Author Topic: Food  (Read 105048 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Food
« Reply #300: August 08, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »
Starvation compounds.  If you leave a region with a couple bushels of deficit for a few weeks, that is the expected result.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #301: August 08, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »
On the topic of food, the way that food deprivation is currently handled is really poor. If a region is producing 6 bushels a day, and it needs 7, it still starves really badly. That's like saying: if you normally eat 7 slices of bread a day, and you now eat 6, you will starve. Serious wtf right there.

The only possible reasoning that I can think behind this is that the richer people horde the food and let the others starve. But the food is distributed from the regional granaries, so presumably it is controlled in some manner.

You obviously haven't been in a real starving region...

That's more like 6 out of 7 people are eating, meaning 1 out of 7 are starving... If you're lucky... Considering the usual hoarding of supplies in dire times, more and more peasants starve as nobles and merchants horde all the food.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #302: August 09, 2012, 12:09:14 AM »
Well, this is what is says from a region that is mssing one to two bushels daily:

"Starvation is horrible, people are begging for food in the streets."

The only one that I have seen worse is "Starvation is literally killing all life in the region".

to make comparisons you need to do the following

1 region with deficit of 1 a day
1 region with deficit of 5 a day

see if one of them gets worse quicker.
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #303: August 09, 2012, 07:49:50 AM »
It's not quite that simple.

A region that needs 10 bushels, but is lacking 1 will go worse slower than a region that needs 4 bushels and is lacking 1.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304: August 09, 2012, 09:35:03 AM »
That's more like 6 out of 7 people are eating, meaning 1 out of 7 are starving... If you're lucky...

If you are /very/ lucky indeed. Chances are most of the food is being feasted upon or even rotting in the rich people's homes. Peasants not starving does not mean they are properly feeding themselves, but rather that they are surviving. Hmm... this makes me think about a feature request for the possibility of regions eating more than usual to improve morale... There was something like that in Lords of the Realm. Thoughts?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #305: August 09, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »
I like idea - its risky because it depletes stock and burns through food/money, but is similar to the whole invesment of gold to increase production thing.

It makes sense and is historically-viable as the idea of allowing wider circulation of more plentiful food in the Middle Ages would make people flock to a region and more easily devote themselves, not to mention make the peasants healthier, happier, and more efficient by proxy.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #306: August 09, 2012, 03:35:26 PM »
Apparently another drought has hit Asylon, I cant really tell because the interface is all bugged today and everything on the iphone is bugged but Asylon will probably not last this next drought... Are we the only realm getting hit by this 3rd wave? I hope not...
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307: August 09, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
We have some drought regions in Astrum, but most of our regions have been "average" lately. We may not be as bad as Asylon, but we're still running short of food. Some frantic selling has managed to keep things from getting too bad yet. Most of our cities and townslands will run out of food in the next two or three days. My duchy was saved due to two rather large shipments of grain brought in from Morek during the previous Summer. Even so, we won't make it out of Spring without some starvation in Libidizedd and probably Dizeddo as well.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #308: August 09, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
Also, the 25% increase in food supply has just started to appear on the stats graph. Looks like the northern and eastern realms, and Terran, got a hug bump in supply. Aurvandil, Asylon, and the Grand Duchy got big bumps, but are all still running a deficit.

And then there's D'Hara. Seriously, what do you guys eat? Dirt?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #309: August 09, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »
you didn't notice all those cities going rogue?
firefox

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #310: August 09, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
Starving peasants. Just the usual starvation rounds for D'Hara, it's their concept of survival of the fittest. You mark my words, soon there'll be nothing but badass peasants there.

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #311: August 09, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
Well I offered to sell D'Hara 2500 units of food a week and a half ago but there ruler just ignored me so their food problems are from their own causing.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #312: August 09, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »
Is it just me or has it basically become 'Foodmaster' in Dwilight, not 'Battlemaster'?

Is it truly difficult for the realms to stay out of starvation, or are the starving regions snowballing so much that it has made the entire continent thin on food, causing starvation?

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #313: August 09, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »
I am liking the way things are now it is starting to make the game more realistic. I was growing tired of people just seeing food as something cheap and easy to get not worth protecting and fighting over. I believe now people are starting to realize the importance of hording food as well as gaining regions that will produce large surpluses.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:59:52 PM by Creed »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #314: August 09, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »
Food has always been important. It just so happens that you are a member of the realm that has the absolutely hugest surplus EVAR in the history of the entire game. Food to Morek is like water to fish. This is, after all, the realm that ha something like 35K+ food in reserves at one time. They were giving food away by the thousands as bribes and favors.