Author Topic: Food/Trade Feedback  (Read 13958 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Food/Trade Feedback
« Reply #15: May 08, 2012, 11:00:46 PM »
Re enabling rotting proves to increase the micromanagement of the food, now I have to worry about not stockpiling too much food in one region and this means I have transfer food back to regions and post small buy orders when I need food.

What would it take for you to stop worrying about rot and simply accept it without trying to "work against" it? Basically, what would it take to remove your desire to micro-manage?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 08, 2012, 11:11:01 PM »
What would it take for you to stop worrying about rot and simply accept it without trying to "work against" it? Basically, what would it take to remove your desire to micro-manage?

Well, judging from the way many people have been acting, removing the line in the report that tells them about rot would reduce the amount they freak out about it.

However, I think having that line is a good thing, and it's just something they're going to need to get used to.

It might, however, be worthwhile making a general announcement about the fact that there has always been rot (and in greater amount than there is now), they just didn't get told about it before.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #17: May 08, 2012, 11:19:41 PM »
I don't understand all the fuss about it either. Don't store so much food in the granaries. Just put good buy offers to attract sellers. Not hard. I put 20 gold per 100 bushels and I am actually getting food from other realms.

I have recently built another granary and now my region can store 3k food but with the new changes and addition of rot, I think the new granary isn't that necessary.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:21:51 PM by Zakilevo »

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 08, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »

Being able to store food without having to concern myself about the rotting proces, as it stands now the more food I store the more I loss on rotting which means I should keep as low stock as possible to decrease the amount of food I'm losing. I don't care too much about the amount of bushels lost, as there needs to be a food balance on the continent, so for my part cities get increased consumption. Then I can just buy all the food I see and not have to worry about too many variables and thus reduce the amount of thought I have to put in it.

If that isn't an option I will just need to learn to work with it again.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: May 08, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »
Production in Jorradith is at 99%, with a full population the region produces a surplus of 6 bushels per day after the production nerfs; with 363 bushels in the granary because I haven't had a chance to go back there in a while, 4 bushels rot.  Weather in the North Shore region is "average" right now.

Also, what is the period of the rot?  How often does food rot?  Every day, every few days?  I'd thought it was every day but I didn't get a rot report on my daily region report today.

Re enabling rotting proves to increase the micromanagement of the food, now I have to worry about not stockpiling too much food in one region and this means I have transfer food back to regions and post small buy orders when I need food.

If there are 2000 bushels of food in your city, 20 of those will rot; if you have 200 bushels of food across 10 regions, 2 bushels in each region will rot, or 20 bushels.  The only difference is whether or not you bought the food that is presently rotting elsewhere or not, which you're right, will increase micromanagement if you are trying to get the most bang for your buck.

It will also increase micromanagement if you want to maximize your profits.  As you store more food, your effective production drops and so food stores need to be kept low as you send out small amounts for sale more frequently in order to make the most money you can.  Stored food in rurals now also caps out at (depending on the rot period; I thought it was daily but didn't get a rot report on my daily region report today), for Jorradith, between 500 and 600 depending on the weather and assuming food rots daily.

Added potential to micromanage seems kind of nice, as long as it doesn't end up being required and the difference doesn't end up being that large.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 08, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
Being able to store food without having to concern myself about the rotting proces, as it stands now the more food I store the more I loss on rotting which means I should keep as low stock as possible to decrease the amount of food I'm losing.

Aigh!

No.

Nononono.

While strictly speaking, this is true—if you store 100 bushels, 1 rots; if you store 200 bushels, 2 rot—it's not like storing 3000 bushels will make a greater percentage of it rot than storing 30.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter where the food is stored. If it's stored in Outer Giask, or Mellifera, or Uttar Pradesh, it'll rot just as fast as if it's stored in Giask.

