Author Topic: Luria  (Read 364740 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #1245: May 11, 2013, 04:07:13 PM »
This, exactly.

The fact that she is blind is purely RP. The fact that she trained extra-hard in swordsmanship to overcome this is also purely RP. The game mechanics only recognize what her actual skill with the sword is, not "what it would be if she wasn't blind".

Thus, if she had 80% sword skill, then that would mean that she had trained to such an extent that she was as good without sight as someone else with 80% skill was with sight.

(Disclaimer: She didn't have 80% sword skill.)

The game has a training option. Had she used it all of her life, her swordfighting skill would be higher. Obviously, she did not spend any significant amount of time or resources on training, if her swordfighting skill is as low as has been claimed. The compensation claim would be the equivalent of stating that a region loves its lord because of all the time he spends with them dealing justice, when said character never once held a court, or, you know, claiming that that all of the bureaucrats of a realm have been dealt with without the realm ever, say, going into anarchy.

As for the composer comparison, it doesn't fit as others have said. There are different ways to see music, failing will not kill you, and, even more importantly, it is a solo operation without any deadline. I really can't see how beating someone with an oversized knife had anything to do with arts or how it could be compared in such a manner.

And indeed, as Penchant stated, I was running on the assumption that she was an ex-advy with a godly swordfighting skill %. But as Shizzle stated, that's irrelevant, as even with low sword skill that's still RPing a handicap that is contradicted by game mechanics. If she wanted to RP as blind, she should have at the very least avoided all uses of the swordfighting skill she could. Otherwise, it's just corny RP. Because she's trying to get everyone to RP on how badass the queen is, "she was blind but still stroke him down!", in total contradiction with game mechanics, while in reality she was dueling a character with exactly the same capacities as herself, and thus not doing anything truly badass. It'd be as if I RPed that I could levitate and fly, and that thus I should be worshiped, when obviously the game mechanics don't allow me to do so in any form.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron