would be something like "Ask noble to surrender," which would give a noble an amount of time to surrender, and after that time had elapsed militia would attempt to arrest the noble in question. For simplicity's sake, the noble would be able to surrender in any region of the realm.

Option 2 could be "Attempt to arrest noble" which would use the Judge's unit to immediately attempt to arrest a noble.  Chances for success would depend on the size and strength of the arresting unit vs the resisting unit.  Add a chance, depending on the status(militia should never aid in the arrest of a Royal, and militia should be more likely to assist in the arrest of a unaligned knight than a Duke) of the arrestee, for the militia to join in on the arrest. If a Judge attempts to arrest a Lord within that Lord's own region, then the militia of that region would naturally aid their Lord.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 24, 2011, 09:40:14 PM »
Maybe we can have the judge to apoint one or two(depending on the size of realm in nobles) sub judges who can also arrest nobles withtin the realm.

Should we also allow the option to arrest foreign nobles?
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 24, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »
Should we also allow the option to arrest foreign nobles?

With your own unit, I can imagine it, but the "ask noble to surrender" does not make much sense for foreign nobles.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 25, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »
How about torture or ban punishment.It's like this:
Oance the sentence is given the noble has the following options:
A)accept torture-he has 3 days to do this after the sentence is cast.
B)Ignore sentence and get banned-this happens if he has not accepted torture in 3 days.
C)Leave the realm in 3 days.
The judge will receive no penalties for this torture since it is being done with the noble's approval.
He can also determine how severe the torture will be.

Being unconscious is worse than jail.At lest there are things you can do in jail.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:48:40 PM by mikm »

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 25, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »
How about torture or ban punishment.It's like this:
Oance the sentence is given the noble has the following options:
A)accept torture-he has 3 days to do this after the sentence is cast.
B)Ignore sentence and get banned-this happens if he has not accepted torture in 3 days.
C)Leave the realm in 3 days.
The judge will receive no penalties for this torture since it is being done with the noble's approval.
He can also determine how severe the torture will be.

Being unconscious is worse than jail.At lest there are things you can do in jail.

How many nobles would honestly submit to being tortured? There are also quite a few realms who consider torture the worst thing you can do to a noble, so I doubt that would ever really work.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 25, 2011, 06:11:42 PM »
Well,they caused trouble and judge is kind enough to let them stay in exchange for a little pain.