The only thing you can gain by moving food around like this is making sure you don't have to see the rot messages every morning.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 08, 2012, 11:49:18 PM »
Delvin, I'm talking about me as lord. Couldn't care less about the other regions, so me as lord needs to micromanage as the food rots in my granaries.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: May 08, 2012, 11:49:27 PM »
The only thing you can gain by moving food around like this is making sure you don't have to see the rot messages every morning.

He also wouldn't have to pay for the portion of the food that rots which, depending on food stores (if, by convention, we say that the most recently bought food goes to the top, while regions eat from the bottom) could be pretty high.  If he has food left for 23 days after factoring in rot on that food (not enough for winter) and he buys more now, then by the time his city gets around to eating that new food towards the end of winter, 22% (1 - .99^23) of it will have rotted in *his* granaries instead of someone else's, which is an effective 28% increase on  the price per bushel that he pays.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 09, 2012, 12:05:37 AM »
What would it take for you to stop worrying about rot and simply accept it without trying to "work against" it?

Based on what many people have said: Automatic buy offers. Since the complaints, as I understand them, are not so much, "I need to buy food more often than I want," but rather, "I have to go to the market myself and place buy offers more often than I want," I think this would satisfy an awful lot of gripes.
Timothy Collett

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 09, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »
I'm still not at all convinced that your micromanaging is gaining you anything but stress.

I'd be curious to know how much gold D`Este is projecting to save...

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 09, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »
I'd be curious to know how much gold D`Este is projecting to save...

None likely if consumption is increased to compensate for the removed rot. Just at least I could store as much as I want too without worying about rotting.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 09, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »
the only thing is some cheapskate will think... heck, why am i buying food to rot in my granary when i can let it rot in someone else's granary and buy the unrotted bit when i need it.

of course.. the seller can just turn around and say. sure thing, i'll just let the lot of them rot and hike the price on the remaining food when you get around to buying them. i think it's best to just let markets work things out... i think there's still a glut, just from seeing the extremely low buy price (10-20) and fairly low sell price (20 odd?) in the market recent mapping tour to the western bit of dwi..

when the glut is burnt away a fair bit, tweak it again then.
firefox

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 09, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
Based on what many people have said: Automatic buy offers. Since the complaints, as I understand them, are not so much, "I need to buy food more often than I want," but rather, "I have to go to the market myself and place buy offers more often than I want," I think this would satisfy an awful lot of gripes.

Automatic sell offers would be nice too, so us region lords don't have to watch our granaries fill up to production capacity (where production = rot, which right now for Jorradith is between 500 and 600 bushels, assuming rot happens every day(?)).  Obviously the numbers are going to be tweaked more, but as it stands right now with 300 bushels in warehouse, with average weather and 99% production in Spring, my production of food is halved per day.

Relatedly, since there was a lot of bellyaching, I'm just posting these numbers up to get them out there, since I see a lot of Margraves posting but not a lot of Counts.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 09, 2012, 03:13:37 AM »
Aigh!

No.

Nononono.

While strictly speaking, this is true—if you store 100 bushels, 1 rots; if you store 200 bushels, 2 rot—it's not like storing 3000 bushels will make a greater percentage of it rot than storing 30.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter where the food is stored. If it's stored in Outer Giask, or Mellifera, or Uttar Pradesh, it'll rot just as fast as if it's stored in Giask.

My granaries can hold 6000 bushels. If I have 12000 bushels stored, the rate of decay will be much greater than if I have 6000. As such, the game encourages me to keep food stores at about 6000 bushels to minimize rot.

That being said, that's neither new nor abnormal.

My experiences, prior to this change, with setting up buy offers is that when I put offers to buy thousands of bushels for 10 gold per 100, I quickly found sellers.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: May 09, 2012, 04:15:43 AM »
People are going to panic and hold on to their food for a few weeks, then will start selling again.

Why would they resume trading, until the numbers change? It's very unstrategic to export food when you know you are a net consumer. Which all of the realms seem to have become (as the top food supply realms have reported deficits).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron