Author Topic: Luria Nova vs Fissoa  (Read 51988 times)

Madigan

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Luria Nova vs Fissoa
« Reply #135: May 12, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »
Good thing we will rename the whole thing later on.... confederation.. pff

H-hey! Come on, Confederation is a great name! Can't you just hear terrified scouts stammering out "T-the Confederation forces are here!"
I stand by the name as both rad and hella sweet.
Silverfire: So who married Alice?
Woelfy: She's married to Hendrick Madigan
Silverfire: How much would it cost for someone to assasinate Hendrick Madigan for me

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #136: May 12, 2012, 11:46:06 PM »
H-hey! Come on, Confederation is a great name! Can't you just hear terrified scouts stammering out "T-the Confederation forces are here!"
I stand by the name as both rad and hella sweet.

In a space opera? Sure.

In medieval times? Not so much. Empires are where it's at if you want to inspire fear.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #137: May 13, 2012, 01:20:32 AM »
In a space opera? Sure.

In medieval times? Not so much. Empires are where it's at if you want to inspire fear.

Well, the Swiss Confederacy had what were considered elite pikeman.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #138: May 13, 2012, 01:22:45 AM »
Well, the Swiss Confederacy had what were considered elite pikeman.

Which came after the Medieval period.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: May 13, 2012, 01:40:01 AM »
Which came after the Medieval period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Swiss_Confederacy

Traditional founding date: 1291. It's a very rare example though.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #140: May 13, 2012, 01:48:51 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Swiss_Confederacy

Traditional founding date: 1291. It's a very rare example though.

So late medieval, I'm guessing.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #141: May 13, 2012, 04:47:34 AM »
The Crown of Aragon was probably the earliest Western European example.  But that name doesn't really inspire fear either.  It sounds like a piece of jewelry.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: May 13, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »
The Crown of Aragon was probably the earliest Western European example.  But that name doesn't really inspire fear either.  It sounds like a piece of jewelry.

Was that really a confederation though? If you are looking at the same wikipedia list as I am, it clearly says it includes personal unions.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #143: May 13, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »
Was that really a confederation though? If you are looking at the same wikipedia list as I am, it clearly says it includes personal unions.

There's that element we don't have, but others are similar.  A shared cultural bond, autonomy as it pertains to sets of laws and taxation policies, et cetera.  The Confederacy document isn't the last stop, though.  We're doing the other stuff now.  If we can make all of it work (and a lot of work has gone into striking a balance between stability and autonomy) we might pull off something unique in BM.  It could also come crashing down.  This is Luria, after all.  Everyone that's been deeply involved seems to be in agreement that the whole thing needs to have as little overhead and be as inclusive as possible (for Federated partners only, of course) for it to survive. 

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #144: May 13, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
Realms working together?  Blasphemy!  Backstabbing all the way.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: May 13, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »
Realms working together?  Blasphemy!  Backstabbing all the way.

We're talking about Luria here, right?

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #146: May 13, 2012, 07:51:57 PM »
We're talking about Luria here, right?

Luria changed the last RL year orso, two stable powers are in control now with each enough land of their own. Although, everyone will have their own definition of stable..

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #147: May 13, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »
Enough land? What on earth are you talking about, you crazy person?

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148: May 14, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »
Enough is too little, and too much is just about enough!

There is raising individual power at LN, whom greed has no limit, so that all Lurians will have even close enough land to live side by side with that power, they will need... hmm.. everything, and mayby a bit more than DWI can offer.

-jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Madigan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #149: May 14, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »
In a space opera? Sure.

All part of my plan to turn BM into a medieval themed space opera  ;D

There's that element we don't have, but others are similar.  A shared cultural bond, autonomy as it pertains to sets of laws and taxation policies, et cetera.  The Confederacy document isn't the last stop, though.  We're doing the other stuff now.  If we can make all of it work (and a lot of work has gone into striking a balance between stability and autonomy) we might pull off something unique in BM.  It could also come crashing down.  This is Luria, after all.  Everyone that's been deeply involved seems to be in agreement that the whole thing needs to have as little overhead and be as inclusive as possible (for Federated partners only, of course) for it to survive. 

This and the Swiss Confederacy was what I based the naming scheme and some of the terms of the initial document on, the Crown of Aragon being the prime example, but one could also compare it to the brief alliances between Italian city-states. Though, hopefully this won't be as brief and we won't have the Venetians being mercurial idiots and selling all the weapons to the Ottoman Turks  ;D.

And, indeed, the Confederacy is far from the last stop - its just an important first step that we all agreed on and adopted. The foundation of a more united Luria. I'm just excited to see how it changes the internal politics and feuding that already goes on in our happy peninsula.
Silverfire: So who married Alice?
Woelfy: She's married to Hendrick Madigan
Silverfire: How much would it cost for someone to assasinate Hendrick Madigan for me